Waze now supports Apple CarPlay

Neuk_

Expert Member
I have been using CarPlay on a daily basis and am slowly adjusting to it but still find the lack of at least telephone information in the dashboard cluster irritating. Take this morning for instance, my girlfriend called on the way to work, the main entertainment screen went blank and the dashboard cluster simply says Apple CarPlay so I couldn't see who was calling. Like I said, an irritation more than a train smash but it does put a damper on the experience, like CarPlay crashing at times and restarting itself.
I took another call from my girlfriend on the way home from work yesterday afternoon with no issues and I even managed to switch the entertainment screen back to Waze while remaining on the call. I am going to test something out in the next few days regarding answering calls to see what effect it has, I have a theory that I want to test.

Neuk_

Expert Member
Tried Waze... didn't like it or see any reason to use it over anything else... so I deleted it.
Are you currently using Google Maps? I love Waze and haven't used anything else in years.

bwana

MyBroadband
Are you currently using Google Maps? I love Waze and haven't used anything else in years.
Yes - I got my car back the other day so it's been my first opportunity to do so on iOS12. Waze was laggy as hell.

Neuk_

Expert Member
Yes - I got my car back the other day so it's been my first opportunity to do so on iOS12. Waze was laggy as hell.
Cool, I have found a few differences between the iPhone and CarPlay versions of Waze but it is still my everyday go to GPS.

Neuk_

Expert Member
It was going so well...

This morning I both received and made a call where the person on the other end could hear me but I could hear absolutely nothing. It is definitely not a Bluetooth issue as my iPhone is no longer paired with my car, it is connected via cable. Other than this it has been going fairly well, I am getting used to not having so much information at my disposal using CarPlay.

tRoN

Executive Member
So does the latest 2018 VW models that have “composition media” as a paid extra come with CarPlay as standard?

I’ve read that you have to pay again for activation? That can’t be true

creeper

Executive Member
Waze wasn’t great on a long trip. It crashed quite often, especially when cell reception was bad. I’m a bit disappointed.

There is however a new game you can play with your kids. Install Waze and let them tag any incidents while driving.

Neuk_

Expert Member
So does the latest 2018 VW models that have “composition media” as a paid extra come with CarPlay as standard?

For the bulk of VW's, composition media does not include activation of CarPlay, MirrorLink, etc. and you will need to pay a VW dealership to purchase an activation code and activate it on your radio. Some VW's, like mine which I bought with composition media, SatNav and the upgraded sound system came with it activated already.

Neuk_

Expert Member
Waze wasn’t great on a long trip. It crashed quite often, especially when cell reception was bad. I’m a bit disappointed.

There is however a new game you can play with your kids. Install Waze and let them tag any incidents while driving.
It crashes for me quite regularly as well :X3:

tRoN

Executive Member
For the bulk of VW's, composition media does not include activation of CarPlay, MirrorLink, etc. and you will need to pay a VW dealership to purchase an activation code and activate it on your radio. Some VW's, like mine which I bought with composition media, SatNav and the upgraded sound system came with it activated already.
Picked up vehicle. CarPlay working but voice control needs “dealer activation”
I don’t like the Waze interface on CarPlay. Too busy. Wish my tomtom app will work on CarPlay

bwana

MyBroadband
I don’t like the Waze interface on CarPlay. Too busy. Wish my tomtom app will work on CarPlay
That just prompted me to check my subscription status on the Tom Tom app. It expires in April and I don’t think I’m going to extend it. It’s certainly has its advantages but not enough to justify the cost.

Neuk_

Expert Member
Strange, I have never heard of that being the case, it has always been the entire App Connect that needs to be activated by the dealer.

I am still using Waze via Carplay, it works fairly well despite a few issues that I have experienced.

krycor

Honorary Master

Phone-app stability issue? I’ve used Waze on an iPhone while playing music/podcasts from Jhb North to Cpt and sometimes on charger too. Bluetooth not CarPlay but my point was the app was stable albeit I did stop it every 3-4hrs when we did a major stop (minor I just left it running).

This includes some places where reception is bad and speed signs are a luxury so yea.. no issues.

krycor

Honorary Master

I find the whole CarPlay/Android thing funny with car manufacturers as the expensive brands seem to want to charge their customers for the luxury of using it while the cheaper brands give it for free.. it’s funny.

Ecko_1

My new Polo has the composition media which was a paid for option. The app connect was a zero cost option. Android auto works perfectly