Watch: Man critical after BMW smashes into lane divider in Cape Town

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Illegal drag race horror crash 'unnecessary and should not have happened'

Cape Town - The illegal drag racing incident that took place on Monday was unnecessary and it should not have happened.

This was the response from Executive Manager of the Killarney International Raceway, Des Easom, who emphasised that Cape Town has a venue where Robot Racing is held every Wednesday night in a safe, controlled environment.

"The saddest part is that this horrific crash was unnecessary," Easom concluded. "It should never have happened.

"In March 2016 the circuit partnered with the City of Cape Town to open the Killarney drag strip to street racers every Wednesday night - at no cost to competitors," he said.

"Entry to the venue is R70 per person for both drivers and spectators, and there is no further charge to compete

"No special equipment is needed; any roadworthy, street-legal car can compete, once it has passed a basic safety check and the driver is wearing a crash helmet (which can be hired at the circuit).”

dlk001

Executive Member
I was on the N1 a few weeks ago a few KM before the accident the OP is referring to. The speed limit is 80KM/h and I was doing about 90, there was a car about 200m in front of me. The driver put their indicator on, waited (I assume while checking) and then as they started moving over, an idiot on a superbike comes flying past me like I was standing still and had to slam on his breaks and nearly hit the car that was quite a distance in front of me switching lanes.

He immediately started cursing at the car driver as if they were at fault.
+1 Idiotic behavior indeed.

Here in Joburg, N1 Western Bypass, I have seen many superbike accidents and last week it almost happened behind me. They often fly past me, driving on the emergency lane next to the Sanral barrier. There is absolutely no need for them to drive that fast.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
:laugh::ROFL::laugh::ROFL: All of the above and the road isn't wide enough for me to pass one on my bike. They are made for long straight American roads and should never have been allowed to be brought to this country :ROFL:
My uncle 15 years younger than my mom had one. I remember he was always working on the thing and an oil pan on the stoep in Krugersdorp where he parked this enormous machine.

Craig

Honorary Master
Can't stand those buckets of bolts.
Hardly Dangerous bikes should not be allowed on our roads
Tsek Julle Naaiers !!!!!
I like the look of harleys, plus they don't drive as fast as some of the others so they are safer.

I was on the N1 a few weeks ago a few KM before the accident the OP is referring to.

The speed limit is 80KM/h and I was doing about 90, there was a car about 200m in front of me.
The driver put their indicator on, waited (I assume while checking) and then as they started moving over, an idiot on a superbike comes flying past me like I was standing still and had to slam on his breaks and nearly hit the car that was quite a distance in front of me switching lanes.

He immediately started cursing at the car driver as if they were at fault.
These idiots don't ever see themselves as being at fault.

Ja, 1 silly night of playing and now this !
Probably many nights of playing, just this one time his number came up.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
Insanity, goes to show that these guys don't just want to race, the thrill of doing it illegally is part of the buzz....idiots.
"In March 2016 the circuit partnered with the City of Cape Town to open the Killarney drag strip to street racers every Wednesday night - at no cost to competitors," he said.

"Entry to the venue is R70 per person for both drivers and spectators, and there is no further charge to compete.

That article makes no sense. Anyways, the brothers and sisters from the Plain get free access on the bridge over the N1 :thumbsup:
So why bother with Killarney which is only open to public on a school night ?

McSack

Executive Member
And the loud exhausts, that are definitely on superbikes, what are those correctly called then? Cause that's what Cr419 was talking about...
He clearly said that the "massive exhaust ones" are the bikes he sees coming . Crotch-rocketters are the ones zipping past surreptitiously
It's bloody scary when you look in the rear mirror, see nothing and as you are putting on the indicator you take one last look over your shoulder and this arsehole comes zipping past.

The ones with the massive exhausts are fine as you hear them before you see them.
Harley riders are the vegans/crossfitters of the biking fraternity.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Here we go ino a debate about bikers and their lane splitting at speed ......
But to add my 2 cents, It is as far as I know illegal to lane split when the traffic is traveling faster than 50 km/hr?
No speed limit on doing it in South Africa, and no reason to have one.

I've had bikers lane split at highway speeds many times. That's just downright dangerous as you don't expect someone to come zipping past you at that speed and in such close proximity.
I consider it downright safe. At least as safe as being a lane with massive metal objects behind and in front.

