Watch: Man critical after BMW smashes into lane divider in Cape Town

Gordon_R

Executive Member
The square of the speed! There is a proportionately large difference at higher speeds.
Can't have the greater forces if there's no speed now can we?
Another perspective is to calculate the height of falling from a building to give a particular speed (ignoring air resistance). Using the formula v^2=2X9.8Xs (and 1m/sec = 3.6km/h)
30km/h is equivalent to a fall of 3.5m (survivable unless you land on your head)
60km/h is equivalent to a fall of 14m (not survivable unless you land in soft ground)
120km/h is equivalent to a fall of 56m (not survivable unless you land in bushes or water)
The figures for 240km/h I leave up to your imagination (skydiving and bungee jumping come to mind...)

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Another perspective is to calculate the height of falling from a building to give a particular speed (ignoring air resistance). Using the formula v^2=2X9.8Xs (and 1m/sec = 3.6km/h)
30km/h is equivalent to a fall of 3.5m (survivable unless you land on your head)
60km/h is equivalent to a fall of 14m (not survivable unless you land in soft ground)
120km/h is equivalent to a fall of 56m (not survivable unless you land in bushes or water)
The figures for 240km/h I leave up to your imagination (skydiving and bungee jumping come to mind...)
A human being won't fall at 240km/h. A human being reaches terminal velocity at around 200km/h, maybe a little less, so it paints a very grim picture. Come to a sudden stop at 240km/h and you're more likely to survive a fall out of an airplane onto tarmac.

Chuckmyster

Executive Member
A human being won't fall at 240km/h. A human being reaches terminal velocity at around 200km/h, maybe a little less, so it paints a very grim picture. Come to a sudden stop at 240km/h and you're more likely to survive a fall out of an airplane onto tarmac.
Tarmac doesn't have airbags, I would rather risk my chances in a car :ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh:

Geoff.D

Executive Member
They can be big into anything they like. That is no justfication for supporting and encouraging illegal street racing ... That is what race tracks and drag racing is for, and that is where it belongs not on our highways.

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_skydiving
Speed skydiving is a skydiving competition, sanctioned by the International Speed Skydiving Association, in which the goal is to achieve and maintain the highest possible terminal velocity. It was developed in the mid 2000s and is the fastest non-motorized sport on Earth. The speed, achieved by the human body in free fall, is a function of several factors; including the body's mass, orientation, and skin area and texture.[1] In stable, belly-to-earth position, terminal velocity is about 200 km/h (120 mph). Stable freefall head down position has a terminal speed of 240–290 km/h (around 150–180 mph). Further minimization of drag by streamlining the body allows for speeds in the vicinity of 480 km/h (300 mph).

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
One report says his mum was with his wife on the bridge

the other says his dad was with his wife

All i am happy about is that this guy was alone and didnt injure anyone else ...

I have heard his family is big into big cars and racing. So such is life
You've heard? He lives in your neck of the woods. You were probably there on that bridge as well!

/runs

genetic

Honorary Master
Wonder what possesses a man to feel that this is what makes him proud of his son.

As far as he's concerned this is as close he'll get to producing a Lewis Hamilton.
Difference is Lewis Hamilton knows how to drive, and doesn't race on public roads.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Difference is Lewis Hamilton knows how to drive, and doesn't race on public roads.
whoa whoa, hold on there!

A fair number of other current F1 drivers are better than that wannabe rapper celebrity, they just don't all sit in the fastest car ... :p

He sure as hell knows infinitely more about driving at speed than brother tawfeeq though.

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
It was his choice, his wife was also fully aware of his street racing. Actions have consequences. Fsck him, we should all be glad he did not take out any others in his arrogant disregard for the lives of others. World will be a better place without him and his ilk.
The only ones that I feel sorry for are the kids.
One less fool around who takes ages to get over a speed bump (small mercies).

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
You've heard? He lives in your neck of the woods. You were probably there on that bridge as well!

/runs
Na i have never been to CPT drags ever ..
even in bellville south when they used to race at sacks i never went ..

In DBN i been to few illegal drags

But i have seen that car multiple times in my area so i knew what car it was