Watch Gt2 sport now available for pre order

Sinbad

Honorary Master

Bundled with a freelace as well. Nice touch given the new features this watch has over its predecessor.

New chipset gives more functionality while retaining the phenomenal battery life.

Cool new stuff it can do:
Speaker and mic included, you can use it as a Bluetooth audio device for making and taking calls hands free or if your phone is say in the boot or your backpack
Some new exercise modes.
2GB (if I remember right) of flash storage that you can copy mp3s into
Pair the watch with your earbuds and you can play that music off it, without having your phone nearby.
Control music your phone is playing via the watch
Stress monitoring
Notifications look a lot better
Some new faces (we still await custom faces )
Bluetooth range is increased as well.
Nice incremental upgrade on the Gt. I prefer the looks too, without the raised bezel, although that did offer some screen protection...

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Some more thoughts
There is also pretty good sleep tracking carried over from the GT. The long battery life really facilitates this, as you only need to take the watch off for an hour or so every two weeks to keep it running.
All day heart rate tracking as well.

I've had the GT2 for 6 days now, and the battery went down from 70% to 18% in that time- which pretty much correlates to about a 12 day battery life. I have the display set to stay on for 20 seconds when I raise my wrist, shortening this could extend battery life, as could disabling the all day heart tracking. I don't feel the need to do this though as 12 days is still exceptional for a watch of this nature.

There will be after market straps available for these devices as well - I had a look at a really nice metal strap with clasp - just waiting for these to become available and I'll be switching out. I just prefer metal to rubber.

You can sync your favourite contacts to the watch as well, and then initiate calls to them (via your phone) from the watch face directly.

There's no facility to respond to messages, and no ability to add custom apps to the watch as it is running the Lite OS.

rubber_otter

Expert Member
I assume you have to transfer music to the watch via the Health app?

Also, can you control your phones music from the watch? That was left to be desired with my regular Watch GT

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I assume you have to transfer music to the watch via the Health app?

Also, can you control your phones music from the watch? That was left to be desired with my regular Watch GT
Yes and yes, including play/pause, next/prev track and volume control.

Bluetooth file transfers to the watch aren't exactly fast though, as you would know if you've ever done a software update. Fortunately, it will transfer your music in the background once you queue it up.

Park@82

Honorary Master
Re downloading music to local storage... I assume there is no 3rd party support for any music steaming apps e.g Spotify, Play/YouTube music etc?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Not directly on the watch, no.
However I do control my phone's YouTube music and Google play music with the watch.
Remember, lite os. You can't load other apps onto the watch

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
Do you guys use your watch for anything other then sport?

Not trying to knock the watch or Huawei (very happy Huawei phone owner) but if it can't do Strava its a pretty much a 'meh' watch for me. After that it comes down to heart rate and GPS. Garmin beats most in GPS and their HR has got better.

The only benefit I really see with this watch is music at R5000 everyone else is R500+ more expensive for a music version.

jman

Expert Member
Do you guys use your watch for anything other then sport?

Not trying to knock the watch or Huawei (very happy Huawei phone owner) but if it can't do Strava its a pretty much a 'meh' watch for me. After that it comes down to heart rate and GPS. Garmin beats most in GPS and their HR has got better.

The only benefit I really see with this watch is music at R5000 everyone else is R500+ more expensive for a music version.
The inability for Strava integration is a bit of a problem for the fitness fraternity - something I raised with the last GT watch, and it looks like they haven't solved that on the new one.

Otherwise, I think the GT2 is a solid competitor to Garmins. Battery life is something that really stands out

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
Anyone have a charger they done use anymore?
stolen watch etc etc..

I seem to have lost my charging cradle...?:unsure: