WATCH | Cape Town driver ignores police, speeds off with shot-out tyres and crashes into parking garage

TheChamp

Honorary Master
No it wouldn't. The engine would eventually overheat and seize.
A friend once had a Corolla that developed issues with the thermostat that led to overheating, the car would switch off and refuse to start when the the temp is too high, it would start again when it has cooled down, I only realise now that was to protect the engine from further damage, I just thought that was perfected in newer more luxurious cars.

Executive Member
Pop a few round into the engine bay, bound to hit an electrical thingy. and kill the engine.
OR through the window at his legs. hit the dashboard and ignition, should kill the engine like that surely?

Isn't there a real concern that the bullets ricochet off the engine?

wingnut771

Honorary Master
A friend once had a Corolla that developed issues with the thermostat that led to overheating, the car would switch off and refuse to start when the the temp is too high, it would start again when it has cooled down, I only realise now that was to protect the engine from further damage, I just thought that was perfected in newer more luxurious cars.
Interesting, good to know. Side note, don't use jap car for getaway. :ROFL: Anyway, it still takes time for the engine to heat up, so can still drive a few km's after taking out the radiator.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Don't think those cops were concerned about anything there. Walking infront of psycho driver, shooting wheels multiple times. Shooting into boot and back of car and down the road etc.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
My Nissan Hardbody did the same when a pipe became dislodged.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Those cops are in BIG trouble.

1. You DO NOT shoot at an inflated tyre with a handgun. People have been killed from bullets coming straight back. Tyres are strong. Handguns are not.
2. You DO NOT shoot at a car driving away like that, in a busy street full of people. WHAT THE HELL.

They were trying to get to the guy, not enforce the law. Huge difference. They should lose their jobs, at the very least.

TheChamp

Honorary Master

1. You DO NOT shoot at an inflated tyre with a handgun. People have been killed from bullets coming straight back. Tyres are strong. Handguns are not.
2. You DO NOT shoot at a car driving away like that, in a busy street full of people. WHAT THE HELL.

They were trying to get to the guy, not enforce the law. Huge difference. They should lose their jobs, at the very least.
Serious? I can see a lot of things they could have done better in that situation, but maybe because I am sitting here with the full benefit of not being in the situation, I think you are being too harsh, there are much more rotten cops who should be flushed out of the system, not these ones.

gamer16

Honorary Master

Sooooo just leave them?

Are you also in the if they aren't wearing helmets you shouldn't chase thief's on motorcycles gang?

AdrianH

Expert Member
The cop running after the car in the last video, good for him! Seen some lazy ass cops in my time, most would have just not bothered.

terencej

Expert Member
very unusual postings I am seeing in this thread....usually its all good on the police, bloody criminals/hijackers should be shot on site.... forumites, is als ok by die huis?
"bloody criminals/hijackers should be shot"- Yeah, the perp was not shot.

Also, when we say shoot the criminals and hijackers we meant they should be dealt with fatally but professionally. Looking like a bunch of chickens with no heads is not doing it professionally. It looks like they are E grade security guards that got issued a car and fire arms.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Serious? I can see a lot of things they could have done better in that situation, but maybe because I am sitting here with the full benefit of not being in the situation, I think you are being too harsh, there are much more rotten cops who should be flushed out of the system, not these ones.

Agreed, there are rotten cops as well. Two cops walking around, guns drawn, with NO following of the basic rules of firearm safety, shooting blindly into the back of a car speeding away is IDIOTIC and dangerous. If they wanted to shoot him, they should have shot him when he was standing still and they had control over where their shots landed. Period. Don't threaten the guy by kicking his door (WTF does that do anyway?), shooting his wheels, trying to break the windows (again, how the hell did they not manage to break the windows?) and only when he manages to get away try and shoot him.

If you couldn't shoot him while he was standing still, your life isn't in danger when he's driving away, so you can't shoot him when he's driving away either. That's retarded.

Sooooo just leave them?

Are you also in the if they aren't wearing helmets you shouldn't chase thief's on motorcycles gang?

You should know me by my posts on here better by now than to think that's the mentality I'd follow.

Yes, the guy did wrong. Bad boi. Cops did wrong as well. Difference is the guy didn't blindly send lead flying into civilization after being useless at doing his job in the first place.

SAguy

Executive Member
All I see are two untrained and ill-equipped officers making fools of themselves.
The guy walks right up to the rear tyre to shoot it head on... lucky ricochet didn't take one of his testicles from him.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Don't think those cops were concerned about anything there. Walking infront of psycho driver, shooting wheels multiple times. Shooting into boot and back of car and down the road etc.
Oh yes, I forgot to say... who the F walks in front of a car you just pulled over ?
Never mind the fact that he was constantly trying to pull away. I think the only reason he wasn't able to pull off was that the wheel arch was hooked on to the police car... which eventually got unhooked.

Its insane that someone would step in front of a car in any situation like that.

Big Rat

Bonnet takes power away. hitting the engine takes power away. aimed at the ground where if a bullet hits will absorb what is left. Very little to no power left in the bullet. And remember, cops are issued with copper jacketed lead bullet. By the time it is past the bonnet that bullet is so deformed already, only wires and pipes are in danger.

beans100

Honorary Master
Seeing that less than 40% of Police Officers had firearm proficiency training, I would guess these metro police didn't go either, judging by the way they handle the firearms.