WATCH: Violent mugging outside Johannesburg High Court caught on CCTV

cavedog

Honorary Master
Officers will be deployed at the Small Street Mall in Johannesburg on a daily basis following a violent mugging in broad daylight on Tuesday.

"Due to the incident yesterday, because of the mugging, more than 20 officers will be deployed into the Small Street Mall on a daily basis from today, as well as undercover members," JMPD spokesperson Wayne Minnaar told News24 on Wednesday.

The robbery happened next to the South Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg.

In a video which has been making the rounds on social media, a group of men are seen approaching the victim.

They are then involved in a scuffle and one of the perpetrators robs him of his backpack.

The mugged man then seemingly passes out for a few seconds, and the attackers lay him on the floor and search his pockets.

The victim then regains consciousness and attempts to fight them off.

The men are seen walking away. The victim then gestures for assistance, while people walk past.

Johannesburg Central police spokesperson Captain Xoli Mbele said they would also be deploying 20 undercover community patrollers in the area.

"They won't be wearing any uniform and, should such an event happen again, they will be able to arrest the perpetrators."

"This doesn't sit well with us. We want people to be our eyes and ears in the fight against crime," Mbele said.

Meanwhile, advocate Modise Khoza said he was frightened after he saw the video. He confirmed that some of his colleagues had been mugged on that street.

"It frightens me. Safety should not be experienced only in Sandton, but also here in town. I am even afraid to walk to court alone," he said.

Advocate Ahmed Cajee, who works at the nearby Pitje Chambers, said his firm had been trying to engage with City officials for a few years about improving visibility and making the area safer.

He welcomed the news from the JMPD that security would be increased.

[video=youtube;KVTeBqrKy1E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVTeBqrKy1E[/video]

cavedog

Honorary Master
Not sure what is more shocking. The mugging or the fact that people are just walking past as if nothing is happening or happened. Does not look like anyone is stressed or scared. No one reaches for a phone to call 10111.... :wtf:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
This also happens in Cape Town. They tend to target the non-vigilant, but don’t dare to be resistant without properly knowing your surroundings… you may get mobbed. #JustSaying .

thechamp

Honorary Master
Plenty incidents like this happening in the city centre, plenty videos as well, I am glad the authorities are finally doing something but what worries me is the deploying of Police in Small street, surely a much better and broader strategy is needed? They know the thugs are going to move somewhere else?

ForceFate

Executive Member
Because he will get mugged.....Oops ...he did get mugged.
Anyone can get mugged. What's your point? I've never been mugged in Jozi but I was mugged twice in eMalahleni. Once attacked by 4 guys and left with a swollen eye, 2nd time it was at gunpoint (I wasn't hurt).

Last edited:

stroller

Anyone can get mugged. What's your point? I've never been mugged in Jozi but I was mugged twice in eMalahleni. Once attacked by 4 guys and left with a swollen eye, 2nd time it was at gunpoint (I wasn't hurt).
My point is purely the fact that a witou in a predominantly black area will be mugged.
Much more so than a black ou in a white area by witous.
That's my point. If you have another point of view, you are entitled to it. I'm not going to enter into a debate.
You have your view and I have mine.

Klaar gelag.

ForceFate

Executive Member
My point is purely the fact that a witou in a predominantly black area will be mugged.
Much more so than a black ou in a white area by witous.
That's my point. If you have another point of view, you are entitled to it. I'm not going to enter into a debate.
You have your view and I have mine.

Klaar gelag.
Because you know you're spewing garbage