• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Warrantee on free gifts with purchase

signates

Expert Member
What's the deal with warrantees on gifts received with product purchases?

I got the Samsung S9+ on pre order with Vodacom and received the U Flex headphones and wireless charger through the Samsung rewards app. The free gifts were part of the vodacom deal.

Last week my Uflex stopped charging and I took it in to Samsung. They told me that there is no warrantee as it s a gift from Samsung and that I will need to pay for the repair. The headphones are only about 4 months old and I've hardly used it.

Does the warrantee fall away for gifts received with a product that was purchased? What about prizes in competitions from the manufacturers? Doesn't make sense to me that the warrantee is no longer applicable as I did not pay for the item.

Does the CPA cover this? Can I lodge a complaint?

signates

Expert Member
Just to update this thread.

After being informed by the Samsung store that there is no warrantee on free gifts, I lodged a complaint with the consumer ombud. I received a reply today from Samsung that they have received the complaint and that there is a 6 month warrantee on the Uflex headphones and they will arrange a repair/replacement after they have assessed it.

isie

Executive Member
Just to update this thread.

After being informed by the Samsung store that there is no warrantee on free gifts, I lodged a complaint with the consumer ombud. I received a reply today from Samsung that they have received the complaint and that there is a 6 month warrantee on the Uflex headphones and they will arrange a repair/replacement after they have assessed it.
Funny that magically there is a warranty on free items