• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

WATCH: Blue-light bakkie smashes into car on N3, drives off

schumi

Honorary Master
KwaZulu-Natal - Wheels24 reader Rod Deventer sent us dashcam footage of a blue-light vehicle damaging his car.

In the video you can spot a Ford Ranger Bakkie (with flashing blue lights) swerving in front of Deventer's Ford Everest, braking sharply and damaging his car. Deventer says the incident occurred in September 2017 close to "Tweede at Exit 107 on the N3 national highway between the Free State and KwaZulu-Natal".

Hit-and-run?

Following the shunt, the blue-light vehicle can be seen driving off.

Deventer posted the incident on YouTube and says: "Driving Westerly 2kms on the N3 from Exit 107 a blue light vehicle comes from behind, passes then brakes in front of me causing damage to my vehicle. They proceed to drive off."

Deventer's footage shows that he was travelling at a speed of 115km/h while the Ranger passed on the left and then speeds up to 121km/h at the time of the collision.
[video=youtube;NwpEcjolh2s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwpEcjolh2s[/video]

More at: http://www.wheels24.co.za/News/Guid...ie-smashes-into-car-on-n3-drives-off-20171005

eg2505

Honorary Master
savages, but I dont think that was a police vehicle,

maybe a "fake" cop on his way to a robbery

not sure why he'd hit him though, that seemed reckless

The_MAC

Expert Member
Not cool. But in all honesty, the Everest driver should have moved over, and to me it seems like he was even speeding up to not let him back in after overtaking him on the left..

Marius Flash

Expert Member
Was Deliberate !
Was not unmarked police vehicle
Someone bought blue lights , put them on their dash and played "Chuck Norris"

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
He has got the registration number. Surely it would be easy enough to report it and find out if it is a government owned vehicle or if it is a private one driving with illegal blue lights?

nivo

Really not a nice situation to be in, but, always a but, have to agree with post #3 The_MAC.

Hosehead

Executive Member
Definitely not a blue light brigade vehicle - black is the preferred colour
Although once in days gone by the vIp protection service used white double cabs stuffed full of police in CPT

Marius Flash

Expert Member
He has got the registration number. Surely it would be easy enough to report it and find out if it is a government owned vehicle or if it is a private one driving with illegal blue lights?
This ^ and more...... A dash cam that has recorded everything. If it was legitimate cops they would/should have pulled over?

vic777

Expert Member
Not cool. But in all honesty, the Everest driver should have moved over, and to me it seems like he was even speeding up to not let him back in after overtaking him on the left..
Even so, does not excuse the other vehicle

Batista

Executive Member
I dont care if that is a fake cop or a real cop.The true idiot is the person refusing to move over into a another lane when someone wants to pass.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Even so, does not excuse the other vehicle
No, but if you look for *** you'll probably find it.

If it had been me I'd have moved over left, there was then more than 18 seconds for the other vehicle to pass before one even encounters the next truck.

vic777

Expert Member
No, but if you look for *** you'll probably find it.

If it had been me I'd have moved over left, there was then more than 18 seconds for the other vehicle to pass before one even encounters the next truck.
Yes, I agree - I move out of the way if it is safe for me to do so

This is a slippery slope - some people who are overtaking expect you to dissappear out of the lane when they drop out of lightspeed behind you. If some car sits hogging the right lane, I overtake on the left if it is safe, then, when I am well past the idiot in the right lane, I go back into the right lane

Marius Flash

Expert Member
I dont care if that is a fake cop or a real cop.The true idiot is the person refusing to move over into a another lane when someone wants to pass.
I agree ! But there did seem to be another heavy duty vehicle up ahead , and that is why he remained in the right lane, by increasing his speed to eventually move over to left, once he passed the HD truck , but would have to slow down again in any event as there was a sedan passing the HD truck on the right, and he too was going too slow? The so called blue light cop needed to just show some more patience in my opinion.

Flarsiep

And if that blue light chap was on a emergency call? You do not know what that vehicle is for. You simply know it is a blue light.
Inspector, undercover, hawks, new vehicle yet to be outfitted....
By law you need to get of the way of a blue light vehicle, no ifs or buts. It was safe for mr Everest to do so, but typical of most drivers lately he had a **** you attitude towards the vehicle.
And I would expect like most officers on their way to an emergency and being blocked by ********s this chaps was pissed off. He took his expression of anger to ofar, and that is all everybody wil focus on now. never mid the Everest being an ass, that is now overruled by blue light vehicle having anger issues.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
And if that blue light chap was on a emergency call? You do not know what that vehicle is for. You simply know it is a blue light.
Inspector, undercover, hawks, new vehicle yet to be outfitted....
By law you need to get of the way of a blue light vehicle, no ifs or buts. It was safe for mr Everest to do so, but typical of most drivers lately he had a **** you attitude towards the vehicle.
And I would expect like most officers on their way to an emergency and being blocked by ********s this chaps was pissed off. He took his expression of anger to ofar, and that is all everybody wil focus on now. never mid the Everest being an ass, that is now overruled by blue light vehicle having anger issues.
Regardless of him having to get out of the way, what the driver of the blue light vehicle did is inexcusable.

And the driver of the bakkie has now committed an offence of hitting and running by not stopping.

skimread

Executive Member
For a two lane road:
If the left lane is a convoy of trucks travelling 60km an hour. You turn into the right lane to pass the trucks. You are going 120Km/h. While busy passing the trucks another car comes up behind you at 140km/h.

Do you stay in your lane until you passed all the trucks or do you slam on the break until 60Km/h , go back in the left lane and get in between the trucks to let the person pass.

Sometimes you get situations where people are deliberately hogging the right lane but other times you have to put yourself in the other drivers shoes.

Fro

I agree ! But there did seem to be another heavy duty vehicle up ahead , and that is why he remained in the right lane, by increasing his speed to eventually move over to left, once he passed the HD truck , but would have to slow down again in any event as there was a sedan passing the HD truck on the right, and he too was going too slow? The so called blue light cop needed to just show some more patience in my opinion.
For a two lane road:
If the left lane is a convoy of trucks travelling 60km an hour. You turn into the right lane to pass the trucks. You are going 120Km/h. While busy passing the trucks another car comes up behind you at 140km/h.

Do you stay in your lane until you passed all the trucks or do you slam on the break until 60Km/h , go back in the left lane and get in between the trucks to let the person pass.

Sometimes you get situations where people are deliberately hogging the right lane but other times you have to put yourself in the other drivers shoes.
I agree. Some people expect you to ask how high when they say jump.

Last edited: