Water Shortages in Johannesburg Suburbs

Sinbad

Honorary Master
You lot are becoming worse than end of day christians. The end of nigh! First morals, then electricity, now water! Next it shall be our farms and our wives :p

I don't mind complaining, we need water, but Zim 2.0? I give up taking anyone here seriously, you can only cry wolf so many times

It's a progressive decline. Your cry wolf analogy does not compute...

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
You lot are becoming worse than end of day christians. The end of nigh! First morals, then electricity, now water! Next it shall be our farms and our wives :p
I don't mind complaining, we need water, but Zim 2.0? I give up taking anyone here seriously, you can only cry wolf so many times

Sorry, where did anyone in this thread actually say anything about Zimbabwe? :confused:

DJ...

Banned
To be fair, this sounds like a typical problem and not the result of poor water infrastructure.

The TIA brigade were a little quick on the trigger this time around imo...

Sinbad

Honorary Master
To be fair, this sounds like a typical problem and not the result of poor water infrastructure.

The TIA brigade were a little quick on the trigger this time around imo...

Disagree. :p
Sounds like the entire reservoir emptied before they noticed a problem.

Cool E

Expert Member
Promptly? If it had been prompt, there would not have been shortages.
And I'm willing to bet that if there'd been maintenance, the fault would not have occurred in the first place...

Please don't forget, Joburg Water LOSES R800million worth of water each year. Is that the sign of a well maintained, awesome, non-broken system?

Jozi tsotsis stealing water ?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Doesn't mean Africa's falling apart...

Actually it does...

http://www.infrastructurene.ws/2013...ipes-in-major-municipalities-is-long-overdue/

"The majority of the old pipes were installed in the early 1960s and have undoubtedly reached the end of their effective life span. Unless urgent attention is given to the replacement and maintenance of the water infrastructure, the end result is predictable: bursts will start occurring on a daily basis, followed by catastrophic component failure and regular and prolonged disruptions in service delivery,” Venter warned.

DJ...

Banned
Taken in isolation, sure. But is it isolated?

It is inevitable with water infrastructure. When actual infrastructure begins to fail then I'll happily have a dig, but this really seems to be either a case of human error and/or an actual, legitimate problem. I'll tell you one things, I have fewer water disruptions now than I had ten years ago.

I know the backend infrastructure is failing though and a solution needs to be found, but it doesn't mean that this incident is in any way related, nor something to be alarmed about. IMO, especially no to be "TIA'd". This could happen literally anywhere in the world where water infrastructure exists...

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
What does that have to do with an electrical problem that affected the pumps? This really is just an ordinary incident. Nothing deeper to be sucked from thin air imo...

The electrical systems that keep the pumps functioning are part and parcel of the infrastructure.
We have been warned for years now about the impending end of life for this infrastructure.
Not much has been done about it.
It has already reached and surpassed crisis levels, if industry experts and the media are to be believed.
If this electrical system failed, then it is a maintenance issue, which means it is part of this entire infrastructure that we have been warned about.

Albereth

Honorary Master
I seem to remember someone on this forums saying that water will be the next to go after electricity...

I've said that losing electricity is nothing compared to losing water. No lights and it is a nuisance. No water and you're dead.

genetic

Honorary Master

From the same article.

Venter warns that the country’s infrastructure is under pressure and threatens to collapse if municipalities do not follow the example of the eThekwini municipality in Durban, which recently completed aUS$205 million (R1.88 billion) asbestos cement pipe replacement project, replacing 1 750 km of ageing asbestos cement water pipe with modified polyvinyl chloride (mPVC) and high-density polyethylene (HDPE) pipe.

The City of Cape Town and Johannesburg have undertaking projects to upgrade aging water infrastructure.

Yes, there are hundreds of municipalities that need dire attention, but to say that they are doing nothing to upgrade infrastructure is a lie.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
From the same article.
The City of Cape Town and Johannesburg have undertaking projects to upgrade aging water infrastructure.
Yes, there are hundreds of municipalities that need dire attention, but to say that they are doing nothing to upgrade infrastructure is a lie.

And yet Joburg is still having these kinds of problems? :rolleyes:

genetic

Honorary Master
And yet Joburg is still having these kinds of problems? :rolleyes:

Yes! until they completely upgrade the system, problems will arise. I do agree with you that a lot more needs to be done, otherwise we will have a crisis.

DJ...

Banned
The electrical systems that keep the pumps functioning are part and parcel of the infrastructure.
We have been warned for years now about the impending end of life for this infrastructure.
Not much has been done about it.
It has already reached and surpassed crisis levels, if industry experts and the media are to be believed.
If this electrical system failed, then it is a maintenance issue, which means it is part of this entire infrastructure that we have been warned about.

I see this sort of issue as being separate from infrastructure failings, until it becomes a systemic issue. The fault seems reasonable as far as I'm concerned...

Sinbad

Honorary Master
From the same article.

Well, in our area, there have been probably 10-15 pipe bursts in the last month.
Latest post from a resident:
Just walked down - The parking bays on Hillcrest next to Nando's are buckled up with the force of the burst main under them, and the Hillcrest/Conrad junction is awash! Something happened about 4:00 a.m.which caused some weird noises in our water system and woke me. I found then that the water was off, but couldn't get through to Joburg Connect. Reported the burst at 9:00 with ref 800 137 8711, and we've just phoned again (13:00) to escalate it to urgent, 'cos the whole street is dry.

It's becoming a crisis. We have a reservoir that is overflowing constantly, there's a river across a road in front of one of the schools that the pupils have to negotiate.

The neglect is showing.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
In any case I was affected by this... we had no water for a good 23 hours.
It happens, very seldom...

Compared to that sh*thole Wilgeheuwel I used to stay in... they would cut the water and electricity at the same time, and usually the same time each week!

b@nD

Banned
Things fall Apart !

Meh. Someone cocked up. Doesn't mean Africa's falling apart...
Actually it DOES
The same thing is happening all around the kunt-ry
Been without water [at certain times ] here for nearly a month

Municipality keep on saying that they are fixing the pipes
Problem is they fixing pipes ALL OVER the city and suburbs

NO-ONE can say when the water delivery will be back to normal ?

:twisted: :mad: