WATCH | Bloemfontein biker fighting for his life after red robot crash

Sollie

Executive Member
Luck is as realistic a concept as destiny and spooks.

But risk mitigation is exactly that, lowering your risk increases your "luck".

The higher your risk probability (the more chances you take) the less "luck" you have.

In general, the only time you need to have "luck" is if you were taking chances...and taking chances is a high-risk activity.

Luck is a construct of your own actions.
I'm not going to disagree that you make a lot of your own luck by being vigilant, second guessing idiots etc. There are always those fluke incidents though that you simply could never have foreseen. When it happens, how you come out the other side is equally foretold by the quarters of the moon as much as two dolosse and a cowtail switch. Call it what you want, you can't prepare for those. You know what I'm saying and can't argue against it in honesty.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I'm not going to disagree that you make a lot of your own luck by being vigilant, second guessing idiots etc. There are always those fluke incidents though that you simply could never have foreseen. When it happens, how you come out the other side is equally foretold by the quarters of the moon as much as two dolosse and a cowtail switch. Call it what you want, you can't prepare for those. You know what I'm saying and can't argue against it in honesty.
Yes there are obviously freak accidents that happen in the universe and are named exactly that for that reason.

I have however, never experienced them.

Any event that happens/happened to me I can always reply and come to a conclusion that there was something within my control that would ultimately change the results.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Ladies do get raped by gentleman and in posh places.
Aah yes of course.

Point taken.

But then one has to ponder between three ladies of such potential which ones are the most likely for this to happen to and then the other attributes come into play.

Much the same way the house with no burglar bars is more likely to be burgled than the one next door with them in place.

Swa

Honorary Master
Same reason I stopped cycling on our roads (did it for years in the UK without ever fearing for my life). The sad reality is you can do everything right and still get hammered, I know that's true to an extent with cars too but your survivability on a motorbike or bicycle is just so much lower.
Even if the cars don't get you the criminals will. Knew a guy here who got robbed, bicycle taken, clothes taken and got shot in the back. Was in the news at the time.

Last edited: