Water crisis looms in South Africa if more dams aren't built

Swa

Honorary Master
With a R2500+ savings on water per month the borehole and equipment will pay itself off within 2 to 3 years.
How are people using this much? We use 7kl a month and get paid back 7kl free allocation. The payback isn't exactly the same but overall it costs almost nothing. An average household of 3 people shouldn't use more than 20kl being generous.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
With a R2500+ savings on water per month the borehole and equipment will pay itself off within 2 to 3 years.
How is your water bill so high? According to my latest bill 9kl costs me R175 per month.

What's your monthly usage?

Paul_S

Expert Member
How is your water bill so high? According to my latest bill 9kl costs me R175 per month.

What's your monthly usage?
Current usage is just under 20kl/month with 5 people in the house and a 70kl swimming pool which is quite frugal IMO.
I plan to add another 40 to 50kl per month for gardening (2000m2 property). The issue is that extra 50kl is on an inclining block tariff in Tshwane which really nails people once they go over about 20kl/month. At 60kl and above the water tariff is R41,01/kl and that excludes the sanitation charges. It's daylight robbery.
Using treated water for gardening is just silly anyway so I'll do the responsible thing.

Swa

Honorary Master
Current usage is just under 20kl/month with 5 people in the house and a 70kl swimming pool which is quite frugal IMO.
I plan to add another 40 to 50kl per month for gardening (2000m2 property). The issue is that extra 50kl is on an inclining block tariff in Tshwane which really nails people once they go over about 20kl/month. At 60kl and above the water tariff is R41,01/kl and that excludes the sanitation charges. It's daylight robbery.
Using treated water for gardening is just silly anyway so I'll do the responsible thing.
Not sure I understand. Is that 20kl just for the people? 40kl for gardening is quite excessive. Your lawn can go thirsty a bit.

Paul_S

Expert Member
Not sure I understand. Is that 20kl just for the people? 40kl for gardening is quite excessive. Your lawn can go thirsty a bit.

18kl for 5 people to be exact. That's 120 litres per person per day which is half of the South African average of about 250 litres per person per day. In fact it's lower than most parts of the world. The lowest average in RSA is Limpopo at 180 litres per person per day.

40kl of water per month spread over a 2000m2 area equates to just 5mm of water once per week. That's barely enough to keep grass roots alive.
I worked out that approximately 1.2 to 1.4 million litres of rain falls on my property during our rainy season most of which is absorbed into the ground (I have very little run off) and that replenishes ground water resources. I'd be using about 1/3rd that figure so it's sustainable.

There is enough water in Gauteng but most of it is mismanaged and wasted and there is zero capacity planning for the future.

I feel for the people who live in dry or drought areas. There's not much one can do about it. :(

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
I have a 50kl pool with 3 people in the house and we use 15 to 22kl a month depending,as sometimes there are 4 to 5 people overall. But this months is going to knock me as I had to refill the pool as I had the lining redone.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
18kl for 5 people to be exact. That's 120 litres per person per day which is half of the South African average of about 250 litres per person per day. In fact it's lower than most parts of the world. The lowest average in RSA is Limpopo at 180 litres per person per day.
Our daily average is currently 236.7l for a household of four or just under 60l per person per day.

It was a lot higher before we got rid of the top loader (110+ litres per load) and then eventually switched the new front loader to harvested rainwater).

As you can see, according to the municipality, we're nearly 40l over the daily limit.

E7i31a7X0AE7iU3.jpeg

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
We use around 120l pp per day. I can't believe the average is 250l. Most of SA don't even have proper water infrastructure and have to carry it home.

Reactions: air

Moosedrool

Executive Member
What I don't understand about articles like these is that this headline is a challenge every country faces. The expansion of infrastructure is not limited to a growing economy but a requirement for a growing population and sustaining serviceability.

You can rephrase this and it'll work in any country:

Water crisis looms if more dams aren't built.
Traffic crisis looms if more transportation infrastructure isn't built.
Power crisis looms if more energy isn't generated.
Sewage crisis looms if more sewage treatment plants aren't built.
Homeless crisis looms if more residential areas aren't built.

The most concerning part is that you have to tell our government this.

Swa

Honorary Master
The most concerning part is that you have to tell our government this.
This is the issue and why such headlines are needed.

ANC was warned over the power crises and didn't listen. We now have ageing infrastructure and load shedding.
They were warned over transportation and urbanisation. Now we have roads where you don't get through during peak if you don't "reserve" your spot.
They were warned over sewage. The sewage is spilling into the dams.
They were warned over water. People are sitting without water.
Homelessness has remained a problem while money for homes get stolen.

Reactions: air

air

Expert Member
They could not protect a warm cup of piss. Pure excellence, they and their ilk must be super chuffed.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Long-range climate models predict worse droughts for Southern Africa:

c6560c04a3e04b9088d2e09fe4a33772.jpg

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
No - it's imperative that they highlight Cape Town. The EC doesn't exist.

It didn't "avoid" anything - it rained.
It did rain in the end but what happened is that private dams were used to avoid hitting day zero.

Grant

Honorary Master
There was once sage advice / commentary from an Eastern Cape ANC official.

He blamed the apartheid govt for building dams that were too big to fill, hence a short supply of water for "the people".

His solution: build a whole lot of small dams that would fill a lot quicker.