Warning over driver licence deadline for South Africa

dualmeister

Honorary Master
I'll just go queue at my traffic dept. on Saturday. My wife was first in the queue when se went.
No bookings.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Keep in mind that some peoples eye sight can deteriorate very quickly in some cases.
Probably best that they redo their eye test a bit sooner :p

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I booked one for beginning of September. Went in June and they had closed the center here in PLZ because of Covid. September was the next best date.
Yeah - the first appointment my wife could get was in November. :eek:

I renewed my UK license online. Ready in three days.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Yeah - the first appointment my wife could get was in November. :eek:

I renewed my UK license online. Ready in three days.
Fark...First World Problems. Hope to have those in 2 years time! :)

I think it's quite pathetic how this all works. I hate going down to Korsten as it is to do this, and don't want to stand in a queue! Even Uitenhage is fully booked.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Fark...First World Problems. Hope to have those in 2 years time! :)

I think it's quite pathetic how this all works. I hate going down to Korsten as it is to do this, and don't want to stand in a queue! Even Uitenhage is fully booked.
We went to Uitenhage yesterday to try and they turned her away because she didn't have an appointment. Basically as long as she stays off the N2 near Baywest, or Cape Road near Rowallan Park, she'll be fine.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
We went to Uitenhage yesterday to try and they turned her away because she didn't have an appointment. Basically as long as she stays off the N2 near Baywest, or Cape Road near Rowallan Park, she'll be fine.
Crud...and here we are going away at the end of the month and need to travel towards J-Bay!

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Keep in mind that some peoples eye sight can deteriorate very quickly in some cases.
Probably best that they redo their eye test a bit sooner :p

The eye test is completely unnecessary. Not even the UK has a requirement for your eyes to be tested when you renew your card.

deweyzeph

Executive Member

I thought only Gauteng required a booking to renew your card? Has the Eastern Cape also started implementing this?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I would think that being able to see other cars around you is pretty important :ROFL:
PS, my license states that I am supposed to drive with glasses on but I don't.

Sure it is, but that should left up to individuals to police themselves. It just creates a huge bottleneck in the whole renewal process.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Sure it is, but that should left up to individuals to police themselves. It just creates a huge bottleneck in the whole renewal process.
It's actually the only reason my old man hasn't gone. He knows he is going to fail the eye test as he just managed to scrape through and is too stubborn to go for glasses :X3:

And from what I heard this is not valid in the Western Cape?

Alternatively, you can have your eyes tested by an optometrist and submit the report at the driving licence testing centre (DLTC).

mercurial

MyBB Legend
So what happens if you fail the eye test? Do they take your expired card and then what? You have no license at all?

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Was at traffic dept at 7AM. They opened at 8.10. Was done by 9.30
Good to go for another 5 years.

upup

Executive Member
Some centers take only 10 people per day. Mine expire 2022/01/03, I think I will go november to re apply.