WATCH: Violent mugging outside Johannesburg High Court caught on CCTV

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Hopefully this signals a start of better policing and crime preventionnin the CBD, since there seem to be some action from the authorities at last. I would like to see the EFF and the the DA giving this sort of thing some serious consideration as we know SAPS are useless, the JMPD should be owning that space and maybe SAPS will be ashamed enough and join later.
Those thugs will just move elsewhere. Police know what's going on yet they've done nothing over the years (except during the swc).

maumau

Honorary Master
Can't blame people for not intervening but at least they could have shouted and created a scene, not just walk past like nothing was happening.

skeptic_SA

Executive Member
Caught on what? CCTV you say. Bullsh it. That was recorded on a cell phone. The person who took the video strangely knew it was about to go down.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Hopefully this signals a start of better policing and crime preventionnin the CBD, since there seem to be some action from the authorities at last. I would like to see the EFF and the the DA giving this sort of thing some serious consideration as we know SAPS are useless, the JMPD should be owning that space and maybe SAPS will be ashamed enough and join later.
They should indeed.

Those thugs will just move elsewhere. Police know what's going on yet they've done nothing over the years (except during the swc).
Non-ANC local governments should really boost their crime fighting and force the criminals to ANC run municipalities.

rietrot

Honorary Master
It's not a black on white thing. Everyone can get mugged. What is really concerning is that the people are so used to it and care so little for their fellow men that they just walk on not even shocked. Probably only thinking to themselves, it has to happen thank goodness it wasn't me this time. It's a cultural problem. Also part of the reason we can't have nice things.

Craig

Honorary Master
It's not a black on white thing. Everyone can get mugged. What is really concerning is that the people are so used to it and care so little for their fellow men that they just walk on not even shocked. Probably only thinking to themselves, it has to happen thank goodness it wasn't me this time. It's a cultural problem. Also part of the reason we can't have nice things.
That is sad. But if we all start fighting these thugs things might change.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
They should indeed.

Non-ANC local governments should really boost their crime fighting and force the criminals to ANC run municipalities.
That doesn't solve the problems. What about kids, non-ANC voters, tourists, etc in those municipalities?

Jails were supposed to be as unbearable as possible. Anyone who kills/rapes/floods the streets with illicit drugs/severely injures/threatens life of another human being should forfeit the right to be treated as a human being. But that just me. I'm no politician.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
I can understand people not wanting to get involved during the mugging out of fear of what might happen to them but at least help the guy when they walked away...

I've been mugged by a group of 5 before and it's really not fun...
Especially when you try to fight back.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
That doesn't solve the problems. What about kids, non-ANC voters, tourists, etc in those municipalities?

Jails were supposed to be as unbearable as possible. Anyone who kills/rapes/floods the streets with illicit drugs/severely injures/threatens life of another human being should forfeit the right to be treated as a human being. But that just me. I'm no politician.
That sounds counter revolutionary and unwoke. Welcome to the realist side.

R13...

Honorary Master
There are supposed to be monitored CCTV cameras all along Smal street (if it still called that) and just up the road there is or used to be a satellite police station next to the old abandoned hotel with the blue façade. But I've seen some other white guy get mugged right next to that police station and no hue and cry got raised and the police didn't show up even then.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Caught on what? CCTV you say. Bullsh it. That was recorded on a cell phone. The person who took the video strangely knew it was about to go down.
Beauty of living in the rougher parts of Jozi is that you inadvertently learn these things. You can spot a thug from a distance. Thugs prey on the uninformed most of the time.

My sister was mugged in Braamfontein. It looks like the thugs became aware there was a tablet in her backpack (she used it inside one of the shops). They snatched the backpack and went straight for the tablet. During the scuffle, they almost broke her finger.

The mugger jumped into a waiting car and the car sped off. While this was happening, there were people walking around them, not doing anything to assist.

thechamp

Honorary Master
There are supposed to be monitored CCTV cameras all along Smal street (if it still called that) and just up the road there is or used to be a satellite police station next to the old abandoned hotel with the blue façade. But I've seen some other white guy get mugged right next to that police station and no hue and cry got raised and the police didn't show up even then.
There is a tender out for CCTV surveillance if I remember correctly, maybe something will eventually happen under the DA and Mashaba.