Watch out for Procall debit order fraud

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Watch out for Procall debit order fraud

FNB has seen unusually high volumes of unauthorised debit orders to Procall and Mzansi, said the bank.

The bank detected that many of its customers were disputing Procall and Mzansi debit orders via the FNB app and online banking portal.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
If they are widely reported as fraudulent, then Blacklist all procall debit orders and they have to prove which are actually valid.

BBSA

Honorary Master
Someone should lay criminal charges. These fraudster should be locked up.

system32

Expert Member
Excuse my ignorance - what is Procall / Mzansi?

I think the banks are not interested in stopping this theft by debit orders.
Would be easy to implement debit order opt-in verification on the web / app.
They make too much money from rogue operators.
Same as MTN not implementing OOB blocking or MTN WASP fantasy league.

Do the banks not have a reputation to uphold?
Bank must report Procall / Mzansi to the FIC and disable their & owners accounts like banks did with Bosasa and Gupta's and ban owners from ever opening a bank account in ZA.

Last edited:

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Awesome news. I stopped using FNB and use Capitec but good news nonetheless. Hopefully all banks are this pro-active.

If they are widely reported as fraudulent, then Blacklist all procall debit orders and they have to prove which are actually valid.
According to the article, FNB are reversing all the debit orders.

Someone should lay criminal charges. These fraudster should be locked up.
That is exactly what FNB did, according to the article.

So who is going to charge these fahrkers. It's theft.
That is exactly what FNB did, according to the article.

Louis72

Really? No set free amount of debit orders reversals P/m?
Who generally has debit orders less than R200 anyways?

Nobody Important

Executive Member
Really? No set free amount of debit orders reversals P/m?
Who generally has debit orders less than R200 anyways?
The scammers typically load R99 debit orders in an attempt to stay under the radar. So a R200 limit would sort the bulk of these issues.

For amounts larger than that I suppose FNB wants to vet and make sure that the customer themselves aren't committing some fraud by using a service and not paying for it. Leaving the bank at risk after a reversal.

Thankfully I have not been victim to these scams, but should I fall victim, I am glad that I moved from FNB to Capitec. I have witnessed first hand how Capitec fights the merchant on the customer's behalf.

R13...

Honorary Master
The problem is that if you read hello Peter you'd notice this procall scamsters have pulled this trick multiple times over the past few years.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Or ask me to authorise new debit orders via the app similar to the way I have to confirm new beneficiaries.

jeevadotnet

You guys missing the point. Friend of mine had this same issue on Standard Bank and they told him they can't help. The only solution they gave him was to close his account, open a new one and change Everything over. (time consuming). Standard bank even charged him to reactivate overdraft on his new cheque account.

This all to get rid of the R100pm debit order. FNB acted proactive and even allows you to reverse it. Definitely something STD bank couldn't do and I bet you most of the other big 4 as well.

access

Executive Member
if only the fraudster would sign up for debicheck, peoples bank accounts would be safe... :rolleyes: