Waze now supports Apple CarPlay

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Waze now supports Apple CarPlay

The latest update for Waze adds support for CarPlay, according to the application’s App Store page.

This allows users who have updated to iOS 12 and are running the latest version of the navigation app to use Waze on the built-in screen in their vehicle.

Neuk_

Expert Member
I did a quick check in the basement parking where I park my car and will give it a proper try on the way home this evening...

I am sure my original issues with CarPlay haven’t been sorted out though.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
I did a quick check in the basement parking where I park my car and will give it a proper try on the way home this evening...

Nice Golf 7 or Tiguan Gen 2.

Duan

Speed and speed warning on mine is hidden behind the direction pane

Neuk_

Expert Member
Unfortunately, I was 100% correct, Apple Carplay in my MkVII Golf is still no where near as good as simply using Bluetooth and the standard MIBII radio interface. Using Waze on the large touch screen is really good although it not being at eye level is distracting but the biggest issues still remain, like the steering wheel controls and the phone and music menu in the dashboard cluster are rendered useless. I also discovered this morning that if I want to make a call to someone but still have Waze open to follow a route, I simply can't as when I try go back to Waze CarPlay just cuts the call. When my girlfriend called me back after the call was cut, I couldn't hear her at all despite her being able to hear me, so I had to cut the call and call her back to be able to hear her. All in all, Apple CarPlay in a VW at least, is useless...

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Waze is pretty good, Apple CarPlay in a VW at least, is useless.
Yeah, I’m not sure you can blame apple for vw’s poor design. An iOS update couldn’t possibly fix that.

Neuk_

Expert Member
Yeah, I’m not sure you can blame apple for vw’s poor design. An iOS update couldn’t possibly fix that.
Hence me mentioning VW, as at least the dashboard cluster integration is not a CarPlay feature, although not being able to be on a call and view Waze at the same time I presume is. From a safety and comfort point of view, I prefer using the steering wheel controls and being able to look at my recent calls in the dashboard cluster for instance, taking my left hand off the steering wheel and averting my eyes to touch the touch screen.

Duan

Unfortunately, I was 100% correct, Apple Carplay in my MkVII Golf is still no where near as good as simply using Bluetooth and the standard MIBII radio interface. Using Waze on the large touch screen is really good although it not being at eye level is distracting but the biggest issues still remain, like the steering wheel controls and the phone and music menu in the dashboard cluster are rendered useless. I also discovered this morning that if I want to make a call to someone but still have Waze open to follow a route, I simply can't as when I try go back to Waze CarPlay just cuts the call. When my girlfriend called me back after the call was cut, I couldn't hear her at all despite her being able to hear me, so I had to cut the call and call her back to be able to hear her. All in all, Apple CarPlay in a VW at least, is useless...
There is a guy on Facebook selling the RCD330 which is mostly a plug and play replacement for your VW head unit. It works surprisingly well and costs less than R4k

I replaced my RCD510 in my VW CC with this unit and everything works more than good enough. There are some small niggles like rebooting the HU once a month, but other than that it’s awesome.

Duan

There is a guy on Facebook selling the RCD330 which is mostly a plug and play replacement for your VW head unit. It works surprisingly well and costs less than R4k

I replaced my RCD510 in my VW CC with this unit and everything works more than good enough. There are some small niggles like rebooting the HU once a month, but other than that it’s awesome.
For those interested: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/160810844608513/

Neuk_

Expert Member

What is the difference between the RCD330 and what I already have in my Golf?

Neuk_

Expert Member
It may not look quite as snazy as the one you have, but it has a lot more functionality.

Have a look at this forum: http://rcd330plus.com/index.php

The one I got was the RCD330 plus noname 178b
I unfortunately don't have the time to trawl through a forum looking for the differences and Google is not providing any meaningful results. What additional functionality does the RCD330 have versus the MIB II in my Golf?

Duan

I don’t have the time to write a comparative review. I was just trying to help.

I don’t sell the stuff and have no other agenda.

Neuk_

Expert Member
I don’t have the time to write a comparative review. I was just trying to help.

I don’t sell the stuff and have no other agenda.
Sure, thanks, I thought you might know the differences since you have an RCD330. I spoke to a friend who has an RCD330 in his wife's MkIF Tiguan and an MIB II radio in his new Mk6 Polo and he says the RCD330 doesn't have a lot of what the MIB II has, especially in terms of integration in to the car on the VAG MQB platform. I have never had any issues with the MIB II, it is one of the best standard radio's in any car I have ever owned or driven, it is just the CarPlay integration that is a big let down.

Last edited:

Neuk_

Expert Member
I just tried CarPlay in a colleagues MkII Tiguan which has the new Discover Pro radio, Active Info Display and HUD and the same issues persist with not being able to access either your phone or media using the steering wheel controls via the Active Info Display.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
I just tried CarPlay in a colleagues MkII Tiguan which has the new Discover Pro radio, Active Info Display and HUD and the same issues persist with not being able to access either your phone or media using the steering wheel controls via the Active Info Display.
That is swak from VW's part. Even more so as it's their topline system.