WATCH: Woman wards off hijackers with baby on her hip

SAguy

Expert Member
Then I think a lot of people are living under a false sense of security thinking their dogs will protect them against intruders.
There's a youtube channel that tests people's dogs, most dogs won't protect or attack.
Yes, make a hell of a noise from inside the gate - but once someone is right in front of them, most dogs won't do anything to attack.

And who wants a dog that is so highly strung that he needs to be ready to attack anyone who confronts him.
Have a dog as a pet, or have a dog as a watchdog... having one dog do both doesn't always work out the way you expect.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Then I think a lot of people are living under a false sense of security thinking their dogs will protect them against intruders.
Indeed. Dogs give early warning (by barking, if no one listens it's kind of pointless, just like unwatched CCTV) and since many crims are scared of them, especially the bigger they are (even myself), and thus they do have a deterrence value (the crim will rather go someplace without a dog).

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
100%... Most dogs won't...

I know my dogs wont protect my property against intruders, but god help anyone who physically threatens the family...

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
Those people are crazy to want to defend the yard. Give them the cars. Its all on camera insurance will pay

Milano

Honorary Master
Everyone I know has a very convincing explanation why that could never happen to them. Well, convincing to themselves at least. Must have been awesome chops on such a balmy durban evening.

Sean008

Expert Member
Flight or fight / defend must’ve come into play here. Perhaps there were more kids in the house. That and perhaps wine fueled ! Fortunate not to have been hurt. Wish the purps were caught and burning red hot steel rods shoved up there anuses

travcaine

If it was me, I'd call the ADT patrol car on my radio and ask him to wait outside while my guests left. And my gate is automated, no beam, so it would have closed and stayed closed.
Even if your gate does not have beams, most motors have a fail safe that will stop if there is slight pressure against it. So they will just need to push against it and the gate will stop and open again.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Even if your gate does not have beams, most motors have a fail safe that will stop if there is slight pressure against it. So they will just need to push against it and the gate will stop and open again.
Slight pressure is not enough, pretty decent pressure required, so they have to contend with that, and the security officer...

Solarion

Honorary Master
Scenes like that I wish someone on a balcony had a gun and just shot those f*****.
Preferably one of these mounted on the balcony.

Forensics will be picking up pieces of spine and brain fragements for days.

epah

Expert Member
Sad they had to experience this but their reactions were just dumb and they could have gotten themselves killed. Not to mention the poor child. Bad call by the mother

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
That mom deserves the mom of the year award, she was fast on her feet and when she had to close it a second time she stayed out of the way, and still managed to close the gate.

I wonder if your going to have to carry a gun to you gate every time you let some one out.
You, according to the proposed new gun laws will either not have a gun or be allowed to use it for self defence.

This based on government and senior SAPS statements.