Warning over driver licence deadline for South Africa

Lupus

Honorary Master
That's nice, it's not like the drivers license expires, just the card. They can't even fine you for an expired license card. But it has seemed to start a new business of people who book all slots and sell them to people.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
That's nice, it's not like the drivers license expires, just the card. They can't even fine you for an expired license card. But it has seemed to start a new business of people who book all slots and sell them to people.

They certainly can and do fine you for having an expired card. But whether or not this is legal seems to be matter of some debate. Would be interesting if someone had the balls to challenge the legality of the drivers licence card system.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
It's so ****ing annoying. Just extend the kak for another few years, especially with covid.

This. Pretty much every civilised country in the world has standardised 10 years as the normal renewal period for a drivers licence. Having to do it every 5 years is pretty much just a money racket to drum up more revenue.

Aghori

Honorary Master

They fined me R1500 or R2000 for an expired card. I went to the Court prosecutor and he scrapped the fine immediately and gave me a paper with proof that it is scrapped. Do NOT pay any fines for expired license cards - it can be contested in court and it's dubious at best.

DreamKing

Honorary Master
This. Pretty much every civilised country in the world has standardised 10 years as the normal renewal period for a drivers licence. Having to do it every 5 years is pretty much just a money racket to drum up more revenue.
Those who do not receive a new licence until after expiry will need to apply for a temporary driving licence at an additional cost.

I never heard that you have to pay extra when the government can't give you back the driver licence on time.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
They fined me R1500 or R2000 for an expired card. I went to the Court prosecutor and he scrapped the fine immediately and gave me a paper with proof that it is scrapped. Do NOT pay any fines for expired license cards - it can be contested in court and it's dubious at best.

The offence of driving without the card on you, for example if you accidentally left it home, is also dubious. The only offence that should matter is whether you actually have a drivers licence at all, i.e. you actually took and passed the drivers test. Not having a valid card on you should not invalidate the fact that you are in fact a licenced driver, just like not having a valid passport does not mean you are not a citizen.

Spike.Hodge

I never heard that you have to pay extra when the government can't give you back the driver licence on time.
The stupid thing is that they take take your fingerprints carefully each time - yet that is the one thing that will not change!
If I remember correctly your British (car) licence needs renewal when you reach 60yrs old. That makes sense to me - you can't un-pass your test or change your fingerprints!

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The stupid thing is that they take take your fingerprints carefully each time - yet that is the one thing that will not change!
If I remember correctly your British (car) licence needs renewal when you reach 60yrs old. That makes sense to me - you can't un-pass your test or change your fingerprints!

UK drivers licence cards also need to be renewed every 10 years, but the bonus is that you can do it online and then they post your new card to you. They also use your latest photo from their passport database so you don't even have to submit a new photo if you already have a UK passport.

Hellhound105

Executive Member
Its all to make money, People like paying R80 for a thing called temporary license.

JohnMao

Executive Member
I booked one for beginning of September. Went in June and they had closed the center here in PLZ because of Covid. September was the next best date.

rvZA

Executive Member
We do not want extensions. We want drivers license renewals cancelled in total. There is no need for it. Government cannot provide a proper service. Make it permanent once issued, like in the Apartheid years.

die_koos

I've been trying to book a slot to renew my license for a while now, the one time I was able to actually see an open slot the site performance was so bad that my session timed out waiting for a confirmation that I booked it. The whole Idea of releasing slots on a daily / weekly basis is just plain stupid. Why not at least allow me to book an appointment a month from now? Or for 5 years from now when my card expires again? By "releasing slots" all you do is force everybody to try and get in on the site at the same time, and you make it easy for professional appointment bookers to hog the site and snap up all the open slots.

requiem

Expert Member
We do not want extensions. We want drivers license renewals cancelled in total. There is no need for it. Government cannot provide a proper service. Make it permanent once issued, like in the Apartheid years.

But what about all the lovely license fees they get to steal?

rvZA

Executive Member
But what about all the lovely license fees they get to steal?

That is the only reason why they implemented this. It was a way for the crony families and government officials to make billions at the cost of their own people. So, this is likely never going to stop and they will keep fighting this to keep the money rolling.

JohnMao

Executive Member
Mine expired in April 2020. Guess I should do something about it :unsure:
Mine was Feb 2020!
Booked a slot in June and the PLZ traffic department closed due to Covid. COuldn't get another slot, and the gate jockey's response that they'd contact me the following week to get me in turned out to be a fat lie.
Here I sit with a slot in the first week of September! Wonderful...