WATCH: Victim robbed on N4 after ‘withdrawing cash’

Oldfut

Large construction sites usually hire unskilled labour from close to construction sites because it's cheaper. They don't have to provide housing for them. Because they're unskilled, they don't have to bear the cost of moving them around with them.

So naturally, they'll recruit at a local recruitment office or ask a contact person for assistance.

Off topic I know but many "government" contracts require that local labour and BEE subcontracts up to certain percentages be used by the main contractor; 30% is typical for subcontractors. The medium sized contractors never pay cash, they have to have a bank account number; and it is a record keeping requirement that all labour (and subcontractors) have tax reference numbers. BUT, for the subcontractors anything goes. We have a case now where the local labour wants to be paid directly by the main contractor as the Level 1 BEE subcontractor is not paying them. Not possible unfortunately (for them).

Kiemo

Expert Member
Some of these people are illiterate and have never used an atm before.
More reason to educate your workers on how to use an ATM or get a bank in your location or even get yourself an ATM as a side business stupid that’s it ...

TheChamp

Honorary Master
More reason to educate your workers on how to use an ATM or get a bank in your location or even get yourself an ATM as a side business stupid that’s it ...
Some shops tried the mini ATM thing where you could go there and get limited amounts of cash, it was a win win because it meant the shop owner does not have to sit with cash, but most shop owners were reluctant since some are superstitious and like their cash and those who had the mini ATMs were suddenly targets because criminals somehow thought they had lots of money.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
R450k in R100 notes is 4500 notes. At 1mm a note, its 4.5m high pile of money.

Hard to hide.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
even if it's 0.3mm , then its a 1.5m pile of money. not evrey note is smooth and flat.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I blame the banks , they force people who want to withdraw large amounts of cash to give at least 24-48 hours notice. this gives criminals working in the bank a heads up so they know who to target.
But if the bank has made so many options available for people why should it be their fault when people insist on massive amounts of cash? And how can they do this without planning, they serve plenty of customers a day and dealing with cash is a chore.

diesel

Expert Member
But if the bank has made so many options available for people why should it be their fault when people insist on massive amounts of cash? And how can they do this without planning, they serve plenty of customers a day and dealing with cash is a chore.
There are loads of people that rely on cash to do business, the banks want notice so they ensure they have the cash available but this leaves open doors for criminals to capitalize on.

Banks should do more to ensure their employees are trustworthy , albeit regular polygraphs or some type of security screening.

airborne

Honorary Master
Ah, didn't read the tread fully:

Read more here:
Ah ok, I did see him mentioning something along those lines but I thought he was referring to a similar situation not the actual people in the op.

That I'm assuming means they need to do the 450k cash withdrawal on a weekly basis

Last edited:

ForceFate

Honorary Master
R450k in R100 notes is 4500 notes. At 1mm a note, its 4.5m high pile of money.

Hard to hide.
1) Notes aren't that thick
2) It will reach that height if you stack bundles directly on top of each other. Perhaps if you go in a group (let's say 4) and have dummy bags filled with paper clippings?

R13...

Honorary Master
2) It will reach that height if you stack bundles directly on top of each other. Perhaps if you go in a group (let's say 4) and have dummy bags filled with paper clippings?
Lol that's a good idea. You'd have to stuff the dummy before going to the bank and ensure they're identical as the criminals seem to know where the money is kept.

I see the N1N around Woodmead closed after another gang tried to rob a car but police had Intel and two of the crims are dead with two arrested. 6 unfortunately got away.

Sollie

Honorary Master
Some shops tried the mini ATM thing where you could go there and get limited amounts of cash, it was a win win because it meant the shop owner does not have to sit with cash, but most shop owners were reluctant since some are superstitious and like their cash and those who had the mini ATMs were suddenly targets because criminals somehow thought they had lots of money.
The old Teba Bank, now uBank, also created something like that, but more for the miners. It only had so much traction.

Sollie

Honorary Master
1 bag with cash, 1 with wasps, 1 with snakes, 1 with my neighbors Chihuahua