Water meter issue

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum so forgive me for any shortcomings.
I've recently build a new house and for some reason my water bill have been quite high in the last few months. I've decided to check it out and closed all the taps in the house and closed the sprinkler system value, for some reason the water meter keeps ticking over slowly. It somethings stops for a few seconds and then continues to tick over.

As stated above the house is new and there isn't any leaking toilets or taps. I do have a heat pump system for water heating.

My house is on the highest part of the estate and I do also have low water pressure.

Is it possible for water to get back into the system if other houses below me increase there consumption causing the ticking over? Or do you think it might be a faulty meter?

Any ideas.

Thanks Billy, someone i was chatting to was talking about a non-return value and if i have one. To be honest i don't think i have one.
Any good referrals for leak detectors?

Billy

Expert Member
What you have done is exactly how one finds out about a leak. If you are not using water, then it is going somewhere, ie leaking.

If the house is new, can't you get the plumber that did the installation, it is actually his problem.

DanH

Expert Member
I highly doubt water can go back into the municipal system, there should be a meter and pressure regulator on the pavement. You can fit a non-return valve by the meter if it's bothering you. Valve and fittings will be under R100, but it will cause a further pressure drop. If water was to go back, your meter would run backwards too anyway.

Re83L

Expert Member
Yup, meter won't run up if water runs backwards I think.

I would do the following first
  • If the house is relatively new (less than 2-3 years), try and get the original plumber.
  • If that doesn't work, Google "Leak detection" and get a reputable company close to you. These guys use thermal cameras, tracing gas and acoustics to pinpoint your leaks. It ens up saving you a lot of money..

Polish

Immigrant
OP states the house was bought recently.

Is there not still warranty on building/ plumbing work ?

FNfal

Executive Member
Check for damp spots in your yard in the suspected route the water pipe feeds from the meter to the house , if you find one dig there .
Definitely sounds like a water leak.

I rent a house and flatlet out and charge out utility usage. I found that usage went up a lot over 2 months and did a lot of determining of costs of water and what the tenants should be using. Checked meter and found that the dial that turns if only a little water being used (like a trickle) was slowly moving even when everything was off. So opened drains and found a slow steady trickle in one drain that came from a toilet outlet. On looking at the toilet you could not see any water running but the cistern was leaking at the outlet into the toilet bowl. It is not visible as the leak runs down the back of the bowl how do I describe it - it slides into the water that is there - you can't even see a ripple. So checked by using toilet paper that back of bowl stayed dry after repair.
Consumption dropped from 33 to 35 KL a month to 19 to 22 a month. Any wasted water due to leaks have a knock on effect as sewerage is charged as a percent of water - usually about between 68 and 78 %. It is incredible how much water is lost by the hour from the slightest leak.... and over a month...

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Sigh. I just found out my water bill has suddenly increased to R2000.
Time to do a water audit, and get in a leak detection service.
Anyone know a decently priced service in the Midvaal area?

Pitbull

Verboten
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum so forgive me for any shortcomings.
I've recently build a new house and for some reason my water bill have been quite high in the last few months. I've decided to check it out and closed all the taps in the house and closed the sprinkler system value, for some reason the water meter keeps ticking over slowly. It somethings stops for a few seconds and then continues to tick over.

As stated above the house is new and there isn't any leaking toilets or taps. I do have a heat pump system for water heating.

My house is on the highest part of the estate and I do also have low water pressure.

Is it possible for water to get back into the system if other houses below me increase there consumption causing the ticking over? Or do you think it might be a faulty meter?

Any ideas.
You definitely have a leak. The meter works in the following way: It was little prop in the meter kinda like a fan. It can only turn of the water is running through it. So if all the taps are closed and you have no leaking toilets and the like, you have a leak as water is still being pushed through it. And the leak is at your side of the meter or else it would not tick over.

I also have a issue regarding the meter recently installed by the Body Cooperate where I am renting a flat. This meter is a Ultrasonic meter that is supposed to be foolproof and is apparently near perfect with accuracy. After receiving my first water bill after it was fitted R600+ I immediate queried the agents about how to test if this meter is accurate. I for instance noticed that it does not immediately register a flow after some of the flats taps are opened and it also does not immediately stops when the tap is closed off. Some of the other tenants here similar to my unit only get a bill halve of what I am paying. Worst is, we also collect our waste water like the washing machine and utilize it flushing the toilet. We fitted water saving shower heads etc. is there any one out there that can advise me please?The agents believe that the unit can not fail and want to charge me a call-out fee for getting someone to verify if the unit is ok..