WATCH | Bloemfontein biker fighting for his life after red robot crash

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
FTFY

In Amerilard Land

Similar sorts of thing in Britbongistan.
View attachment 670447
Just to highlight something....lane splitting is illegal in America in most states (and where it isn't has only been very recently being California) and most of those accident are caused by being rear ended on highways followed by drunk drivers.

In the states where they've allowed lane splitting the stats are quite different (though still higher than cars obviously) and in other countries.

Also some of the data is ANCIENT.

America is also full of 16 year old drivers.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
You mean well but this was entirely avoidable had the fool in the vehicle just followed some basic rules, keep left, keep to the speed limit and look wtf you're going. I hope they throw the book at him in a big way. And then he has the audacity to blame the victim, what a scumbag.
Yes obviously it removes no blame from him.

But like every accident someone makes a mistake that leads to a "potential accident" how the other drives involved respond to that is ultimately what makes it a real accident or a non-event.

As always driver/rider education goes a long way.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I picked up this video on Facebook yesterday, and as a fellow 24x7 biker, am absolutely horrified.

It really is a horror show on the roads.

To further agitate this deplorable collision, there are some who feel the need to further fuel the fire...

One Facebook respondent (a JMPD traffic officer, according to his Facebook profile) felt the need to post this hurtful comment yesterday; for which he is being taken to task by hundreds of people. It's so unnecessary, and from a professional point of view, terrifying.
Almost as sad as the accident itself is that adults like Duncan Abrahams have no self-respect and type like that, murdering their own language and deem it acceptable.

TysonRoux

Expert Member
Well can we confirm the bike's rear tail light is working? Because even with that in a working state under a lit up area at night it is pretty damn hard to see bikes.

But this kind of **** is exactly why we lane split. You never ever park in the middle of a lane when stopping at a light unless you know the car behind you is dead still and aware of you and even then it's an unnecessary risk.
I don't lane split riding between rows of slow moving or stationary cars, but in stop go traffic I always position myself on the edge of the lane and avoid potentially being sandwiched between the car in front and a car behind that could rear-end me.

I look forward to hearing more on this incident, particular what appears to be the POS bakkie driver left the scene and tampered with evidence.
If he hadn't left the scene, and rendered assistance, the cops would have the incident on record and could have contacted the bikers loved ones, ....... why didn't the POS bakkie driver contact the bikers family, ........ sounds like the POS bakkie driver had something to hide, like drunk driving etc.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
I've said many a times that thing is a walking coffin.
No one has ever smiled that much in a coffin.

For the amount of joy and fun I have on the bike - daily - my commute turns into something to look forward and a way of switching off from the days work. I will gladly take that "risk". I put that in "" as there is lots you can do to mitigate risk as well.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
I don't lane split riding between rows of slow moving or stationary cars, but in stop go traffic I always position myself on the edge of the lane and avoid potentially being sandwiched between the car in front and a car behind that could rear-end me.
I've seen this, and I've never understood it. What is your reasoning? If you ride like that you're no faster than the cars..

And I mean I get it, when I started I was scared shitless of the cars, but you're placing in more danger that way.

theratman

Executive Member
Hope that bakkie driver gets the book thrown at him. Biker will never be the same due to this *******!

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
I've seen this, and I've never understood it. What is your reasoning? If you ride like that you're no faster than the cars..

And I mean I get it, when I started I was scared shitless of the cars, but you're placing in more danger that way.
If you lanesplit through slow moving traffic there's a high chance of being taken out by a car changing lanes. Maybe someone has the stats.

It's safe to do it when everyone is stationary.

theratman

Executive Member
Throw the book? I say we throw the whole Hilux or whatever that bakkie is at him, if he survives that we can then throw the book.
A library full of books, until all his bones are broken. Then lock the bastard up.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
If you lanesplit through slow moving traffic there's a high chance of being taken out by a car changing lanes. Maybe someone has the stats.

It's safe to do it when everyone is stationary.
Says who? If you're lane splitting at no more than 15 - 20 km/h faster than the prevailing traffic, whilst maintaining good awareness as to the openings in traffic around you and keeping an eye on the cars in front - for; turning heads, turning of front wheels, indicators and pedestrians.. You reduce the "risk" enormously. If you are travelling and you can't keep track of all that - you're going too fast.

Also, if they're stationary, people open doors or the normal pedestrian traffic increases. So, there is other risks at play when they're standing still.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
This is why I always look behind me when standing at a robot, in gear, with enough space to move if I have to. When I still had a bike as well as with my car.

Poor guy.

Suspect99

Executive Member
Well can we confirm the bike's rear tail light is working? Because even with that in a working state under a lit up area at night it is pretty damn hard to see bikes.

But this kind of **** is exactly why we lane split. You never ever park in the middle of a lane when stopping at a light unless you know the car behind you is dead still and aware of you and even then it's an unnecessary risk.
The traffic light was still red

noxibox

Honorary Master

I rode bicycles a lot and when I was younger had to commute to work on one. If I'd not ridden between and next to stationary or slow moving cars I might just as well have walked to work and home every day. But riding bicycles on busy rodes meant when I started riding motorcycles I had learned to be aware and not scared of being around cars.

I don't lane split riding between rows of slow moving or stationary cars
Makes no sense not to lane split.

This is why I always look behind me when standing at a robot, in gear, with enough space to move if I have to. When I still had a bike as well as with my car.
You very likely still wouldn't be able to get out of the way in time.
There's close to zero chance of that happening if you're riding at a sensible speed and paying attention. If you're going screaming between cars then the chance goes up, but even then awareness makes a huge difference to chance of having an accident.