• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Watch: The Verge Fail At PC Building

mmmig

Honorary Master
The Verge has released a PC build Guide that is totally wrong and with advice that could destroy a PC. As a result of people calling them out on the video they disabled comments and ratings

Stillie

Expert Member
1) is the anti static wrist strap not meant to be strapped to the table or something?
2) Who uses a swiss army knife for screwing the screws in?
3) Yes bang the graphics card with your hand.
4) Which "lane", 16x PCIe is generally a good choice :p
5) :laugh: make sure the PSU doesnt short circuit
6) i did not know all PSUs come with detachable cables?! hmmmm

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Somewhere between nitpicking and actual fails, if you ask me. Like fans the wrong way around, etc.

S7wede

Expert Member
I'm surprised the PC even made it to post with both sticks of RAM in single channel. Some boards that support dual channel (like this specific board does) won't even get to post and will give you the long and 2 short beeps to indicate a faulty memory setup.

Also, rewatching that, he completely perforated his radiator by using the long screws to go THROUGH the radiator instead of fastening the fans to it.

Last edited:

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Seems more nitpicking, didn't really see anything outright fail
Not putting the memory in the optimal slots for dual channel operation is a fail.
Not knowing that you should use the PCIE x16 slot for the graphics card is a fail.
His reasoning for the PSU being mounted on rubber thingies is a fail (apparently they short-circuit if mounted directly against the floor of the case but no short-circuit when screwed against the back of the case? :unsure:)
Not cleaning the pre-applied thermal compound off the heatsink is fail.
The amount of after-market thermal compound he used is a fail.
The cable routing is a smaller fail.

Looks like The Verge couldn't find anyone in their office who'd built PC's before so they picked this guy.

R4ziel

Didn't watch the video, but is the "fail" really a fail.. or is it more nitpicking?
If you are building a PC for a friend, all of these things would be considered "nitpicking". Doing a video on how to build a PC on an active(ish) youtube channel and calling it a tutorial and then making these mistakes, is a fail

Lupus

Honorary Master
Not putting the memory in the optimal slots for dual channel operation is a fail.
Not knowing that you should use the PCIE x16 slot for the graphics card is a fail.
His reasoning for the PSU being mounted on rubber thingies is a fail (apparently they short-circuit if mounted directly against the floor of the case but no short-circuit when screwed against the back of the case? :unsure:)
Not cleaning the pre-applied thermal compound off the heatsink is fail.
The amount of after-market thermal compound he used is a fail.
The cable routing is a smaller fail.

Looks like The Verge couldn't find anyone in their office who'd built PC's before so they picked this guy.
Look none of that will actually destroy the PC, it will just make it run slowly. If he went and put the cpu in incorretly and bent the pins, or he put the ram in the wrong way. Look it's a really basic guide, a bad one but it's basic, it's more like what we would've done in the old days.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Just noticed the PSU fan is facing into the case...so he's exhausting air from cooling the PSU into the case. That's not great.

That whole thing about using that plastic thing to mount the CPU is silly but not a fail. The CPU and socket have gold triangle things to align them correctly - no need for a tool to mount, just drop it in.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Look none of that will actually destroy the PC, it will just make it run slowly. If he went and put the cpu in incorretly and bent the pins, or he put the ram in the wrong way. Look it's a really basic guide, a bad one but it's basic, it's more like what we would've done in the old days.
I hear you but that's 30 grand worth of hardware. It's just so....inefficient. Like taking your Ferrari to a Total to get a wash.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I hear you but that's 30 grand worth of hardware. It's just so....inefficient. Like taking your Ferrari to a Total to get a wash.
Oh I know, I was cringing at the video and going but why, oh why. But a lot is nitpicky, I didn't notice that he'd perforated his radiator though.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
If you are building a PC for a friend, all of these things would be considered "nitpicking". Doing a video on how to build a PC on an active(ish) youtube channel and calling it a tutorial and then making these mistakes, is a fail
2.1 millions subscribers...woah.

I noticed comments are disabled - I assume the vid got flamed in the comments section.

R4ziel

2.1 millions subscribers...woah.

I noticed comments are disabled - I assume the vid got flamed in the comments section.
Yeah I think they got caned for all of these things, disabling the comments was a butthurt reaction

If I check on Linus Tech tips comments for their videos, there are a lot of people who think they know everything, even though they are wrong, so it would be easy for those idiots to shout loudly about this video

ponder

Honorary Master
Just noticed the PSU fan is facing into the case...so he's exhausting air from cooling the PSU into the case. That's not great.
PSU fans are intake fans not exhaust fans, they take air in and exhaust the warm air out the back where the power cable & switch is located.

Ideally you want to isolate the psu so draw cool air in from outside and exhaust out the back. Taking in warmer air from inside the case and exhausting out the back is not an issue either. My psu takes in warmer case air to exhaust out the back as it helps lowering temps inside my case.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
It is a production; the manager is the one who should be held accountable FOR THE ILL-ADVICE. Lastly, The Verge is a publication, this must have been approved by the respective editor.

Fail on The Verge in general.

Watching the video, it is nitpicking, some advice is sound, others are irresponsible.