WATCH: Woman screams as JMPD officers restrain her for blood alcohol test - but City of Joburg insists its 'legal'

isie

Honorary Master
And how do we know this was adhered to? We don't. And based on the person drawing the blood I don't expect it was.

You continue missing the point. There are clear guidelines and laws describing how it should be done. That is the issue. You can set up a van under the correct protocols sure under controlled conditions. But you can't just draw blood under any circumstances. That is the part you keep on missing. So I don't believe the person claiming they've just done it by the side of the road in a car as the conditions are completely uncontrolled.

Same in this case where it's a regular police station with people eating and drinking.
and you have no point
If the guidelines are so clear , please post them?

John Tempus

Expert Member
I don't know why I'm even bothering. /sigh
Based on the video if they actually were drawing blood in that setting it in itself is not according to regulations.

Drawing blood needs to be done in a clean room and that room with near taxi load of cops and whoever else is so far from a clean room I would also be screaming bloody murder with the first thought of getting infected by 100 different african diseases (this is not fictional, there is cases of TB and other STD's picked up post blood draw under dirty conditions like this)

Swa

Honorary Master
Based on the video if they actually were drawing blood in that setting it in itself is not according to regulations.

Drawing blood needs to be done in a clean room and that room with near taxi load of cops and whoever else is so far from a clean room I would also be screaming bloody murder with the first thought of getting infected by 100 different african diseases (this is not fictional, there is cases of TB and other STD's picked up post blood draw under dirty conditions like this)
That's the point. But some people here think it can be done in any setting as long as the needle is not contaminated by the person handling it. The CPA is also not something that gives all the answers in a single sentence.

falcon786

Executive Member
Actually the law says the opposite.
First they take a breathelyzer and if you fail that then you will have blood taken.
You do not have a choice.
And if you are drunk and driving endangering me and other law abiding drivers then they should do it and if found guilty you should forfeit your car to the sate
Dammit,I agree with marine1!:eek:

What gives you the right to endanger my life my families/friends life and other road users lives by driving drunk @Rouxenator???!!

Video or no video,if guilty this witch should be locked up and keys thrown away....evil little thing.:mad:

RedViking

Nord of the South
Dammit,I agree with marine1!:eek:

What gives you the right to endanger my life my families/friends life and other road users lives by driving drunk @Rouxenator???!!

Video or no video,if guilty this witch should be locked up and keys thrown away....evil little thing.:mad:
We prefer if @Rouxenator is drunk. He is a much safer then and can think straight. :p

Reactions: STS

jack_spratt

Expert Member
No - of course, you wouldn't. You see racism toward you around every turn. That attitude sort of taints your view on absolutely every topic worth debating IMO
No, in this unique instance, I believe that the JMPD officers were motivated by racism.

Craig

Honorary Master
The first response to that tweet is the real reason why many (mybb) are defending the jmpd's actions.
Only racists like you and some others care about her skin colour, most couldn't care if she was purple or blue. I despise drunk drivers regardless of their skin colour. They place the lives of innocent road users at risk by driving in that state.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I dont believe that.
You don't believe she may have been drunk?. Why not just submit to the breathalyser test and be on her way? How did it escalate to the point where she had to be restrained? If there's reasonable suspicion, they test.

isie

Honorary Master

That's the point. But some people here think it can be done in any setting as long as the needle is not contaminated by the person handling it. The CPA is also not something that gives all the answers in a single sentence.
The statement you two idiots are making is not any where in in the CPA, it only states who should do it Medical professionals etc) and it is very clearly stipulated not once does it state where it must be done.
It can be done on the side of the road or a police station

BTW this isn't my opinion its confirmed by the justice project - feel free to call old Howard

(a) Any medical officer of any prison or any district surgeon or, if requested thereto by any police
official, any registered medical practitioner or registered nurse may take such steps, including
the taking of a blood sample, as may be deemed necessary in order to ascertain whether the
body of any person referred to in paragraph (a) (i) or (ii) of subsection (1)1 has any mark,
characteristic or distinguishing feature or shows any condition or appearance.
(b) If any registered medical practitioner attached to any hospital is on reasonable grounds of
the opinion that the contents of the blood of any person admitted to such hospital for medical
attention or treatment may be relevant at any later criminal proceedings, such medical
practitioner may take a blood sample of such person or cause such sample to be taken

You don't believe she may have been drunk?. Why not just submit to the breathalyser test and be on her way? How did it escalate to the point where she had to be restrained? If there's reasonable suspicion, they test.
From the police's statements she did take a breathalyzer and it was positive for alcohol - hence they needed to take the blood sample.

Last edited:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
You are forgetting one thing, this is South Africa where even convicted prisoners have more rights that most citizen. Not only should she take them court for vast amounts of money, she should become an icon for those standing up against police brutality and invasive medical procedures.

isie

Honorary Master
You are forgetting one thing, this is South Africa where even convicted prisoners have more rights that most citizen. Not only should she take them court for vast amounts of money, she should become an icon for those standing up against police brutality and invasive medical procedures.
Sadly this is what will probably happen and everyone will just forget the fact that she was driving while intoxicated.

oh sorry allegedly intoxicated.