WATCH: Chaos erupts at the Carousel Toll Plaza in Limpopo

schumi

Honorary Master
Motorists can be seen driving onto oncoming traffic to try and get through the toll gate quicker.

Seemingly frustrated motorists have taken the law into their own hands at the Carousel Toll Plaza by driving into oncoming traffic to try and get out quicker, Bosveld Review reports.
In a video supplied by the Limpopo department of transport, a queue that seems to be going on for kilometres can be seen in the Southbound lane of the N1 nearing the Carousel Toll Plaza.
Motorists can be seen driving into oncoming traffic to try and avoid congestion.

More at: https://citizen.co.za/news/south-af...erupts-at-the-carousel-toll-plaza-in-limpopo/

MrR

Expert Member
How many arrests and fines for reckless driving/ endangerment and traffic violations?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Something else was seriously wrong on that road yesterday (I came from Warmbaths, took me 2:15 hours and that's with the alternative rerouting), it must have backed up crazily past the Carousel later yesterday. I went through Carousel with heavy enough traffic but not bad, Google decided to to reroute me, but took ages to get to the offramp cause highway was crawling at 30.

On R101 it was slow going too there because cops had roadblocks, R101 eventually opened up after the stupid roadblocks and I got back onto the N1 South there by where the rosebushes place is. I got to Pumulani toll plaza and was through in a second, no congestion at all. People were stuck somewhere behind me.

Something was wrong on that road and the publication must find out what.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Can somebody please tell me why this road is tolled, and what the alternative routes are?
Initially probably for the right reasons, to pay for the road. Now only because the bloated government is gready and need to pay for corruption and grants.

R101

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Can somebody please tell me why this road is tolled, and what the alternative routes are?
Because it was built in 19whatever as a toll road, obviously funding it's construction and then upkeep. The old road is the R101, and thus the free alternative. The R101 in PTA, Midrand and JHB is also the old road between the cities.

Craig

Honorary Master
Video. Social media.

I never understand the attraction in travelling during peak holiday periods. Perhaps the religious ones have a reason but everyone else also seems to follow them.
That makes two of us. I seriously dislike driving during Easter and December holidays as people seem to leave their small underutilized brains at home when they get behind the steering wheel. I'd much rather stay at home and go away some other time.

Emjay

Executive Member
When people do this, it makes my blood boil. They push in and slow the other lanes down even further. If I see this, I think people should just push in and clog up those lanes too. The people sitting lawfully are further delayed by the guys breaking the rules of the road.

namzsteve

Expert Member
I think the government should think of killing tolls during peak times hey, leave the booms open so traffic can flow quicker! But then again we live in SA where the government just wants every single cent from us, even if it causes a mess.

R13...

Honorary Master
I think the government should think of killing tolls during peak times hey, leave the booms open so traffic can flow quicker! But then again we live in SA where the government just wants every single cent from us, even if it causes a mess.
Government would argue that if everyone just got a tag then the situation could be improved a lot. Which is true but we know no one wants to get one because that'd open up the way for government to toll you everywhere else. And I'm not sure what they'd do with all those toll booth operators made redundant.