Watch: Man critical after BMW smashes into lane divider in Cape Town

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
That's a very generous long DRS Zone :thumbsup:
Gotta take it easy around that R300 turnoff. I was once a passenger on N1 taking that turn off at 160km/h around that corner onto R300. I crapped a pyramid :eek:
I always look at the bike drivers moering it up around that corner

Chuckmyster

Executive Member
I always look at the bike drivers moering it up around that corner
I'm a everyday biker and I take it easy, 110km/h max and that is crapping myself. I am always scared of the unknown, what I cannot see. If there is a diesel spill or oil slick I am phucked and will hit that barrier and fall over and tumble 8 stories down onto the N1 :oops:
So most times I do around 90km/h around that long sweeping bend.

For anyone interested to see what it must be like to drive at an insane speed on a public road, check out AutoTopNL on YouTube. Loads of videos of him tearing it up on the Autobahn - the cars he goes past almost look like they're stationary at times. And, of course, when he has to change lanes in fractions of a second because someone ahead of him is driving at a "normal" speed.
I've spoken to people like this. They then blame the guy changing lanes, who only saw a car 200m when he checked before doing so.

Chuckmyster

Executive Member
I've spoken to people like this. They then blame the guy changing lanes, who only saw a car 200m when he checked before doing so.
Totally agree, I bike everyday and my rule of thumb is never go faster than 25km/h of what the traffic is doing. This gives me a safe speed to lane split (filter). It is unfair to be riding fast and then get all upset with car drivers when they change lanes and didn't see you. It's not their fault.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Totally agree, I bike everyday and my rule of thumb is never go faster than 25km/h of what the traffic is doing. This gives me a safe speed to lane split (filter). It is unfair to be riding fast and then get all upset with car drivers when they change lanes and didn't see you. It's not their fault.
Here we go ino a debate about bikers and their lane splitting at speed ......
But to add my 2 cents, It is as far as I know illegal to lane split when the traffic is traveling faster than 50 km/hr?

Chuckmyster

Executive Member
But to add my 2 cents, It is as far as I know illegal to lane split wjhen the raffic is traveling faster than 50 km/hr?
I don't remember off hand what the speed limit is but you are right about that. I just lane split at what I feel is comfortable and not irritating others around me :)

Geoff.D

Executive Member
I'm a everyday biker and I take it easy, 110km/h max and that is crapping myself. I am always scared of the unknown, what I cannot see. If there is a diesel spill or oil slick I am phucked and will hit that barrier and fall over and tumble 8 stories down onto the N1 :oops:
What terminal speed would you reach before hitting the N1 below?

Cr419

Executive Member
But to add my 2 cents, It is as far as I know illegal to lane split when the traffic is traveling faster than 50 km/hr?
I've had bikers lane split at highway speeds many times. That's just downright dangerous as you don't expect someone to come zipping past you at that speed and in such close proximity.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
One report says his mum was with his wife on the bridge

the other says his dad was with his wife

All i am happy about is that this guy was alone and didnt injure anyone else ...

I have heard his family is big into big cars and racing. So such is life
Now just imagine if they put all that money and effort into legal racing they could have actually made something of it....now they'll be doing nappies and wheelchairs for the rest of their lives.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
There is no defined regulation of any kind, therefore it cannot be illegal.

There are however guidelines setup by various organisations each with their own opinion.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
That's a very generous long DRS Zone :thumbsup:
Gotta take it easy around that R300 turnoff. I was once a passenger on N1 taking that turn off at 160km/h around that corner onto R300. I crapped a pyramid :eek:
You considered 160km/h around there fast? That's the general speed of every day traffic through there...

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Only if you are very unlucky. Generally you should hit a bush down below...maybe even in the river.

But ja it's a kak corner for visibility.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I've had bikers lane split at highway speeds many times. That's just downright dangerous as you don't expect someone to come zipping past you at that speed and in such close proximity.
Precisely why anyone on a motorcycle with half a brain should make themselves known to the car they are passing at speed by dipping in behind them or waiting for some indication they've been seen and then proceed at a reasonable acceleration.

But many don't do this and just maintain a constant acceleration past everything as if it doesn't exist and there aren't people behind those wheels who can take their own actions...and that's when the **** happens.

ambroseg1

Executive Member
Precisely why anyone on a motorcycle with half a brain should make themselves known to the car they are passing at speed by dipping in behind them or waiting for some indication they've been seen and then proceed at a reasonable acceleration.

But many don't do this and just maintain a constant acceleration past everything as if it doesn't exist and there aren't people behind those wheels who can take their own actions...and that's when the **** happens.
I have bolded and underlined the issue.

*SynergyX*

Expert Member
One report says his mum was with his wife on the bridge

the other says his dad was with his wife

All i am happy about is that this guy was alone and didnt injure anyone else ...

I have heard his family is big into big cars and racing. So such is life
if this is true -- parents of the century award must go to them.
such role models!!!

Cr419

Executive Member

It's bloody scary when you look in the rear mirror, see nothing and as you are putting on the indicator you take one last look over your shoulder and this arsehole comes zipping past.

The ones with the massive exhausts are fine as you hear them before you see them.

Last edited: