WATCH: Carjacker steals vehicle in two minutes

Aghori

Honorary Master
Stop buying the Polo and Golf.
Reliable cars but over-priced and really desired by thieves and hijackers.
People think its funny that I drive an Alfa Romeo, but my car has a much lower risk of being hijacked and my life been taken for a car.

This.

My daily ride is a dirty beat-up looking but finely tuned and well serviced Renault RS. It also makes the BMW drivers wide-eyed when I overtake them and wave.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
LOL, yeah. Parked suspiciously as well - even my untrained eye would find that suspicious. I think I'm going to get a steering lock for my car, theft seems to have reached epidemic levels.
Cutoff switch. Simplest and easiest. And install it somewhere good. My old car, I installed it in the boot of the gear shaft. Normally not used but if I parked in a strange area or not at home, or long, slip finger in and set the switch. It just cut the wires to the carb.

R13...

Honorary Master
Cutoff switch. Simplest and easiest. And install it somewhere good. My old car, I installed it in the boot of the gear shaft. Normally not used but if I parked in a strange area or not at home, or long, slip finger in and set the switch. It just cut the wires to the carb.
Good, but the idea is to make the would be thief move on to some other car. Don't want the ****er breaking my lock even.

ThatGuy_ZA

How are they stealing these cars so easily though? I thought it is impossible to hotwire a modern transponder based key car. I know a common trick is to replace the computer box but they don't seem to be doing that.

I'd love to know too. There have been a few videos of this generation of polo being stolen pretty quickly so clearly there is a vulnerability that is being exploited.

ThatGuy_ZA

How are they stealing these cars so easily though? I thought it is impossible to hotwire a modern transponder based key car. I know a common trick is to replace the computer box but they don't seem to be doing that.

I'd love to know too. There have been a few videos of this generation of polo being stolen pretty quickly so clearly there is a vulnerability that is being exploited.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Wonder why people think a late 2008/early 2009 car would be difficult to steal?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Good, but the idea is to make the would be thief move on to some other car. Don't want the ****er breaking my lock even.
Nah, Mom's chico had a gear lock and steering lock, still went in a minute or to, they just jack the rear up and roll it away.

AdrianH

Expert Member
Stop buying the Polo and Golf.
Reliable cars but over-priced and really desired by thieves and hijackers.
People think its funny that I drive an Alfa Romeo, but my car has a much lower risk of being hijacked and my life been taken for a car.
I see your Alfa Romeo, and I raise you Opel Astra ;) :ROFL:

AdrianH

Expert Member
I've made mine very unattractive to thieves and very attractive to police. I get pulled over so bloody often.
My Astra was just unattractive...period!

In all fairness, was a solid car. Sold it after 13 years with 330000 on the clock. The biggest issues where the air con solenoid that packed up, the pulley system that the engine belt runs on needed replacing, and for some reason, the brakes would often get shudder and the discs would need to be skimmed.