Warning: R8,500 every time you update Audi's MMI (Virtual Cockpit) SatNav Maps

GDDeJong

Just wanted to warn any prospective Audi buyers that the ~R50,000 you'll pay for Audi's Virtual Cockpit with satellite navigation has a hidden cost.

I've really enjoyed my Audi's Audi's Virtual Cockpit, especially the satellite navigation with Google Maps overlay. However, the maps are very unreliable, I can recall at least 3x occasions when the satellite navigation attempted to direct me down roads that didn't exist and it's so unreliable that I simply never use it anymore -- so obviously I requested an update with my next service.

Just found out today that I'll need to pay R8,500 to Audi Rivonia to update the maps! The same maps that barely work, on a car that's just over a year old and still under motor plan. Called around for more information and it looks like this is a standard thing. Every map update needs to be coded for your specific vehicle's VIN number. No, I can't use Apple Play or Android Auto.

I'm very disappointed that I shelled out for these features that turned out to be completely useless with unusable maps that work less than half the time and will cost a ton of money every time you want to update them.

Attachments

• aW1dmpd_460s.jpg
    aW1dmpd_460s.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 319

TedLasso

Expert Member
This CRV I had a few weeks ago, with android auto was awesome, loads all maps from phone on to radio and then turn by turn instructions were in then odometer when needed. Can't think why anyone would ever buy a car with onboard maps nowadays. Really sucks for you OP, the onboard navigation was always a con from the early days.

Park@82

Honorary Master
That is insanely!

A headunit with android auto / Apple car play ftw.

Jase

Executive Member
Hasn't this always been the case with in car satnav updates?
Land Rover wanted that a few years ago for an update in my Disco 4. I didn't bother (I have a phone and a Garmin with tracks for africa if I want to do some overlanding)

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Can be done for R2,5k. Go search on the Audi forum for the dude that does it in 4ways. He comes highly recommended.

Anyway, you wanna add all the bells and whistles, be prepared to pay to maintain it. I found that out on the wife’s S5.

Jola

Honorary Master
Land Rover wanted that a few years ago for an update in my Disco 4. I didn't bother (I have a phone and a Garmin with tracks for africa if I want to do some overlanding)

Yes, and nowadays you can download offline Google maps before you go.

Did that recently when I went to the Richtersveld.

And if you have a new car you can have it on Android Auto.

Built-in navigation systems are obsolete, and are a thing of the past.

Friday13th

A relative of mine drives a 2018 Toyota Yaris. We spent last festive season driving all over Jhb using only the car's navigation to get to places. It worked superbly.
It even directed us to complexes we visited. It also had Apple CarPlay.

Strange that a luxury car has such problems with the maps. Google Maps is quite decent these days.

phil77

Just wanted to warn any prospective Audi buyers that the ~R50,000 you'll pay for Audi's Virtual Cockpit with satellite navigation has a hidden cost.

I've really enjoyed my Audi's Audi's Virtual Cockpit, especially the satellite navigation with Google Maps overlay. However, the maps are very unreliable, I can recall at least 3x occasions when the satellite navigation attempted to direct me down roads that didn't exist and it's so unreliable that I simply never use it anymore -- so obviously I requested an update with my next service.

Just found out today that I'll need to pay R8,500 to Audi Rivonia to update the maps! The same maps that barely work, on a car that's just over a year old and still under motor plan. Called around for more information and it looks like this is a standard thing. Every map update needs to be coded for your specific vehicle's VIN number. No, I can't use Apple Play or Android Auto.

I'm very disappointed that I shelled out for these features that turned out to be completely useless with unusable maps that work less than half the time and will cost a ton of money every time you want to update them.
Wow that's a rip off. Thanks for sharing. At least in my BMW it's free I just download the map onto a USB drive and update in the car. Apple Carplay is not free though and Android Auto non existent.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Rich man's problems. Rich man's car.

:ROFL:

Wait till you send it for its first service out of your service plan. Or when you need to fix something not covered by the maintenance plan. Enjoy!

:ROFL:

Jola

Honorary Master
A relative of mine drives a 2018 Toyota Yaris. We spent last festive season driving all over Jhb using only the car's navigation to get to places. It worked superbly.
It even directed us to complexes we visited. It also had Apple CarPlay.

Strange that a luxury car has such problems with the maps. Google Maps is quite decent these days.

The built-in navigation systems were a rip-off, it was a solution without a problem.

It was always better to use a Garmin, because it was much cheaper/easier to get map updates, and now the combination of Google offline maps and Android or Apple car software is king.

My Discovery 4 (secondhand purchase) has built-in maps, but I have never used it, because my Garmin with Lifetime Map Updates and Built-in Dashcam is just so much better (also have T4A on that). I also use my phone with Google Maps, even in remote places, as I download offline maps beforehand.

To update the D4 maps is just silly expensive, and I therefore won't use it.

The future is Android or Apple Auto, unfortunately I don't have that.