Not sure what other consequences there can be, other than taking someone to court...
Sounds like the usual nonsense from a DA member. Perhaps he is thinking along the same lines as that ANC twit who wanted to punish people before they've even been convicted.

bratwurst

Expert Member
You considered 160km/h around there fast? That's the general speed of every day traffic through there...
Agreed. 160 around that bend isn't fast.
Those fscking exhausts! I've almost shat myself a few times if driving with the window down! They cruise until they're right next to you and then open up the throttle. Gets me every time :p
I open up deliberately when you drive under the speed limit. I always enjoy the moment I can pass that Sunday driver doing 40 in a 60 zone or 60 in 80 zone. More so if your windows are open. I'll push that V8 wide open.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Why? Do they leak oil like the Landrovers do? Or because at least they can't break the road rules?
They can break most of the rules. 883s and Roadsters will easily do lane splitting and reach well in excess of posted speed limits. They also tend to be way heavier than a Japanese equivalent. Harleys have a bad reputation because they have historically been poorly designed and that poor design has then been made to the traditionally low standards of the US motor industry. They are also very expensive for what you get. I think they've improved on their quality and design, but still cost far more than a superior Japanese machine.

Dan C

Honorary Master

"Entry to the venue is R70 per person for both drivers and spectators, and there is no further charge to compete.

That article makes no sense. Anyways, the brothers and sisters from the Plain get free access on the bridge over the N1 :thumbsup:
So why bother with Killarney which is only open to public on a school night ?
Everyone pays R70 entrance whether you race or not. Racers don't pay anything additional.

Craig

Honorary Master
I consider it downright safe. At least as safe as being a lane with massive metal objects behind and in front.

You consider it safe only because you are guilty of doing this. But have you seen how many morons change lanes without looking and without indicating, and now you want to add a moegoe flying at high speeds in between that morons, and you consider that totally safe? Did you perhaps fall on your head a few times?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You consider it safe only because you are guilty of doing this. But have you seen how many morons change lanes without looking and without indicating, and now you want to add a moegoe flying at high speeds in between that morons, and you consider that totally safe? Did you perhaps fall on your head a few times?
So this is the problem. How do you know they have not looked? Indicators yes but not 2 ms before changing lanes.
I have a 4x4 with side mirrors and small mirrors. I check pretty well before changing lanes, AFTER first indicating my intentions. And still, a speeding bike will catch one by surprise! Simply because you are expecting them to be approaching at more or less the speed limit. especially if they are weaving back and forth from one side of a lane to another trying to decide which lane to split. They are a damn menace, end of story.

animehero

Expert Member
What time did this accident happen?
Pretty sure I drove there between 8-9pm on Monday night,but I noticed the barrier last night.Only saw this thread now.
Man these guys are mental. Thats the same bridge people throw stones from.I drive 80-90km on that stretch when I need to travel that way

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
I like the look of harleys, plus they don't drive as fast as some of the others so they are safer.
erm ... I feel sick and filthy for just having researched this, but a Harley Electra Glide's top speed is 120mph / 190km/h

- it has a max lean angle of only 30 degrees (i.e. it can't turn for shyte)
- it weighs over 400kg (i.e. it can't stop for shyte)
- it places the rider in that stupid backward leaning position (i.e. the rider can't see shyte, nor physically react to shyte)

A Harley is many things (all of them negative), but "safer" definitely isn't one of them.

A typical modern superbike has a lean angle of over 50 degrees, weighs less than half a Harley and puts the rider leaning forward where he/she can see everything and has his/her centre of gravity placed optimally to change direction when he/she wishes. It will turn quicker and harder and stop faster than a Harley going at the same speed. Hell it can go a fair amount faster and STILL turn quicker and stop faster than a Harley.

Would you prefer a 400kg Harley barreling down on you at 190km/h or a superbike coming at you at 200km/h? I know which I'd prefer.

Craig

Honorary Master
So this is the problem. How do you know they have not looked? Indicators yes but not 2 ms before changing lanes.
I have a 4x4 with side mirrors and small mirrors. I check pretty well before changing lanes, AFTER first indicating my intentions. And still, a speeding bike will catch one by surprise! Simply because you are expecting them to be approaching at more or less the speed limit. especially if they are weaving back and forth from one side of a lane to another trying to decide which lane to split. They are a damn menace, end of story.
I'm in complete agreement with you Geoff.D, if you follow my last few posts here that is exactly what I'm saying. I'm not saying nobody checks their mirrors, but many don't, many also don't indicate. People do stupid things on the roads. And adding a biker lane splitting at high speeds just makes it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.