WATCH: Queer activists occupy lavish Camps Bay residence for 'safe space' usage

lumeer

Expert Member
If they leave by Thursday costs won't be awarded against them, but I'm sure that doesn't preclude a civil suit?

So the rental agency has to carry the legal costs? Crazy. These protesters managed to come up with R 15000 for the initial rental, so it's not like they're penniless.

nightjar

Executive Member
So the rental agency has to carry the legal costs? Crazy. These protesters managed to come up with R 15000 for the initial rental, so it's not like they're penniless.
This is a case where the property agents might have done better by seeking help from the protection boys who "look after" the City nightclubs, coffee bars etc.

vigras rojara

Expert Member
This is a case where the property agents might have done better by seeking help from the protection boys who "look after" the City nightclubs, coffee bars etc.
Yeah, but the case was in the news a lot. Wouldn't have been a good look for the agents/owner.

Oldfut

By HSRC, do you perhaps mean HRC? They're separate entities.

Hijacking of buildings and violent evictions happen in CoJ as well. And courts have ruled against these in the past.

Of course; HRC (dope me) Bonang's little race shop. But the overall picture is not so great. The influx of people into major cities, building informal settlements (and occupying buildings) then expecting (or rioting for) services is not healthy or sustainable, particularly when protected by the courts etc. Even obtaining court orders and physically evicting people is unpleasant, unproductive and expensive. Not releasing land for housing, and having corrupt tenders compounds the problem.

But all really off topic which is essentially about the unintended (I assume) consequences or poor legislation.

konfab

Honorary Master
So, according to the city, if you illegally occupy a home & make enough of stink about it, you'll be rewarded with accommodation from the city.
This is what happens when you deny people agency.

The law treats these people as if they are stray animals rather than people who knowingly broke the law.

Now I am fine with treating people like animals if they want to be treated like animals, who should be looked after and cared for their entire lives, provided that said people don't get the responsibility of being an adult.

Eric

Honorary Master
Seriously easy solution. Dump 10 Cape cobras on the property and send an anonymous link to a vid of them being dumped to these poepalls.
I would.

Get a few cell jammers and install them at the boundary. These snowflakes wouldn't last 5 minutes without Instagram.

Get Eskom to turn off services to the house.

Turn off the municipal water.

Etc. Etc.

Kieppie

Expert Member
Take some people, pick these people up, put them on a shoulder and gently place them down outside the door and lock it. How difficult can this really be?

neoprema

Expert Member
You need to be hard on people like this. You tell them to leave, and if they don't you'll start with the family and friends and "work" your way down to them.

Or just throw a massive "we support you" party there with lots of free and "special" alcohol. Once they're all out cold you have them removed and placed under a tree or something.

nivek

Executive Member
Take some people, pick these people up, put them on a shoulder and gently place them down outside the door and lock it. How difficult can this really be?
Even if you pick them up gently they'll find a way to skew the imagery in such a way that will depict a story of "women abuse" and "gbv"
Although, is it still gbv if you're "non binary" and don't have a gender? :unsure:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Those 'activists' which will be provided with housing by the city have been determined to be homeless by the court hence accommodations had to be made and why the date was set to Thursday to vacate the property. IIRC, it applies to only three.

It is all in the court papers.

D tj

Expert Member
Pride comes before a fall...expect a drop in living circumstances soon.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The law is ****ed up.

Cape High Court rules Camps Bay occupiers cannot be evicted
The headline is sensational. See what the order actually said. Because three are really homeless under the given circumstances accommodations had to be made hence the stayed eviction notice.

They may be evicted on Thursday with costs have they not vacated the property by noon that day.

Francois Marais

The law is ****ed up.

Cape High Court rules Camps Bay occupiers cannot be evicted

Fudge! This is lekker man! He must be into that kind of lifestyle. And why make an exception for the 3 that lost their houses? What about the rest of the people in South Africa that lost everything?
Is he going to tell the guy I am renting from not to evict me when I cannot pay rent because I received R2000 as a salary? I doubt that he will even bat an eye!