Water crisis in South Africa

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Well this was always bound to happen & anyone somewhat awake could see this when the electricity crisis hit. Its the same "stay quiet until its too late" strategy that worked so well Eskom side.

South Africa’s dam building programme is a decade behind schedule.
I was under the impression that all the good spots for dams have been used already? Or was that just spots for pumped storage?

Our water in the WC comes from local rainfall - not national.

Our local water infrastructure upkeep is also the responsibility of the local provincial or city governments - not national.
WC is certainly doing better than the rest as you're fond of reminding us but this issue is a little bigger than that. WC provincial gov gets its money from the same pot as everyone else.

Dept of water works reckons its got a 600 billion rand funding gap. Catching up on that is going to be rough no matter how you spin it.

Ryansr

Expert Member
So how do you explain the water crisis crisis in the Western Cape then?

Yes it's fun to blame the ANC for everything, but sometimes nature plays a part too.

Thank you, but I am not going to try and defend my comment. Guess we'll never really know what is the real truth on the matter. :)

supersunbird

Honorary Master
How many municipalities in WC had undrinkable water or "watershedding" before the current drought?

genetic

Honorary Master
Well this was always bound to happen & anyone somewhat awake could see this when the electricity crisis hit. Its the same "stay quiet until its too late" strategy that worked so well Eskom side.

I was under the impression that all the good spots for dams have been used already? Or was that just spots for pumped storage?

WC is certainly doing better than the rest as you're fond of reminding us but this issue is a little bigger than that.

No it's not. The CoCT is at level three water restrictions already.

Water, unlike electricity is not stored in a coal supply mined from the ground.

A drought is a drought, regardless of government.

genetic

Honorary Master
"Planning for the Berg river dam began in 1989".

Yes it was commissioned under the ANC but by then the preliminary work had been done.
Point being? It proves that the ANC back then still approved the project in 1999, rubbishing the claim from Mephisto Helix that the then ANC government did nothing.

etwylite

I don't dispute that at all, but people have to realise that natural rainfall patterns play a roll too.

One would hope that governments can predict and plan, but even with good governance one can't prevent water restrictions.

I would think that waiting more than 5 years after (and still not started) for SANS 10400 XB water efficiency legislation in a water scarce country like RSA would be considered an indictment of national government indifference and inability to do the minimum necessary to safeguard its citizens.

We do waste water on the whole because it is undervalued.

genetic

Honorary Master
I would think that waiting more than 5 years after (and still not started) for SANS 10400 XB water efficiency legislation in a water scarce country like RSA would be considered an indictment of national government indifference and inability to do the minimum necessary to safeguard its citizens.

We do waste water on the whole because it is undervalued.
For sure, but is the ANC government solely to blame, or does the provincial government not take some responsibility too?

etwylite

For sure, but is the ANC government solely to blame, or does the provincial government not take some responsibility too?

agreed, its a shared responsibility. People do like to play the blame game though.

TooFastTim

Expert Member
Point being? It proves that the ANC back then still approved the project in 1999, rubbishing the claim from Mephisto Helix that the then ANC government did nothing.

They merely signed it into existence. They weren't far-sighted enough to anticipate the looming problem.

Granted, the current situation is far from the ANC's fault but they have exacerbated it by not maintaining infrastructure.

I also note that 1999 precedes Mbeki's odious policy of "cadre deployment". In other words the ANC were listening to people who had a clue.

Last edited:

genetic

Honorary Master
Granted, the current situation is far from the ANC's fault but they have exacerbated it by not maintaining infrastructure.

To blame the current water crisis on 6 years of complete ANC governance (in the WC) is pathetic - lack of rainfall is the biggest problem. Changing governments is not going to change weather conditions.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
To blame the current water crisis on 6 years of complete ANC governance (in the WC) is pathetic - lack of rainfall is the biggest problem. Changing governments is not going to change weather conditions.

The WC is not the only place with problems. Reservoirs in joburg are actually running dry on a daily basis.
And THAT is purely down to the ANC's incompetence.

TooFastTim

Expert Member

I agree.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
No it's not. The CoCT is at level three water restrictions already.

Water, unlike electricity is not stored in a coal supply mined from the ground.

A drought is a drought, regardless of government.
I wasn't talking about drought (nor is the article btw). That is temporary & will pass.

What won't pass is the moerse hole in SA's water infrastructure. 600 billion shortfall - to put that into context SA's entire budget per year for *everything* is just over 1000 billion.

genetic

Honorary Master
The WC is not the only place with problems. Reservoirs in joburg are actually running dry on a daily basis.
And THAT is purely down to the ANC's incompetence.
I completely agree with that.

Absinth

I heard some stats the other day, that there are about 30,000 known leaks in Gauteng

Not sure if this is true, but we will need to plug these holes.

cenredash

Expert Member
I heard some stats the other day, that there are about 30,000 known leaks in Gauteng

Not sure if this is true, but we will need to plug these holes.
I read something about Cape Town water supply where someone accused city of Cape Town council that they lose about 30 percent in leaks in supplying water from dams to customers.

I'm paraphrasing but their response was "isn't that great?" Referencing that that gives Cape Town some blue Dot status as best in the world. World water supply standards operate differently to how we think everything else does.

Mila

Honorary Master
The ancestors are angry.
As long as the people keep voting ANC and EFF they will die of thirst

// flame suit.
Well they blame the ancestors for accidents on the moloto road and the rain queen died of Aids....