Warning: R8,500 every time you update Audi's MMI (Virtual Cockpit) SatNav Maps

quovadis

Executive Member
I mean all the car people really need to do is put a dumb screen in the car as most people are connecting their phone to it anyway. Like small samsung screen in the dash that lets you cast your samsung phone to. I know that's a brand example, but surely a generic screen with a blueteeth thing would be a much better option? Sure it means that you have to let go slightly of the customer's balls, but is that really a bad thing?

The new Audi dash is very impressive - costs a fortune as an extra too.

GDDeJong

Just an update from my side. Audi still refuses to sort this out.

The following does not work for me at all and registering my vehicle here with it's VIN dos not allow me to download any updates to fix my navigation system.
The Audi map updates are available for free by registering here: https://login.audi.com/. I've done it twice already on my A4 B9 and it's a fairly simple process, you just need Java installed on your PC to extract the files. I agree though that I've been led down the garden path on a number of occasions, therefore I do fall back on Android Auto, displaying the maps on the MMI.

Further attached below is a redacted copy of the official response from Audi South Africa:
Audi Responce Pic.png

Meanwhile my MMI Touch Navigation system is sometimes totally useless without maps:
Audi Nav Error.jpg

While I'm very happy with the overall service level I get form Audi (especially from the Hatfield branch in Pretoria). I'm worried that I won't even be able to sell the car to get rid of it now because of this problem.

Last edited:

DearHeart

Expert Member
720944 @GDDeJong I suggest, as others did, just to give it up and switch to Android Auto. Besides maps, it gives you access to other apps as well.:cool: 720948 720952

GDDeJong

Thank you @DearHeart but my car’s MMI does not support Android Auto, nor Apple Car Play, and these cannot be retrofitted (confirmed with Audi). Hopefully this helps somebody else though.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
2018 model that does not have AA or CP & no possibility of retrofit...hmm

GDDeJong

That’s 100% correct and Audi SA confirmed that is cannot be retrofitted, now or in future. :(

kripstoe

Expert Member
I'm worried that I won't even be able to sell the car to get rid of it now because of this problem.

While I understand your frustration, this is a bit overly dramatic? Or am I missing something more seriously wrong with the car?

GDDeJong

How would you feel if you purchased a brand new car with an additional R50,000 option that didn’t work and the manufacturer refused to fix it or reimburse you?

R13...

Honorary Master
How would you feel if you purchased a brand new car with an additional R50,000 option that didn’t work and the manufacturer refused to fix it or reimburse you?
But your MMI works just that your maps need updating. It's not like you'd go disclosing that the maps are old to a buyer now would you?

R13...

Honorary Master
any way to remove and fit an aftermarket unit?
It is probably integrated with virtual cockpit meaning the thing can't be removed without losing the instruments functions displays even if you could somehow remove it.

eg2505

Honorary Master
It is probably integrated with virtual cockpit meaning the thing can't be removed without losing the instruments functions displays even if you could somehow remove it.

well then OP is royally screwed,
I cant imagine if you brought a old S-Class and the nav system needs updating.
one, can always just ignore it, and continue on nonetheless?

and next time not spend such money on useless and old technology as a built in Sat Nav.

R13...

Honorary Master
well then OP is royally screwed,
I cant imagine if you brought a old S-Class and the nav system needs updating.
one, can always just ignore it, and continue on nonetheless?

and next time not spend such money on useless and old technology as a built in Sat Nav.
I think on the Audi when you take virtual cockpit it comes bundled in with Sav Nav. It is ridiculous that manufacturers still insist on selling their archaic tech (at inflated prices) when open systems are widely available at probably much lower cost.