• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Water loss claim woes

Buoyancy

I had a water leak on my main water supply, which incidentally drained straight in to the storm water drain. An analysis on daily water usage shows that the leak started in February, but was only discovered when I received my April invoice of R 40k+. The people at Ethekwini only sent out the actual meter readings for February and March on my April invoice received on 02 May. I had the leak repaired on 03 May and was assured by the municipality that I pay a water loss levy and shouldn't worry. Things escalated further when the council took a meter reading for April usage on 03 May, and invoiced me a further R 40k+. I was unaware of the leak, and had it repaired immediately, but because of their inefficiencies I found out 2 months too late. To add insult to injury, the timing of the second reading was at the same time as we had the leak fixed. I followed procedure and submitted a claim. Yesterday Westwood advised that they will be settling R 17l of my R 80k+ invoice! They referred me to New National who rejected my appeal on the following grounds:
1. The indemnity shall be limited to the actual cost of the loss of water during two leak periods, levied by the supply authority to the insured;
2. A metering period is the time interval between two successive billed meter readings but shall exclude previous leak periods
Now I am being penalised, because of council inefficiency I did not know about the previous leak periods.
A further problem is that Sewage Disposal is linked to water usage and this is not covered by the Water Loss Levy.
This council and its billing issues are frustrating! Guess I also need to approach the FAIS Ombud?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yup.... I'm on the verge of doing just that as well.... they still haven't fixed my r500k bill despite repeated promises that it would be done

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Well well well.... blow me down and colour me unsurprised.

Just received my latest bill from eThekwini, and its still not corrected. I'm going to give them 1 more week to correct my account, if not then I will be finding out with Ombuds I can get involved in this problem.

tRoN

Expert Member
I had a water leak on my main water supply, which incidentally drained straight in to the storm water drain. An analysis on daily water usage shows that the leak started in February, but was only discovered when I received my April invoice of R 40k+. The people at Ethekwini only sent out the actual meter readings for February and March on my April invoice received on 02 May. I had the leak repaired on 03 May and was assured by the municipality that I pay a water loss levy and shouldn't worry. Things escalated further when the council took a meter reading for April usage on 03 May, and invoiced me a further R 40k+. I was unaware of the leak, and had it repaired immediately, but because of their inefficiencies I found out 2 months too late. To add insult to injury, the timing of the second reading was at the same time as we had the leak fixed. I followed procedure and submitted a claim. Yesterday Westwood advised that they will be settling R 17l of my R 80k+ invoice! They referred me to New National who rejected my appeal on the following grounds:
1. The indemnity shall be limited to the actual cost of the loss of water during two leak periods, levied by the supply authority to the insured;
2. A metering period is the time interval between two successive billed meter readings but shall exclude previous leak periods
Now I am being penalised, because of council inefficiency I did not know about the previous leak periods.
A further problem is that Sewage Disposal is linked to water usage and this is not covered by the Water Loss Levy.
This council and its billing issues are frustrating! Guess I also need to approach the FAIS Ombud?
I share your pain and again my amount seems minuscule so I really feed bad for you.
These farkers seem to be using technicalities and loopholes to avoid paying out.
And Westwood insurance brokers and New national insurance are real arseholes.
Report them to ombud. I'm sure they have a long list of complaints.

tRoN

Expert Member
Hey guys. Great news!!!
Initially the insurer offered 50% of a claim to retract the claim and now OSTI writes to me to say insurer will pay back in full!!
Yay!!!

Buoyancy

Hey guys. Great news!!!
Initially the insurer offered 50% of a claim to retract the claim and now OSTI writes to me to say insurer will pay back in full!!
Yay!!!
Stoked you got sorted, it brings me hope... But still I wait

Cr419

Executive Member
Hey guys. Great news!!!
Yay!!!
I assume you already changed insurers in the meantime?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
And so my saga continues

They've reversed most of the bill, but now left me with a R28k bill but no indication of WHERE that value relates to...

So now I have to go through a year of bills and reconcile everything, and if its wrong these fsckers are getting billed for my time, and its going to cost them a pretty bloody penny.