Watch out for Mac malware - have you been infected?

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
apple has already released updates for this java exploit.
"already", hehe. You make it sound like they reacted quickly. It was discovered last year and the exploit was out the wild in feb already. If they are going to control the patching process they need to be quicker.

d0b33

Honorary Master
"already", hehe. You make it sound like they reacted quickly. It was discovered last year and the exploit was out the wild in feb already. If they are going to control the patching process they need to be quicker.

It has been released already, you don't own a mac why should it bother you? it's a java exploit so Apple is not solely responsible.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
It has been released already, you don't own a mac why should it bother you?

Erm, I have a mac.... use it as a guest pc. I was given a MacBook Pro. The previous owner (my wifes father), got fed up with and gave it to me :D Im sure weve being down this road already...
it's a java exploit so Apple is not solely responsible.
Totally agree. This is how most computers are exploited. However, Apple and Java could got this sorted out last year already. They could have informed and warned people from Feb to April. Anyways, they seem to be getting better at patching.

Last edited:

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
For what it's worth, OSX (Lion at least, I don't remember the earlier models) does not come with Java installed by default. It does have 'java' binary that just promtps you to ask if it can install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). So far, the only thing that has caused this to happen is OpenOffice. I just chose "not now" and OpenOffice still works for my needs.

No Java, No Problem ;)

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Relatively speaking... the outbreak is bigger than conficker was.
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent...alware_outbreak_is_bigger_than_conficker.html
Their estimates of Conficker are on the low side according to wikipedia who touts figures of between 9 and 15 million. "Relatively speaking" if 600,000 infected machines is bad - 9-15million is worse. :)

I'd like to hope Tim Cook's Apple will be more proactive when it comes to dealing with security threats but only time will tell.

clasqm

Isn't that most the Macs out there?
I thought Apple cracked the phone and tablet market, but their desktops market is tiny?

Apple does not differentiate between desktops and laptops in their reporting but this is the current situation:

screen-shot-2012-01-11-at-1-57-10-pm.png

Or, roughly one in every 13 computers sold in the US in the 4th quarter of 2011 was a Mac.

Whether that is "tiny" is a judgement call. The international picture would differ, of course.

macboer

This is such a TrollFest

but: Not infected. Don't know of anyone that's infected.

This is still so much easier to deal with than on Windows.

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
If you're on Mac OS Lion, or the latest Snow Leopard Java update, you're ok. If you have XCode, MS Office or Antivirus installed, you're ok (the malware checks for those). Thus this virus only infects older macs that don't update often (very clever).

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
If you're on Mac OS Lion, or the latest Snow Leopard Java update, you're ok. If you have XCode, MS Office or Antivirus installed, you're ok (the malware checks for those). Thus this virus only infects older macs that don't update often (very clever).

Ms office? That's new to me. F-secure specified the following

On execution, the malware checks if the following path exists in the system:

/Library/Little Snitch
/Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/MacOS/Xcode
/Applications/VirusBarrier X6.app
/Applications/iAntiVirus/iAntiVirus.app
/Applications/avast!.app
/Applications/ClamXav.app
/Applications/HTTPScoop.app
/Applications/Packet Peeper.app

[)roi(]

Executive Member
I use little snitch; so these type of risks are less likely by requiring all app communication to be explicitly approved.

For example: This Trojan specifically uninstalled itself if little snitch was present.