Warning: R8,500 every time you update Audi's MMI (Virtual Cockpit) SatNav Maps

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
The MMI interface is more than just the maps, as I have said before. It is the equivalent of going from XP to W10. The MMI also controls the audio, which could be B&O, it interfaces with the management system to give you relevant info etc. So, once updated, all needs to be checked for proper operation.

Not trying to justify it, just saying. If you go on the SA Audi forum, clever people can tell you exactly what it entails. I am just someone that had to fork out R2,5k for an update. In hindsight, I should have left it.
Yes I understand that, it’s always been the same with VW as well. If you did so much as change the head unit on some models the battery would drain because of that control chip not being updated.

However as per your example if someone else can do it for R2500 and presumably still make a decent profit then Audi is really just taking the piss.

These things should then be designed better so as not to require so much cost in labour, or it should be written off against the warranty/motor plan.

R8500 to plug it into a computer to update and run some checks is ludicrous, even if it takes three hours.

In reality I bet it’s not even 30 minutes work.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Yes I understand that, it’s always been the same with VW as well. If you did so much as change the head unit on some models the battery would drain because of that control chip not being updated.

However as per your example if someone else can do it for R2500 and presumably still make a decent profit then Audi is really just taking the piss.

These things should then be designed better so as not to require so much cost in labour, or it should be written off against the warranty/motor plan.

R8500 to plug it into a computer to update and run some checks is ludicrous, even if it takes three hours.

In reality I bet it’s not even 30 minutes work.
It takes 2-3 hours, and Audi have to pay overheads, where the indie does not.

I took the wife for breakfast, a long one, and still had to do window shopping to while the time when hers was done.

RedViking

Nord of the South

I took the wife for breakfast, a long one, and still had to do window shopping to while the time when hers was done.
What makes you think they were working on her car the whole time? Probably took 30min and a 2 hours lunch break you paid for.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
What makes you think they were working on her car the whole time? Probably took 30min and a 2 hours lunch break you paid for.
Because it was an indie, and he runs the shop by himself. There were no other cars booked in, or around, when hers was done. Booking had to be made weeks in advance. He might have had coffee etc in between, but I do the same when installing an OS or something like that.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Because it was an indie, and he runs the shop by himself. There were no other cars booked in, or around, when hers was done. Booking had to be made weeks in advance. He might have had coffee etc in between, but I do the same when installing an OS or something like that.
Indie usually works much slower than garage because it is a one man thing. They will probably do it in half the time, if not less.

jezzad

I have a different VAG model a VW GTD and managed to update the maps and firmware online via the SD card the other day. Given it was a 40gig update but it was completely free.

Now because they are both part of the same group I would imagine the sat nav would be very similar if not identical and the software would be similar.

Do you have a part number or something we could compare?

aigle2am

Hyundai charges R2500 for the maps, no free updates. Basically a replacement of your existing SD card.

justplain

Expert Member
my 10 year old Tomtom still does the job. :) (with some map updates along the way )
I would have liked maps etc in my 2013 320D. though the R20k extra at the time seemed outrageous and still does even today!
It's a real cheek for the manufactures to change such a ridiculous price for a map update.

Magandroid

Expert Member
If it costs R8500 just to update the Satnav maps. Then I shudder to think what a full update would cost on this system.
Then imagine it pushes out updates as often as Microsoft do with Windows 10 and you have to pay for it everytime.

DearHeart

Expert Member
The Audi map updates are available for free by registering here: https://login.audi.com/. I've done it twice already on my A4 B9 and it's a fairly simple process, you just need Java installed on your PC to extract the files. I agree though that I've been led down the garden path on a number of occasions, therefore I do fall back on Android Auto, displaying the maps on the MMI.

neoprema

Expert Member
Is this an Audi global problem or Audi South Africa being a typical South African company and trying to fleece the consumers? I really can't see Audi getting away with 8k for every map update in other countries.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Why on earth do car companies still do this crap and not simply use an apple or google thingy. I mean google maps and navigation is free.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
The Audi map updates are available for free by registering here: https://login.audi.com/. I've done it twice already on my A4 B9 and it's a fairly simple process, you just need Java installed on your PC to extract the files. I agree though that I've been led down the garden path on a number of occasions, therefore I do fall back on Android Auto, displaying the maps on the MMI.
Is this valid only for the newer model Audi's, or all? My fiance has a 2009 Q5 for which we'd like to update the navigation. She registered on the site but there's nothing in the way of any updates, just a service locator and some online manuals

DearHeart

Expert Member
@SykomantiS The maps are under Show Vehicle Details/Features but it might be only available for later gen Audi's, updates are via a flash drive or SC card.

quovadis

Expert Member
I highly doubt the "recommended guy in Fourways" is actually purchasing the update per vehicle from Audi and updating it. Most likely just has a copy of the update and has figured out a way to do the update. There's no way the official channel price of the update from Audi is less than 1/3rd of the price.

blowdart18

Why on earth do car companies still do this crap and not simply use an apple or google thingy. I mean google maps and navigation is free.
All the new Audi vehicles coming out will have Android Auto and Car play as standard, the new A1 and Q3 already have this standard, but all other vehicles you have to select the smartphone interface as an option.

I found myself using Google maps more than the the actual MMI maps, just out of convenience.

blowdart18

Is this an Audi global problem or Audi South Africa being a typical South African company and trying to fleece the consumers? I really can't see Audi getting away with 8k for every map update in other countries.
Problem is a German issue, Germany has a minimum order quantity for their markets and at the time I think South Africa had to order something like a 100. Somehow they managed to bypass the order quantity but as a result I would assume they sacrificed on price. Not sure, but that is what Audi SA said to the network.

I do believe that Audi Connect, when released for this market will alleviate all these problems the guys are having.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
All the new Audi vehicles coming out will have Android Auto and Car play as standard, the new A1 and Q3 already have this standard, but all other vehicles you have to select the smartphone interface as an option.

I found myself using Google maps more than the the actual MMI maps, just out of convenience.
I mean all the car people really need to do is put a dumb screen in the car as most people are connecting their phone to it anyway. Like small samsung screen in the dash that lets you cast your samsung phone to. I know that's a brand example, but surely a generic screen with a blueteeth thing would be a much better option? Sure it means that you have to let go slightly of the customer's balls, but is that really a bad thing?