WATCH | Bakkie rams car during 'road rage' punch-up in Makhanda

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Journalism works with what it has, they presented the testimony of one person to go along with the video...

From the DispatchLive article...

What else should the media do, one party is available and talking, the other isn't? If the other party is upset that his "side" isn't be represented perhaps he should hand himself over and make a press statement...
Right then,

'I get scared when I see a middle-aged white male,' says actor punched in Makhanda road rage spat
:rolleyes:

Cray

Honorary Master
Right then,

It's a direct quote, what should they have done differently? A person could argue that he is over lowing it, paranoid or just plain lying but it's not the job of a journalist to make any of those claims in the absence of evidence to the contrary...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
It's a direct quote, what should they have done differently? A person could argue that he is over lowing it, paranoid or just plain lying but it's not the job of a journalist to make any of those claims in the absence of evidence to the contrary...
From the DispatchLive article...

Speaking at his Musgrave Street home in Sunnyside, Makhanda, on Wednesday, Gcaba said the incident had left him traumatised. “I am having nightmares daily and I get frightened every time I see a middle-aged male outside.”

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Strange though, as I don't see a charge being laid for that, only the assault. Yet you already decided the Guy who pounded the other guy is guilty by default... I can't wait for the whole story to come to light. I just love pointing and laughing at people who jump to conclusions and are proven wrong time after time.
I never pronounced anyone guilty my man. You brought that into this. Saying a charge should be laid means that someone is aggrieved and an investigation needs to be done. Don't we loosely follow that innocent until proven otherwise nugget in this country?

AdrianH

Expert Member
The moral of this story is...

Always put up your handbrake when at a red traffic light.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
That your argument? The TimesLive headline is xenophobic, and they based their article on the DispatchLive article. You said it is a direct quote, they racially dramatised Gcaba’s direct words.

Say a black middle-aged man attacked Gcaba, would the publisher have directly quoted him stating,

'I get scared when I see a middle-aged black male,' says actor punched in Makhanda road rage spat

?

Pitbull

Verboten
I never pronounced anyone guilty my man. You brought that into this. Saying a charge should be laid means that someone is aggrieved and an investigation needs to be done. Don't we loosely follow that innocent until proven otherwise nugget in this country?
No, I specifically asked you who you referred to in your statement. You made it obviously clear who you assumed to be guilty. No clarification needed, I just wanted to be sure I understood you post correctly, which I have.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
That your argument? The TimesLive headline is xenophobic, and they based their article on the DispatchLive article. You said it is a direct quote, they racially dramatised Gcaba’s direct words.

Say a black middle-aged man attacked Gcaba, would the publisher have directly quoted him stating,

'I get scared when I see a middle-aged black male,' says actor punched in Makhanda road rage spat

?
I was mugged, strangled and nearly killed years back (as in decades back) by a group of men. I still get chills when I walk past or a group walks past me. It also flipped me to full blown racist for several years after that (till the PTSD and illogical fear dissipated). Now days, I fear groups of men in public/open air spaces, irrelevant of race/class or anything else. Just an irrational fear I guess I will have for a long time to come.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I was mugged, strangled and nearly killed years back (as in decades back) by a group of men. I still get chills when I walk past or a group walks past me. It also flipped me to full blown racist for several years after that (till the PTSD and illogical fear dissipated). Now days, I fear groups of men in public/open air spaces, irrelevant of race/class or anything else. Just an irrational fear I guess I will have for a long time to come.
What has that to do with the TimesLive headline?

Cray

Honorary Master

?
Fear isn't always rational, we fear people who are different to us, we fear people who might have different motivations. If the guy is telling the truth about what happened to him then it's somewhat understandable that he might have an irrational fear of white men. The article made no judgement about what he said being reasonable, it just reported what he said.

Sensational headline? Yeah, definitely, but that's what get's people to read the news - was there anything in the article that is untrue or misquoted?

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
What has that to do with the TimesLive headline?
Specifically this part of your post.
I get where the guy is coming from?

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
No, I specifically asked you who you referred to in your statement. You made it obviously clear who you assumed to be guilty. No clarification needed, I just wanted to be sure I understood you post correctly, which I have.
Ok buddy. Put words in my mouth.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Fear isn't always rational, we fear people who are different to us, we fear people who might have different motivations. If the guy is telling the truth about what happened to him then it's somewhat understandable that he might have an irrational fear of white men. The article made no judgement about what he said being reasonable, it just reported what he said.

Sensational headline? Yeah, definitely, but that's what get's people to read the news - was there anything in the article that is untrue or misquoted?
My argument was since the beginning the TimesLive headline. BTW, they edited the headline to exclude 'white' so your point is moot.

The headline is very much the article and they altered the quote to suit their narrative. Race is a catalyst, it is abused to cause division. Many people only read headlines, and they consume headlines when comprehending the article.

You argued,

"What else should the media do"

and

"It's a direct quote"

You are changing the argument and goalpost here. What TimesLive did was wrong and untrue, it was my whole point, but now it is excused as sensationalism.

Cray

Honorary Master
You are changing the argument and goalpost here. What TimesLive did was wrong and untrue, it was my whole point, but now it is excused as sensationalism.

Apologies, If Times Live did indeed alter the quote then I fully agree that they deserve to get lambasted for it.

Last edited:

smi

Expert Member
You are alive and that is what is important

RonSwanson

Expert Member
Consider the old Chev Blazer crew cab with a winch front and rear. A road train in all-in-one. Even the taxi drivers peek out the window up at you, apologize and smile ... (true story). However your fuel bill may go up.
The Nissan Skyline GTXs with rubberised forklift-style bullbars that were used by Johannesburg traffic department back in the '80s comes to mind. Similar problem with the fuel bill.