Watch: The Verge Fail At PC Building

Neoprod

Honorary Master
PSU fans are intake fans not exhaust fans, they take air in and exhaust the warm air out the back where the power cable & switch is located.

Ideally you want to isolate the psu so draw cool air in from outside and exhaust out the back. Taking in warmer air from inside the case and exhausting out the back is not an issue either. My psu takes in warmer case air to exhaust out the back as it helps lowering temps inside my case.
Yeah, I always forget that...I just stick to mounting them fan down :p

crysis

Expert Member
Ideally you want your PSU to come into contact with the case as this is your ground. Without grounding a metal case you can seriously harm yourself or someone else if they touch it and there is actually a short circuit somewhere. So that guy is smoking some crack. And don't **** with the grounding of electronics.

Moi

At least I know I've been doing it right all these years.

ponder

Honorary Master
Ideally you want your PSU to come into contact with the case as this is your ground. Without grounding a metal case you can seriously harm yourself or someone else if they touch it and there is actually a short circuit somewhere. So that guy is smoking some crack. And don't **** with the grounding of electronics.
If it's painted it doesn't really matter. I built a 'silent' pc yonks ago and the psu had a silcone rim to isolated it from the case in order to minimise vibrasions & resonance. The contact was via the psu screws which made contact with the case and the threaded receivers on the PSU so the case was still grounded via the psu ;)

Polymathic

Honorary Master
First they tried to mute us. Disabled comments and the ability to like or dislike - when people took to the rest of YouTube and social media they eventually buckled.

So The Verge only has zero tolerance when blatantly exposed.
That's the state of journalistic integrity these days

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Applying thermal paste like its whipped cream,and then slapping that onto the thermal pad that comes preloaded on the aio cooler is a risky bit

Though if you look up reaction videos to this,some gents list out quite a few issues,60something - from nitpick to misinformation to risky at best

Solarion

Honorary Master
Insulating pads so the power supply doesn't short circuit and come into contact with the rest of the system
No PC expert here, but doesn't the power supply form part of your AC earthing? Thus by plugging it into your peripherals it is already earthed to well, pretty much the entire machine? :crying:

Man-of-Steel-ZA

This is what happens when you lie on your CV and the company puts you to work without any training.

ponder

Honorary Master
Agreed now Kyle and Paul will suffer due to this crap
No, youtube found in favour of Kyle, his video is back up. They (Verge) also claimed racism but Kyle is of Asian heritage, go figure...

I've had two copyright strikes against my videos, I claimed fair usage, youtube agreed and reinstated my videos.

genetic

Honorary Master
No, youtube found in favour of Kyle, his video is back up. They (Verge) also claimed racism but Kyle is of Asian heritage, go figure...

I've had two copyright strikes against my videos, I claimed fair usage, youtube agreed and reinstated my videos.
The Verge is incorrectly using the DMCA claim to remove their videos, and should be held accountable for abusing the system.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master

Fuk, I LoLLed....