Watch: Man critical after BMW smashes into lane divider in Cape Town

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
It's bloody scaring when you look in the rear mirror, see nothing and as you are putting on the indicator you take one last look over your shoulder and this arsehole comes zipping past.

The ones with the massive exhausts are fine as you hear them before you see them.
It's also why having a DRL has changes my life dramatically.

Outside of normal stuck traffic lane splitting if I'm going to pass between two cars at higher speeds I try to hover behind them and dip into lane slightly until I'm sure they are aware and then I pass them happily without issue.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
It's bloody scaring when you look in the rear mirror, see nothing and as you are putting on the indicator you take one last look over your shoulder and this arsehole comes zipping past.

The ones with the massive exhausts are fine as you hear them before you see them.
Those fscking exhausts! I've almost shat myself a few times if driving with the window down! They cruise until they're right next to you and then open up the throttle. Gets me every time :p

scudsucker

Expert Member
I've had bikers lane split at highway speeds many times. That's just downright dangerous as you don't expect someone to come zipping past you at that speed and in such close proximity.
I have had a biker lane split, passing between my car and another - doing a wheelie - when I was doing 110km/h. He must have been doing 120 or more.

Some people have a death wish and do not care who else they kill while fulfilling it.

Chuckmyster

Executive Member
I have had a biker lane split, passing between my car and another - doing a wheelie - when I was doing 110km/h. He must have been doing 120 or more.

Some people have a death wish and do not care who else they kill while fulfilling it.
Yup i agree, i commute N2 SWest into CT everyday and most bikers lane split ok, but not all of them.
The N1 here is the scariest, when i hit the N1 after work and head towards Paarl area every Friday I see bikers lane splitting >160km/h.
Mostly Superbikers with a Kuilsrivier registration plate. Dumb Phucks with a death wish on them. I feel no sympathy when i see one taken out on the N1 during peak hr traffic

Gordon_R

Executive Member
I think there was a whole line of people on that bridge taking videos, each with a slightly different angle.

Followup article: http://www.capetalk.co.za/articles/...wn-on-speeding-highlighted-by-drag-race-crash

Transport MEC in Western Cape, Donald Grant says they are looking at putting through an amendment bill for traffic laws in the Western Cape.

This comes after a car that was drag racing on the national road was involved in a horrific accident on Monday morning.

Grant says the car was speeding at 290 km/h.

Grant says they are looking at lobbying the justice cluster to implement greater consequences for motorists who exceed the speed limit.

At the moment, Grant says they are entitled to arrest speeding motorists and take them to court but there should be far greater consequences.
Not sure what other consequences there can be, other than taking someone to court...

McSack

Executive Member
It's bloody scary when you look in the rear mirror, see nothing and as you are putting on the indicator you take one last look over your shoulder and this arsehole comes zipping past.

The one's with the massive exhausts are harleys ...they are either too fat or too slow (more like both) to lane split past you which is why everyone sees them. The thundering exhaust is there to make sure people notice all the bling and tassles rather than for safety reasons :whistling:

Chuckmyster

Executive Member
The one's with the massive exhausts are harleys ...they are either too fat or too slow (more like both) to lane split past you which is why everyone sees them. The thundering exhaust is there to make sure people notice all the bling and tassles rather than for safety reasons :whistling:
Can't stand those buckets of bolts.
Hardly Dangerous bikes should not be allowed on our roads
Tsek Julle Naaiers !!!!!

nightjar

Expert Member
:oops:... May Allah grant him a speedy recovery and make it easy for him and his family."
..........grant him a speedy recovery and make it easy for him to repeat the stupidity and possibly kill someone next time round.

Not how I want to see it.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
It's bloody scary when you look in the rear mirror, see nothing and as you are putting on the indicator you take one last look over your shoulder and this arsehole comes zipping past.

I was on the N1 a few weeks ago a few KM before the accident the OP is referring to.

The speed limit is 80KM/h and I was doing about 90, there was a car about 200m in front of me.
The driver put their indicator on, waited (I assume while checking) and then as they started moving over, an idiot on a superbike comes flying past me like I was standing still and had to slam on his breaks and nearly hit the car that was quite a distance in front of me switching lanes.

He immediately started cursing at the car driver as if they were at fault.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
And the loud exhausts, that are definitely on superbikes, what are those correctly called then? Cause that's what Cr419 was talking about...

Chuckmyster

Executive Member
Why? Do they leak oil like the Landrovers do? Or because at least they can't break the road rules?
:laugh::ROFL::laugh::ROFL: All of the above and the road isn't wide enough for me to pass one on my bike. They are made for long straight American roads and should never have been allowed to be brought to this country :ROFL: