Warrantee on free gifts with purchase

signates

Expert Member
What's the deal with warrantees on gifts received with product purchases?

I got the Samsung S9+ on pre order with Vodacom and received the U Flex headphones and wireless charger through the Samsung rewards app. The free gifts were part of the vodacom deal.

Last week my Uflex stopped charging and I took it in to Samsung. They told me that there is no warrantee as it s a gift from Samsung and that I will need to pay for the repair. The headphones are only about 4 months old and I've hardly used it.

Does the warrantee fall away for gifts received with a product that was purchased? What about prizes in competitions from the manufacturers? Doesn't make sense to me that the warrantee is no longer applicable as I did not pay for the item.

Does the CPA cover this? Can I lodge a complaint?

signates

Expert Member
Just to update this thread.

After being informed by the Samsung store that there is no warrantee on free gifts, I lodged a complaint with the consumer ombud. I received a reply today from Samsung that they have received the complaint and that there is a 6 month warrantee on the Uflex headphones and they will arrange a repair/replacement after they have assessed it.

isie

Honorary Master
Just to update this thread.

After being informed by the Samsung store that there is no warrantee on free gifts, I lodged a complaint with the consumer ombud. I received a reply today from Samsung that they have received the complaint and that there is a 6 month warrantee on the Uflex headphones and they will arrange a repair/replacement after they have assessed it.
Funny that magically there is a warranty on free items