Watch out for these card skimming and PIN theft tricks

It seems that we are "varked" - time for eye scanners ... :wtf:

Last edited:
Just place spare fingers on the keys you are not going to have to press. This way they will all show up equally heated. Low tech solution.

Meh. Just put Skimprotect strips on your cards. Then they can't copy the magstrip.

Something rather low tech happened to me. I blame my own stupidity here, but I was fortunate enough to realise what was happening before I did something stupid.

Went to ATM, random dude was walking away from it. Took out card, and POOF - it disappeared from my hands. Next thing I know, that same guy is explaining to me how he can help, all I need to do is type in my PIN and things will "be OK".

The wally navigated to the menu where you can type in a code to receive money or something, where the digits are displayed rather than masked with bullets or asterisks.

I declined his help, and poof, card appeared. Then I bolted.

It all happened so fast. That guy was like the Flash.

The thing nobody mentions is these guys are able to CLONE CHIP CARDS. It has happened to us.
What people also don't know is the number embossed on the card is the same number encoded into the magstripe.

A solution that works, is to not draw money from ATMs that do not have security staff around such as the ATM outside the small shopping centre and other open spaces.

Something rather low tech happened to me. I blame my own stupidity here, but I was fortunate enough to realise what was happening before I did something stupid.

Went to ATM, random dude was walking away from it. Took out card, and POOF - it disappeared from my hands. Next thing I know, that same guy is explaining to me how he can help, all I need to do is type in my PIN and things will "be OK".

The wally navigated to the menu where you can type in a code to receive money or something, where the digits are displayed rather than masked with bullets or asterisks.

I declined his help, and poof, card appeared. Then I bolted.

It all happened so fast. That guy was like the Flash.

Where did this happen?

It's really time to start phasing in a combination of biometric identification methods, and/or phasing out cash.

The thing nobody mentions is these guys are able to CLONE CHIP CARDS. It has happened to us.
What people also don't know is the number embossed on the card is the same number encoded into the magstripe.

A solution that works, is to not draw money from ATMs that do not have security staff around such as the ATM outside the small shopping centre and other open spaces.

Technically they do not clone the chip. They just copy the mag stripe on the chip card and then use the cloned card on a terminal/ATM that is not capable of reading chip cards. The fraudulent transactions would most probably take place outside of South Africa since basically all terminals/ATMs in SA are chip capable.

So technically those skimprotect strips will actually make a difference.

Technically they do not clone the chip. They just copy the mag stripe on the chip card and then use the cloned card on a terminal/ATM that is not capable of reading chip cards. The fraudulent transactions would most probably take place outside of South Africa since basically all terminals/ATMs in SA are chip capable.

So technically those skimprotect strips will actually make a difference.
Happened in JHB and FNB confirmed the chip card was cloned...

How about some stats on how many of these skims were successfully exploited? And name the banks as well.

Just place spare fingers on the keys you are not going to have to press. This way they will all show up equally heated. Low tech solution.

ok, but i thought banks atm's had video surveillance, why not just lock the oke up with the video evidence?

I have more fear for these new RFID cards.
I like them. Faster & easier.

Plus they're capped per transaction & per day so you can't do that much damage with them really. I doubt you could pull more than 2k on mine (5x400Zar - guessing on the 5 part)

Back