WATCH | Bakkie rams car during 'road rage' punch-up in Makhanda

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...ms-car-during-road-rage-punch-up-in-makhanda/

WATCH | Bakkie rams car during 'road rage' punch-up in Makhanda
Police are investigating a case of assault in Makhanda (formerly Grahamstown) after a video of an apparent road rage incident went viral. The incident took place on May 19 2019.

Criminal charges have been laid against a motorist who allegedly beat up a man in an apparent road rage altercation in Makhanda in the Eastern Cape.

In a video shared on social media, the driver of a white double-cab bakkie can be seen holding a man while landing about seven upper-cut punches.

The man trying to block the punches is then thrown to the ground.

Two men in a Toyota Tazz, parked in front of the bakkie, climb out and attempt to intervene.

As the driver gets back into the bakkie, the man on the ground gets up and the brawl continues.

The bakkie driver then rams into the back of the Tazz, pushing it out of the way, and drives off. A person can be seen falling on to the road as the Tazz is pushed.

Police spokesperson Captain Mali Govender confirmed that the incident occurred on Sunday afternoon in Makhanda (formerly Grahamstown).

Govender said details were still "very unclear".

"The owner of the Tazz opened a case on Monday. At first it was a case of assault to cause grievously bodily harm, but it has been changed to common assault."

She said the owner of the bakkie did not immediately report the incident to police.

No arrests have been made.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...ays-actor-punched-in-makhanda-road-rage-spat/

'I get scared when I see a middle-aged white male,' says actor punched in Makhanda road rage spat
A motorist who was punched and thrown to the ground in a road rage altercation at the weekend in Makhanda in the Eastern Cape says he is still traumatised.

Sivuyile Gcaba told DispatchLIVE: "I am having nightmares daily and get frightened every time I see a middle-aged male outside."

The 23-year-old drama graduate and actor said the driver of a white double-cab bakkie had bumped him from behind "while I was stopping at a red traffic light".

"When I got out to observe the dent, he was already out charging forward and started assaulting me," he said in an interview on Wednesday.

He was treated for his injuries at Settler's Hospital and discharged.

The incident was captured on camera by Rhodes University employee Anelisa Donyeli, reported DispatchLIVE.

Police spokesperson Capt Mali Govender confirmed the incident happened on Sunday at Makhanda (formerly Grahamstown) and said a case of common assault had been opened.

In a video shared on social media, the bakkie driver can be seen holding a man while landing several upper-cut punches. The man is then thrown to the ground.

Two men in a Toyota Tazz, parked in front of the bakkie, climb out and attempt to intervene but the altercation continues until the bakkie driver accelerates and rams the Toyota out of his way.

No arrests were made immediately after the incident.

Gcaba is the son of the late Port Alfred and former Makhanda police cluster commander Col Vuyile Gcaba, reported DispatchLIVE.
The title... even the content has the proper quote and the DispatchLive article,

https://www.dispatchlive.co.za/news...tor-falls-victim-to-vicious-road-rage-attack/

which is more descriptive.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
At some places, at Strand, in Broadway Boulevard this happens on occasion, seen some. People and their phones nowadays... punch-ups happens, road rage happens.

PhireSide

Executive Member
Looks like it happened at the Beaufort and Bathurst Street intersection.

What a hellhole that place has become, and I am not referring to just this incident.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Anything and everything is recorded, published and narrated, on a social media scale.
Ok, fair enough, but in this case I hope it leads to this waste of humanity being arrested and charged. Looking at the guy who fell out of the tazz, the charge should be attempted murder.

Morons should start realising that, as you say, phones are everywhere and maybe you should wind your neck in sometimes.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Ok, fair enough, but in this case I hope it leads to this waste of humanity being arrested and charged. Looking at the guy who fell out of the tazz, the charge should be attempted murder.

Morons should start realising that, as you say, phones are everywhere and maybe you should wind your neck in sometimes.
Technology has closed the gap, to that I agree, and it is a proactive reporting tool, but I am unhappy with how TimesLive changed the narrative.

Compare this,

Title: 'I get scared when I see a middle-aged white male,' says actor punched in Makhanda road rage spat

Quote: Sivuyile Gcaba told DispatchLIVE: "I am having nightmares daily and get frightened every time I see a middle-aged male outside."

People read and consume headlines, this changes most peoples perspective when they are comprehending the story.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Technology has closed the gap, to that I agree, and it is a proactive reporting tool, but I am unhappy with how TimesLive changed the narrative.

Compare this,

Title: 'I get scared when I see a middle-aged white male,' says actor punched in Makhanda road rage spat

Quote: Sivuyile Gcaba told DispatchLIVE: "I am having nightmares daily and get frightened every time I see a middle-aged male outside."

People read and consume headlines, this changes most peoples perspective when they are comprehending the story.
Sure, but that's not the person with the phone's fault.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The people are thirsty in Wakhanda. Water shortages are causing tempers to flare. They need someone to gift them some water.
The assailant, though we don’t know what run-up to the incident, also committed a hit and run. That is attempted murder as said by Pinball Wizard. So yah, the people will be thirsty. This guy should go to a police station, acknowledge the crime and report his side to the incident as well.

garp

Executive Member
As usual, we don't see what lead up to this, there is no context.

Regardless, black privilege will ensure that this turns into a "racist incident" with much victimhood and casually racist headlines like "I get scared when I see a white man" will be deemed perfectly acceptable.

Wasabee!

Expert Member
Sivuyile Gcaba told DispatchLIVE: "I am having nightmares daily and get frightened every time I see a middle-aged male outside."

The 23-year-old drama graduate and actor said the driver of a white double-cab bakkie had bumped him from behind "while I was stopping at a red traffic light".
He must be at the top of his drama class.