Washington in 'Crime Emergency'

kingmonty

Expert Member
Police in Washington DC are stepping up patrols after the police chief declared a citywide "crime emergency" in response to a rise in violence.

At least 14 people have been killed in the US capital this month, including a political campaigner from Britain.

There has also been an 18% rise in robberies and a 14% increase in assaults with a deadly weapon.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5175718.stm

:eek: compared to the 50 - 100 odd that will be killed in Joburg in the same period of time.

If 14 murders is an emergency situation, wtf do we have here? :mad:

nic777

Expert Member
I wonder what the ratio between rich and poor is in Washington and what it is in Joburg.........

mancombseepgood

Executive Member
Hmmm

I was at a colleague's house after dark in a not so good part of Washington. The electricity went out and it wasn't 5 minutes and the streets were swarming with cops and emergency generators / lighting. They obviously take it seriously to some extent. I believe part of the problem is that residents are not taken seriously bo government since they can't vote anyhow.
Can u believe that - if you live in DC, you are not allowed to vote.

icyrus

Executive Member
nic777 said:
I wonder what the ratio between rich and poor is in Washington and what it is in Joburg.........
Does the difference in rich and poor change how the government reacts to situations on the ground?

kingmonty

Expert Member
icyrus said:
Does the difference in rich and poor change how the government reacts to situations on the ground?
Good question. I fear the answer is yes. High profile murders get solved extremely quickly as an example.

icyrus

Executive Member
kingmonty said:
Good question. I fear the answer is yes. High profile murders get solved extremely quickly as an example.
While that is true that wasn't my point. The main point to note in the article was the government's response in Washington as apposed to our governments response and, apparently, nic777 needed that clarified.

Angelo

Expert Member
icyrus said:
it does because there's less crime in rich areas and therefore not as much government resources need to be deployed there as opposed to crime ridden poor areas.

icyrus

Executive Member
Angelo said:
it does because there's less crime in rich areas and therefore not as much government resources need to be deployed there as opposed to crime ridden poor areas.
Huh?

Police in Washington DC are stepping up patrols after the police chief declared a citywide "crime emergency" in response to a rise in violence.
When was the last time our government stepped up patrols anywhere or even admitted there is a crime problem let alone declaring a citywide "crime emergency"?

lilDeath

Executive Member
well, we're 3rd world c(o)untry so 14 x 3 = 42

err... not adding up :confused:

does this mean we are 4th-8th world now.... :eek:

kilo39

Executive Member
kingmonty said:
This is not my perception - a few high profile murders have been solved quickly (mainly due to chance and luck) - but most are unsolved - never mind all the 'ordinary' people that are killed daily.

2 immediately come to mind: kebble and Crane (and there is a long list of others) -

The shooting is the latest in a spate of attacks in the area.

Cape Town journalist Megan Herselman was shot dead at the Rivonia off-ramp, near William Nicol, in an apparent botched hijacking last week.

On Tuesday night a Johannesburg businessman, Anwar Mohammed, was shot dead at the Glenhove onramp on the M1 highway.

Businessman Brett Kebble was shot dead in his Mercedes-Benz near the M1 in September last year.

kingmonty

Expert Member
@kilo: yeah, you're right. sadly the higher profile crimes certainly enjoys the attention of our top cops (e.g. lee mathews murder)

kilo39

Executive Member
The plain fact is - we have no investigative crime solving in this country... if it is not solved within 14 days on a chance clue or break - then it will likely not be solved.

lilDeath

Executive Member
might be slightly off topic but seeing we talking bout top cops, do we have any 'CSI' units in SA???

kingmonty

Expert Member
lilDeath said:
might be slightly off topic but seeing we talking bout top cops, do we have any 'CSI' units in SA???
We have forensics teams yes. Nowhere near as glamorised as the CSI TV series though