WATCH: Woman screams as JMPD officers restrain her for blood alcohol test - but City of Joburg insists its 'legal'

Swa

Honorary Master
if she was assaulted, why isn't she pressing charges or launching a claim against them?

should a woman always be treated differently when breaking the law?
Why aren't they pressing charges? I can almost guarantee they won't because they know she can counter sue and press charges so nothing will come of this case. They've given her ammunition to get off if she was guilty. And yes, women should be treated differently. It's in the law.

And I am 100% sure that if you took your tick sheet along you would also find something wrong even when such methods are applied.
Maybe because police first of all shouldn't be applying them.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
The woman was uncooperative, drunk and refusing to cooperate for a long period of time. The officers are entitled to use force. Stop defending bad behaviour.
The police were not respectful of the fact that they were restraining a woman and were touching her body inappropriately. Stop defending bad behaviour.

Swa

Honorary Master
The woman was uncooperative, drunk and refusing to cooperate for a long period of time. The officers are entitled to use force. Stop defending bad behaviour.
Show me where they're entitled to use force. I keep asking but NONE of you can do so so please put up or shut up. The correct procedure would have been to charge her with obstruction of justice but it's questionable if it would have stuck as they were male and not female as the law requires.

Stop defending the bad behaviour of law enforcement.

isie

Honorary Master
the cop is 'restraining' her with his body between her legs. You can see her knee come up beside his waist as she struggles. Are you all trying to tell me that with all the people in the room the ONLY way he could restrain her was to bend her backwards over the table and get between her legs to hold her down? Really that was the ONLY option? There was absolutely no other way to hold her arm out straight to draw blood?
honestly i don't know how you can see any of that , can barely see if she is on a chair or Bent over etc.
Not saying you talking Bs just saying I can't see what your referring,
Show me where they're entitled to use force. I keep asking but NONE of you can do so so please put up or shut up. The correct procedure would have been to charge her with obstruction of justice but it's questionable if it would have stuck as they were male and not female as the law requires.

Where does the law say they must be female officers?

Last edited:

Emjay

Executive Member

It has been posted earlier in this thread. You are very late to the party.

Swa

Honorary Master
honestly i don't know how you can see any of that , can barely see if she is on a chair or Bent over etc.

Where does the law say they must be female officers?
Was discussed earlier. A female suspect must be accompanied by a female officer.

It has been posted earlier in this thread. You are very late to the party.
It hasn't, why I keep asking for it.

isie

Honorary Master
Was discussed earlier. A female suspect must be accompanied by a female officer.

It hasn't, why I keep asking for it.
umm nope on both
only if they are searching her then a female officer needs to do it but for an arrest a female does not need to be accompanied by a female officer, not to mention you can only see what the camera is showing , there are many people in the room , we can only see the female nurse , there's a few people in the background at least one other women, so there might be another female police officer there, but if not still not nothing wrong.
and the regulations were mentioned numerous times, in here and the articles linked

The JMPD officer, in complying with relevant laws, in particular section 64F of the South African Police Services Act, section 36 of the Criminal Procedures Act, and section 65 of the National Road Traffic Act which stipulated that “No person shall refuse that a specimen of blood, or a specimen of breath, be taken of him or her”, had no other alternative but to use appropriate and minimal force to restraint the driver so the nursing sister could withdraw the blood sample.

Swa

Honorary Master
umm nope on both
only if they are searching her then a female officer needs to do it but for an arrest a female does not need to be accompanied by a female officer, not to mention you can only see what the camera is showing , there are many people in the room , we can only see the female nurse , there's a few people in the background at least one other women, so there might be another female police officer there, but if not still not nothing wrong.
and the regulations were mentioned numerous times, in here and the articles linked

The JMPD officer, in complying with relevant laws, in particular section 64F of the South African Police Services Act, section 36 of the Criminal Procedures Act, and section 65 of the National Road Traffic Act which stipulated that “No person shall refuse that a specimen of blood, or a specimen of breath, be taken of him or her”, had no other alternative but to use appropriate and minimal force to restraint the driver so the nursing sister could withdraw the blood sample.
Stop spewing BS to try and justify their bad behaviour. It wasn't a mere arrest but also drawing blood which is akin to doing a body search. It also doesn't matter that there was a fat female officer eating present as there were male officers. It should be in private with only a female officer.

Again nobody has shown yet that they were entitled to use force. The correct procedure would have been to charge her with obstruction of justice but hey, entitlement reigns supreme in SA!

Zoomzoom

Expert Member

So between 48 and 53 seconds you can see her right leg come up next to the officer's left side as he leans over her. At 58 seconds you can see he is bending forward from the waist over someone who is prostrate on the table beneath him. At the beginning of the video you can clearly see that there is a large table in the center of the room. Therefore she has been pushed down onto the table, the office is between her legs bending forwarding and using the weight of his upper body to hold her down.

If this was ok, why did the guy outside film it while his buddy says - record everything they do to her? They thought something wasn't right and they were there.

isie

Honorary Master
Stop spewing BS to try and justify their bad behaviour. It wasn't a mere arrest but also drawing blood which is akin to doing a body search. It also doesn't matter that there was a fat female officer eating present as there were male officers. It should be in private with only a female officer.

