Warrant of arrest issued for Jacob Zuma

skimread

Executive Member

The Pietermaritzburg High Court issued an arrest warrant for former president Jacob Zuma on Tuesday, after he skipped court on grounds of needing medical treatment, but High Court Judge Dhaya Pillay stayed the warrant until his corruption trial resumes on May 6.

Zuma's lawyer Daniel Mantsha presented the judge with a sick note from what he said was a military hospital, but the judge questioned whether the note was valid or even written by a doctor.

Earlier Senior state prosecutor Advocate Billy Downer told the Pietermaritzburg High Court that the State was seeking a warrant of arrest for the former state president.

Downer made the request because Zuma had not submitted a medical certificate nor let the State know what the alleged illness was that kept him from proceedings on Tuesday.

Downer said the State had been made aware of the former president’s absence from Tuesday’s hearing in good time, but follow-up correspondence to his lawyer Daniel Mantsha regarding a medical certificate and the nature of Zuma’s illness had received no response.

Downer said the warrant could be issued but the actual arrest left pending until the court had undertaken an investigation into Zuma’s absence.

“Zuma’s absence is disappointing, we want Mr Mantsha to tell us what the illness is and why Zuma can’t be here. It is a criminal offence for the accused not to be present if he has been warned in court. The court would have to enquire into reasons for his absence,” said Downer.

He asked that the warrant be issued at the end of Tuesday’s proceedings. Downer also said that if Zuma chose to speak of his illness in closed proceedings, the state would not object.

Mantsha countered that Zuma's illness was a matter of "state security" and the purvey of military doctors.

Zuma was also not able to appear before a sitting of the commission of inquiry into state capture last year because of illness. He has been seeking treatment outside the country.

The matter continues.

The Free Radical

Until I see his image splashed across the front pages of national newspapers being bungled into the back of a police car in cuffs, I'm not holding my hopes up for SA's turn around.

That image alone will be the only one required to send out a loud and clear message that government wishes to take corruption seriously. That image alone will be the only one which will make the lying and thieving corrupt stop what they are doing.

Everything else, including the State Capture Commission is just a dither and delay ruse.

Last edited:

skimread

Executive Member
He is clever. He is using his I was poisoned excuse to as a delaying tactic. This is one of his many excuses he has.

The prosecution can't call in any doctors as Zuma can just claim it's foreign Cuban or Russian doctors or it's some state security issue since he was president.

He still controls a large faction in government so gov will probably even allow him to paint his fake poisoning as state security excuse.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Until I see his image splashed across the front pages of national newspapers being bungled into the back of a police car in cuffs, I'm not holding my hopes up for SA's turn around.

That image alone will be the only one required to send out a loud and clear that government wishes to take corruption seriously.
That unfortunately will never happen..

Even if he is "arrested" it will be in a genteel fashion with the officers asking him to kindly follow them in his limo or something of the sort, and tea will be waiting for him at the station.

The Free Radical

Even if he is "arrested" it will be in a genteel fashion with the officers asking him to kindly follow them in his limo or something of the sort, and tea will be waiting for him at the station.
Quite right.

I know its wishful thinking. Sadly its the only thing that will convince our citizens and foreign investors that things can turn around.

Nothing else will cut the mustard. We have heard all the excuses and quite frankly we are sick to death of them.

Talk is cheap and dither and delay Commissions are designed to be nothing more than pressure release valves to release hot air in a controlled manner to protect so-called "struggle heros". Just like the TRC was for apartheid's goons.

We want to see action!

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
This is good news to be honest. Finally someone is willing to compel Jacob Zuma and realising the new dawn. This parrot needs to squawk, and squawk quick. The carpet needs to be turned upside down. Skeletons needs to be rattled. The trough needs to be given back to the people.

Do the crime, pay the time and monies back.

Will he be arrested though???

thechamp

Honorary Master

Tea with maNtuli's sugar?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
The prosecution can't call in any doctors as Zuma can just claim it's foreign Cuban or Russian doctors or it's some state security issue since he was president.
Except his lawyer just said that his doctor is attached to the military.

And he was president, he isn't now. Nothing would be compromised if he were to drop dead...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Quite right.

I know its wishful thinking. Sadly its the only thing that will convince our citizens and foreign investors that things can turn around.

Nothing else will cut he mustard.
We want to see action.
Agreed in all honesty... The country needs a symbolic image... and nothing would be more symbolic than Jacob being dragged into court in cuffs for the country as a whole.

The next best thing would be all high ranking corrupt fsckers being arrested and dragged out in cuffs from their offices and such.

Eniigma

Expert Member
Checks date... hmm not 1/4/2020...
Still don't believe it.