Warning: 8ta free minutes open to abuse

Saajid

Expert Member
Eish... will need to check our call records. One way of tracking it is to see which employees have 8.ta numbers for their personal/work cellphones, and cross checking this against the call records from their extension/PIN.

Of course, the employee might have 2 cellphones - one for work and one for personal use that the company doesn't know about, or it could be their wife's / girlfriend's / someone's cellphone on the 8.ta network they are calling.

latro

Hmm why do I get the feeling that this awesome perk from 8ta is going the way of the dodo soon..

TechChick

which phones are being refered to as "work phones"? Landlines? because 8ta customers do not receive free minutes when being called from landlines. Only Mobile <-> Mobile.
If u talking about a mobile phone, it just doesnt make sense coz staff cell phones generally have a "budget" after which the employee have to pay the outstanding cost :confused:

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
which phones are being refered to as "work phones"? Landlines? because 8ta customers do not receive free minutes when being called from landlines. Only Mobile <-> Mobile.
If u talking about a mobile phone, it just doesnt make sense coz staff cell phones generally have a "budget" after which the employee have to pay the outstanding cost :confused:

Many corporates use a premicell device which is a cellphone for outgoing cellphone calls. Also corporate accounts do not have limits (I know of one incident where a government institution had over R200K billed to a SIM over a 24 hour period due to a faulty premium SMS system and the networks never bothered to block the SIM)

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
heeheehee... That's what happens when a landline voice company goes into mobile voice. Telkom should be accountable for this if you ask me since they benefit from it. As always... When Telkom is around the only loser is the user.

Pirates

cavedog

Honorary Master
Lol what a fail. By the looks of it they are just trying to sell a product themselfs nbp. Suddenly 8ta is to blame fome people's actions. I like the promo and think it should stay, why should 8ta be blamed?

Last edited:

wily me

Expert Member
Lol what a fail. By the looks of it they are just trying to sell a product themselfs. Suddenly 8ta is to blame fome people's actions. I like the promo and think it should stay, why should 8ta be blamed?

Yep!

Dolby

Honorary Master
As much as I dislike Telkom, it's not their issue

mcastudios

Lol what a fail. By the looks of it they are just trying to sell a product themselfs. Suddenly 8ta is to blame fome people's actions. I like the promo and think it should stay, why should 8ta be blamed?

+1
I kid you not, as I read the article I was waiting for them to pitch something that would solve the problem.

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
As much as I dislike Telkom, it's not their issue

But who benefits from it the most? Telkom. And who loses? All other businesses. In a country where it's extremely hard to fire people it's not exactly nice to promote a situation where employees will even think of running a several hundred rand bill for this kind of lunacy. Landline to mobile costs are so high that it would be cheaper for the companies to buy the offenders airtime. But that comes dangerously close to blackmail again. All in all I find this whole thing very distasteful.

Last edited:

sajunky

Honorary Master
But who benefits from it the most? Telkom. And who loses? All other businesses. In a country where it's extremely hard to fire people it's not exactly nice to promote a situation where employees will even think of running a several hundred rand bill for this kind of lunacy.
Make it easy to fire people for such kind of offence. Why you live in the system which support thieves?

markings

Expert Member
But who benefits from it the most? Telkom. And who loses? All other businesses. In a country where it's extremely hard to fire people it's not exactly nice to promote a situation where employees will even think of running a several hundred rand bill for this kind of lunacy. Landline to mobile costs are so high that it would be cheaper for the companies to buy the offenders airtime. But that comes dangerously close to blackmail again. All in all I find this whole thing very distasteful.
The companie's communications or phone use policy should take care of that, including the sanctions which apply to such abuse.