Again nobody has shown yet that they were entitled to use force. The correct procedure would have been to charge her with obstruction of justice but hey, entitlement reigns supreme in SA!
I agree with you they should have charged her with obstruction or defeating the ends of justice
but on the rest you the one spewing BS , The blood was not drawn by a male officer it was a female nurse and no its not akin to a body search, yes an officer cannot do it must be a registered nurse or doctor (and this woman is a nurse check the article were they cleared the cops of wrongdoing ) and again what law where they should be in private.

The forced bood thing has been discussed to death here already.

Please dont come with this bullshit where women cant be arrested my male officers. please god don't tell me you talking about that stupid hoax, there isn't any law that states women must only be arrested by or in the presence of a female officer, there is no law like that, immagine how many ladies can commit crime and say ooh you can't arrest me.

So between 48 and 53 seconds you can see her right leg come up next to the officer's left side as he leans over her. At 58 seconds you can see he is bending forward from the waist over someone who is prostrate on the table beneath him. At the beginning of the video you can clearly see that there is a large table in the center of the room. Therefore she has been pushed down onto the table, the office is between her legs bending forwarding and using the weight of his upper body to hold her down.

If this was ok, why did the guy outside film it while his buddy says - record everything they do to her? They thought something wasn't right and they were there.
I still see jack **** but seriously i'm not going to say you wrong the video is just too jumpy and blurry in the center for me to concentrate on anything background is easier on the eyes (it's a me issue so no argument).

The guys filming were her friends she called them they also tried to convince her to just give the sample after about an hour she started going hysterical that when the cops asked them to leave and they started filming.

Okay finally see the knee lift thing , but i don't see it as anything but her being hysterical while he is holding her down.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
blah blah blah
Stop with this crap. You know I'm not talking about the nurse or a male officer doing an arrest but a male officer being present during a public body search (yes drawing blood is a body search). Both of which are violations. Stop being deliberately disingenuous.

Bundu

Expert Member
Why aren't they pressing charges? I can almost guarantee they won't because they know she can counter sue and press charges so nothing will come of this case. They've given her ammunition to get off if she was guilty. And yes, women should be treated differently. It's in the law.

Maybe because police first of all shouldn't be applying them.
NO MAN! WHY ISN'T SHE PRESSING CHARGES?

isie

Honorary Master
Stop with this crap. You know I'm not talking about the nurse or a male officer doing an arrest but a male officer being present during a public body search (yes drawing blood is a body search). Both of which are violations. Stop being deliberately disingenuous.
A body search is not the same as a blood sample , and even if it was You seem to ignore the fact that they have been cleared of any wrongdoing ?

Only violation I saw was drunk driving , I guess that's AOK in your book?

Swa

Honorary Master
NO MAN! WHY ISN'T SHE PRESSING CHARGES?
I just explained why. While they're not pressing charges she has leverage. Once she presses charges she no longer has that and they might as well charge her.

We'll see. If nothing happens we know they made a ballsup of it and probably had to let a guilty person off. If she still presses charges and nothing happens to her we know she was probably innocent.

Swa

Honorary Master
A body search is not the same as a blood sample , and even if it was You seem to ignore the fact that they have been cleared of any wrongdoing ?

Only violation I saw was drunk driving , I guess that's AOK in your book?
A blood sample IS a body search. Collecting evidence from off the person. Even more so as it's even more evasive. Were they cleared by a court? NO!

And ffs stop with that red herring. It's been beaten to death.

isie

Honorary Master
A blood sample IS a body search. Collecting evidence from off the person. Even more so as it's even more evasive. Were they cleared by a court? NO!

And ffs stop with that red herring. It's been beaten to death.
After an investigation They were cleared , if any one with any legal knowledge truly believes they are in the wrong why have they not had a case laid against them , if it's truly as you claim seems like they would be all over it.
And please provide the law where it states a blood sample cannot be take by force, because it can.

According to Sec 65(9) a person arrested for one of the drink-and-drive offences is not entitled to refuse permission for a blood specimen to be taken.

and provide the same law where you claim a female cannot be arrested by a male officer.
because this is all it states:
According to Section 37(2)(a) of the CPA, the people that are authorised to take blood specimens are “medical officers of a prison, district surgeons or, if requested to do so by a police official, a registered medical practitioner or a registered nurse”.

Notice it Does not specify Gender of accused or gender of authorised person

BTW - the justice project (Who i would trust over the police) would have had a field day with this one but:
It might not be illegal for a male police officer to restrain a female, says the chair of the Justice Project SA, Howard Dembovsky.

old Howard won't even say its illegal but you seem to claim it is

since you claim blood and search are the same

CRIMINAL PROCEDURE ACT 51 OF 1977
Search to be conducted in decent and orderly manner

A search of any person or premises shall be conducted with strict regard to decency
and order, and a woman shall be searched by a woman only, and if no female police
official is available, the search shall be made by any woman designated for the
purpose by a police official.

there they designated the female nurse to search the blood
case closed

Last edited:

isie

Honorary Master
I just explained why. While they're not pressing charges she has leverage. Once she presses charges she no longer has that and they might as well charge her.

We'll see. If nothing happens we know they made a ballsup of it and probably had to let a guilty person off. If she still presses charges and nothing happens to her we know she was probably innocent.
according to you even if she is guilty she can press charges - why doesn't she?