WATCH: Woman screams as JMPD officers restrain her for blood alcohol test - but City of Joburg insists its 'legal'

jack_spratt

Expert Member
The Johannesburg Metro Police Department (JPMD) is legally allowed to physically restrain a person who refuses to provide a blood sample for law enforcement purposes, the City's member of the mayoral committee for safety, Michael Sun, said on Monday.
This after a video emerged purportedly showing a woman screaming inside an office with some people in uniform around her. Social media comments said she was being held down so that a blood sample could be taken, with some criticising the way the test was done.
Link

Reactions: DCS

MEIOT

Expert Member
Law has to take it's course - no mention (unless I glanced over it) where the woman was apprehended and if she was driving at the time - which is likely the case considering it's the JMPD.

But if the creature was indeed drinking and driving - if being held down for a blood sample is what's needed - then so be it.

Endangering other lives by drinking and driving is no joke.

daveza

Honorary Master
In two minds about this.

Samples are meant to be taken in a private clinical area, looks like this was done in a lobby with anyone hanging about.

And can you permit a medical procedure without consent ?

Maybe just tell them you're a hemophiliac.

Reactions: ES1

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
In two minds about this.

Samples are meant to be taken in a private clinical area, looks like this was done in a lobby with anyone hanging about.

And can you permit a medical procedure without consent ?

Maybe just tell them you're a hemophiliac.
Looks like a portahome or something. Those makeshift thingies at roadblocks.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Apparently the reason she refused was the needle wasn't opened in her view and she wasn't sure if it's a used needle or not. That is the reason for the screaming and refusal.
:unsure:
There have been times where I was so plastered you could've opened the Olympic games in front of me and I would've been none the wiser

Pitbull

Verboten
:unsure:
There have been times where I was so plastered you could've opened the Olympic games in front of me and I would've been none the wiser
You would not be making such a scene then. I don't disagree with the blood being forcibly drawn. But I will have an issue if they can't take the necessary steps to set me at ease about the procedure.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Also saw on FB and appart from needle not being opened in front of her the person with the needle wasn't wearing gloves.
I think she has a strong case of assault and the law not being followed.
Who is to say the person extracting the blood is qualified as well.
Awaiting the third version

xrapidx

Honorary Master
The facebook post with the original video said she had one drink, and wasn't breathalyzed at all.

Cray

Honorary Master
Apparently the reason she refused was the needle wasn't opened in her view and she wasn't sure if it's a used needle or not. That is the reason for the screaming and refusal.
Quite possible - if someone tried to stick me with an unsealed needled I also would throw my toys... Alternatively it's something her lawyer told her to say.....

If she is truly concerned about the needle not being sealed I wonder if she has got her Doctor to put her on anti-retrovirals?

Trilkop

As much as I do not like the JMPD, they are well within their rights here. If you are arrested for being suspected of driving under the influence, you cannot refuse having blood taken. The authorities have all the right to make use of reasonable force in ensuring the blood is taken. There are time limits involved and therefore, there is no time to play games.

If she was concerned about a used/open needle, that has no material effect on the case. She has one advantage though, if it was a used needle and she gets some disease, she has a very good civil claim.

Pitbull

Verboten
Quite possible - if someone tried to stick me with an unsealed needled I also would throw my toys... Quite possibly it's her lawyer told her to say.....

If she is truly concerned about the needle not being sealed I wonder if she has got her Doctor to put her on anti-retrovirals?
That is apparently one of her claims from the JMPD. She demands they pay for her ARVs

MEIOT

Expert Member
You would not be making such a scene then. I don't disagree with the blood being forcibly drawn. But I will have an issue if they can't take the necessary steps to set me at ease about the procedure.
Nope - I would - and have - against JMPD too funny enough.
I'm a blackout aggro drunk admittedly. Perhaps she is too :laugh:

I see your point though - if indeed true that she was uncomfortable with not witnessing a new needle being used - she must have maintained some touch with reality while drunk.