Watch: Man critical after BMW smashes into lane divider in Cape Town

Craig

Executive Member
erm ... I feel sick and filthy for just having researched this, but a Harley Electra Glide's top speed is 120mph / 190km/h

- it has a max lean angle of only 30 degrees (i.e. it can't turn for shyte)
- it weighs over 400kg (i.e. it can't stop for shyte)
- it places the rider in that stupid backward leaning position (i.e. the rider can't see shyte, nor physically react to shyte)

A Harley is many things (all of them negative), but "safer" definitely isn't one of them.

A typical modern superbike has a lean angle of over 50 degrees, weighs less than half a Harley and puts the rider leaning forward where he/she can see everything and has his/her centre of gravity placed optimally to change direction when he/she wishes. It will turn quicker and harder and stop faster than a Harley going at the same speed. Hell it can go a fair amount faster and STILL turn quicker and stop faster than a Harley.

Would you prefer a 400kg Harley barreling down on you at 190km/h or a superbike coming at you at 200km/h? I know which I'd prefer.
I have no horse in this race, I don't care either way. I would prefer that neither of them comes barreling down on me, they should both be following the rules of the road.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Just heard from a co worker listening to the radio that both legs are now amputated from the Beemer driver :eek:
No worries, you can set a modern Beemer's cruise control speed and just activate it to make the car race without touching the throttle pedal ... and brother tawfeeq doesn't need breaks, he's a proper street racer!

Back on the streets in no time then ...

Chuckmyster

Executive Member
So this is the problem. How do you know they have not looked? Indicators yes but not 2 ms before changing lanes.
I have a 4x4 with side mirrors and small mirrors. I check pretty well before changing lanes, AFTER first indicating my intentions. And still, a speeding bike will catch one by surprise! Simply because you are expecting them to be approaching at more or less the speed limit. especially if they are weaving back and forth from one side of a lane to another trying to decide which lane to split. They are a damn menace, end of story.
When i approach and see someone with indicator on i always slow down to same speed and give a friendly hoot for them to change lane before i go ahead again.
At the end of the day I am the one sharing your lane and will always respect that. :thumbsup:

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
I have no horse in this race, I don't care either way. I would prefer that neither of them comes barreling down on me, they should both be following the rules of the road.
Sure sure, only one of them can break the rules of the road "safely" however and it is not the Harley. Of course once you exceed very high speeds all bets are off.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Ok, I'll bite. Which rule are these that can be safely broken?
Speed obviously, which is the topic, 120km/h is an arbitrary number after all that was thumb sucked decades ago, but I digress.

A superbike stops significantly faster than a Harley, ergo, if you consider a Harley going 120km/h to be "safe" because it isn't breaking the law, then the superbike can be at least as safe as a Harley while going at illegal speeds.

Talking differences of 10's of km/h here of course where the superbike will still be stopping faster despite going faster than the Harley, not 100km/h differences. There's obviously a limit to how far you can push things

Hellhound105

Expert Member
I'm in complete agreement with you Geoff.D, if you follow my last few posts here that is exactly what I'm saying. I'm not saying nobody checks their mirrors, but many don't, many also don't indicate. People do stupid things on the roads. And adding a biker lane splitting at high speeds just makes it worse.

There is soo much wrong with road users. My first problem is people do not understand the rules. People still debating the keep left pass right rule. I am 110% certain this afternoon, in 1 hour, I will get on the R24 and lane 1 will be empty, lane 2 will be empty, lane 3 will have an idiot doing 100KM/h and lane 4 will have everyone else trying to go 120KM/h.

Best thing is that when the idiot gets behind another car doing 99KM/h he instantly as he turns on his indicator he goes into the overtake lane without checking the mirrors.

Craig

Executive Member
Speed obviously, which is the topic, 120km/h is an arbitrary number after all that was thumb sucked decades ago, but I digress.

A superbike stops significantly faster than a Harley, ergo, if you consider a Harley going 120km/h to be "safe" because it isn't breaking the law, then the superbike can be at least as safe as a Harley while going at illegal speeds.

Talking differences of 10's of km/h here of course where the superbike will still be stopping faster despite going faster than the Harley, not 100km/h differences. There's obviously a limit to how far you can push things
As I said, I don't care much for bikes, whether it's harleys or Kawasaki's, I said it's safer as I can hear him (or whatever else bike is also loud, it's not only harley's) before I see him.

And if you think it's safe driving at very high speeds you are a moron. The public roads are not race tracks, this taufeeq idiot also thought it's fine driving that fast and look what it got him, now in the same thread, you are trying to justify driving at silly speeds. Wake up before someone has to wipe your brains off the tar.

Last edited:

Hellhound105

Expert Member

Agreed, but at some point, like 320KM/h it is getting out of hand. Nobody can handle 320KM/h when an idiot 50 meters in front of you does some BS.

Its like the comment I made yesterday, everyone is happy spewing 120KM/h as the speed limit. But why not 110KM/h, its more fuel efficient as some would say. Why not 100KM/h as your reaction time is increased.

Or what about trucks doing 50KM/h on the freeway, I thought 60 was the minimum, no one complains about that.

I happily do 160 KM/h. But its not always possible.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
They can break most of the rules. 883s and Roadsters will easily do lane splitting and reach well in excess of posted speed limits. They also tend to be way heavier than a Japanese equivalent. Harleys have a bad reputation because they have historically been poorly designed and that poor design has then been made to the traditionally low standards of the US motor industry. They are also very expensive for what you get. I think they've improved on their quality and design, but still cost far more than a superior Japanese machine.
I don't know hey I feel Harleys gets thrown into the mix where it should actually just be cruisers in general.

People are comparing the wrong things.

Japanese cruisers and other market ones are all extremely expensive purely for what they are.

It's not really a Harley thing, it's a cruiser thing.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Would you prefer a 400kg Harley barreling down on you at 190km/h or a superbike coming at you at 200km/h? I know which I'd prefer.
The Harley.

Why? Because it's the mentality of the rider that makes all the difference and therefore I guarantee the Harley won't be the one barreling down on you in the first place.

For the same reason you'll rarely ever see them hitting those top speeds and therefore rarely ever require the braking distance.

Also, anecdotal sure, but how often do you see Harleys next to the road after a crash? Very very rarely...superbikes on the other hand...

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
I said it's safer as I can hear him
No you said it's safer because they are slower, which is a fallacy considering they can go almost 200km/h and not handle that speed nearly as well as a purpose built machine.

Leaving that aside, safer because you can hear them is false as well, the millisecond your safety on the road that you share with a biker depends on your reaction as opposed to theirs, safety has already gone out the window.

3lOH55A

Expert Member
As I said, I don't care much for bikes, whether it's harleys or Kawasaki's, I said it's safer as I can hear him (or whatever else bike is also loud, it's not only harley's) before I see him.

And if you think it's safe driving at very high speeds you are a moron. The public roads are not race tracks, this taufeeq idiot also thought it's fine driving that fast and look what it got him, now in the same thread, you are trying to justify driving at silly speeds. Wake up before someone has to wipe your brains off the tar.
How slow are you going if you hear cars or bikes coming from behind?

Speed is most definitely not the issue.