WATCH: Woman screams as JMPD officers restrain her for blood alcohol test - but City of Joburg insists its 'legal'

Craig

Honorary Master
I would see 'excessive' more in the line of a police officer kicking or hitting the woman and then pinning her down standing with his foot pushed down on her neck, that while another officer stands on both her legs and a third officer standing on her arm pinning it down. Although actions like this may be required at times, even this, in my view in not necessarily excessive. In this case, just holding her down without assaulting her, is not excessive at all. In fact, that is what the normal person would expect to happen.
It concerns me when you are the one in a thread making sense. It's people and lawyers excusing scum like this that makes their behaviour worse.

konfab

Honorary Master
I stopped donating blood years ago as the new intakes tried to turn me into a pincushion...
I don't really find that, the vast majority of the time they are able to find a vein pretty easily.

jack_spratt

Expert Member
Worse risked infected this person with something incurable.

I'm all for this woman getting that blood test, but she has a right to dignity and respect. If she was concerned about the needle then open one in front of her and ffs use gloves.
Yes, the law agrees that she is allowed to contact her Doctor so he/she can be present.

Alchohol in blood tests are accurate for up to 12 hours , there was no need to rush the procedure.

Those cops definitely flouted procedure and do not know the law. Its a training issue.

isie

Honorary Master
So basically trying yo put this whole story in perspective:

- Lady is stopped and breathalyzed - which she allegedly failed. Even if no Breathalyzer was used police have suspicion of drunk driving they should request blood sample be taken.
- breathalyzers are notoriously unreliable hence bloods must be taken (there are no ifs and or buts on this point) to prove her innocence or guilt.
- She is taken to police station for blood to be taken.
-She resists and had to be forcibly restrained ,which is what the police are allowed to do - the level of which can be debated.
- we from the video cannot see if she asked for a doctor or to be taken anywhere else so any arguments on what she can do or should do are kind of Moot. All it seems is as if she is creaming blue murder not to have her blood taken - which guilty or not really makes her seem guilty.
-He attitude screams of either guilt, being drunk or a mental disorder.
-This screaming plays on our emotions and makes her being restrained seem harsher then it probably is.
- the claim the needle was not opened in front of her is just that a claim as we this was not in the video so we cannot ascertain if this is the reason for her refusal.
- the person (we assume is a Nurse or doctor) taking the blood does not have gloves - which is not hygienic for anyone there.
- police are not properly trained or lack ineptitude to deal with situations like this

Last edited:

jack_spratt

Expert Member
- the person (we assume is a Nurse or doctor) taking the blood does not have gloves - which is not hygienic for anyone there.
- police are not properly trained or lack ineptitude to deal with situations like this
The above two points are the most pertinent. We dont live in a police state anymore.....

isie

Honorary Master
Yes, the law agrees that she is allowed to contact her Doctor so he/she can be present.

Alchohol in blood tests are accurate for up to 12 hours , there was no need to rush the procedure.

Those cops definitely flouted procedure and do not know the law. Its a training issue.
Did she request one?
The sample needs to be taken within 2 hours otherwise its not accurate, yes it can be detected up to 12 hours but the BA concentration by then will be much less as majority would have metabolized by then.

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
-This screaming plays on our emotions and makes her begin restrained seem harsher then it probably is.
It certainly played on my emotions.
I opened the video, was subjected to hysterical caterwauling for enough seconds to set my flesh crawling, closed the video and came to the conclusion that she's an irritating prat.

isie

Honorary Master
The above two points are the most pertinent. We dont live in a police state anymore.....
unfortunately chances are due to this even if she is guilty she might get away with it.

They should make it mandatory that police wear body cams - keep them in line and help them and in cases of he/said she said / and 1/2 videos.

Pitbull

Verboten
It concerns me when you are the one in a thread making sense. It's people and lawyers excusing scum like this that makes their behaviour worse.
So guilty till proven otherwise?

Great time to life in...

Craig

Honorary Master
Maybe read your post again, in context of this event
In context of this thread the pigs had reason to believe she was drunk. Instead of taking a bribe they arrested her she should have complied. Now she is in a world of ****.

Pitbull

Verboten
Instead of taking a bribe they arrested her she should have complied. Now she is in a world of ****.
So no facts, just agree with the Cops being right even though we have pointed out numerous flaws.

Ok then... Obviously "innocent" till proven guilty

Craig

Honorary Master
So no facts, just agree with the Cops being right even though we have pointed out numerous flaws.

Ok then... Obviously "innocent" till proven guilty
Read the post right before yours.

Pitbull

Verboten
She (the woman) claims that there was no way to know if the needle is new or not. That itself will make me bust all them cops up if it was me. No one sticking no used needle in my arm. Maybe her and I value our health more than you guys do.

Reactions: Swa