Want to go wireless and get away from DSTV

Dracos13

I live in Mountain view Pretoria

I want to move away from DSTV, looking at wifi (satellite), I see some 24 month contracts for just under a R1000 a month, month to month nets you an exorbitant installation fee, some up to R5000.

So, I do research on WISP's and I get worried, I see a lot of bad comments of bad speeds, no or bad service. Then the fact that in many cases they want a 24 month contract which is mostly frowned upon on this forum.

So I am stuck, I would like to drop DSTV and stream but I might end up worse off. No Fibre where I stay...what options do I have?

kabusi

Expert Member
I live in Mountain view Pretoria

I want to move away from DSTV, looking at wifi (satellite), I see some 24 month contracts for just under a R1000 a month, month to month nets you an exorbitant installation fee, some up to R5000.

So, I do research on WISP's and I get worried, I see a lot of bad comments of bad speeds, no or bad service. Then the fact that in many cases they want a 24 month contract which is mostly frowned upon on this forum.

So I am stuck, I would like to drop DSTV and stream but I might end up worse off. No Fibre where I stay...what options do I have?
Maybe look into LTE offerings.
Many are month to month now and you could always just try it out on a 4G device like a phone to determine if it is good enough for you without commiting to hardware.

Dracos13

I have looked, seems the best speeds I get is from MTN and they are expensive, also only 24 month contract

kabusi

Expert Member
I have looked, seems the best speeds I get is from MTN and they are expensive, also only 24 month contract
I am in no way recommending any service provider or network because experience differs as do offers.
If possible, first try a prepaid sim to check coverage and get an idea of speeds.
Then look at the month to month offers by ISP's such as:
Web Africa (Telkom)
Supersonic (MTN)
Afrihost (Telkom)
Axcess (Telkom)
Rain (uncapped 19 hours)
Also read the various threads on MYBB relating to peoples experience regarding this.

Dracos13

I want to stay away from Telkom, their service hand network speed has been tested and failed, been through it.

MTN speeds are very good, I have a small wifi contract currently but they are expensive and don't offer month to month unless you go prepaid which is a no no

Dracos13

Supersonic seems ok but only up to 150GB anytime, not sure that will last a month if you stream HD

kabusi

Expert Member
Supersonic seems ok but only up to 150GB anytime, not sure that will last a month if you stream HD
Try and supplement a small Supersonic package with Rain if you can afford to (R250 - UNCAPPED FROM 11PM TO 6PM - 19 HOURS)
Again, coverage and speed dependent and if you can/will use the data during this time.