WBS Bandwidth meter

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Hi all,

Quickly checked my router at home, and I saw that the PPPoE connection was disconnected and re-connected just after 12 this morning.

Went to the WBS Bandwidth monitor, and there has been no movement on it ... still shows the same results as two days ago.

Anyone experiencing the same? :confused:

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Its not that I am worried ... just thinking in the lines of: Maybe someone from WBS did read the forum, and decided to stop the metering until speeds have been restored.

jmn

LandyMan said:
Its not that I am worried ... just thinking in the lines of: Maybe someone from WBS did read the forum, and decided to stop the metering until speeds have been restored.

Damn, mine's still counting, so I'm not on list for favouritism... :rolleyes:

ic

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
jmn said:
Damn, mine's still counting, so I'm not on list for favouritism... :rolleyes:
Or nepotism...

LandyMan

Honorary Master
I resent that ...

ic said:
Or nepotism...

The fact that I may or may not work for WBS does not mean that I get all your bandwidth that you don't use or use during a month ... or does it? :D

Rob

Thinking of getting iburst

Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting broadband, is iburst any good, is it worth getting?

Thanks.

slimothy

Banned
rob, yes it is a good product however there are a few problems as of late that are expected to last for about 3-5 days (some people are sorted out already and others will have to wait the full 5 days) so bear in mind the responses you will get will be largley biased from pissed off customers who expect the service to be all good all the time, without any space for hiccups.

But it can be a very good service, however this largley depends on wether or not you live in an area with a good signal and a good tower. It is 1mbit and thats great but the company is pretty young when it comes to being an ISP so I would say choose it if you can live with one or two problems from time to time.

Alot of the pissed off customers would love to turn you away because they are angry and thus don't want WBS receiving any more customers so let me just say this: Get a reseller to come to your house to test the signal. Be sure to find a sweet spot so you can see it at its full capacity and decide for yourself wether or not it is worth it. Tradepage (www.wirelessza.co.za) will come to your house for free. It's not all cut and dry though, you can't just plop the modem anywhere for 1mbit speeds, YOU NEED to find the sweet spot and if you can use applications to multithread then all the better. For me its a great product

Rob

Thanks Slimothy,
I stay in the Pinelands area, does anyone else in Pinelands have iburst. I heard that the tower is on the Garden City Heights building?

Also, isn't 3Gigs far too little when you are downloading at 1Mb/s?
Isn't the price a bit steep for only 3Gigs?

slimothy

Banned
its is steep, and we've only had the cap since the 2nd of april, before we could download as much as we wanted, so I would say that is my biggest problem with the service, but they might be rolling out an uncapped package soon and that will hopefully have a reasonable price.

One advantage over ADSL is that once you are capped they throttle the service but you can still access local and international, plus they do allow you to buy more Gbs as and when you need them. But yes if you were to download at full capacity you could eat 3Gb in a few hours.

Rob

What kind kind of speed do you get on DL's once you have reached the cap? 6Kbs?

slimothy

Banned
Rob said:
What kind kind of speed do you get on DL's once you have reached the cap? 6Kbs?
the speeds are 64kbit, so closer to 8kBytes/s however when I was throttled I was able to download at around 16KB/s average and it hit 20KB/s for short periods

Rob

Sheesh, iburst is starting to sound really good!
Now can anyone in the Pinelands/Goodwood area tell me what their speeds and signal is like?

Marcus

Rob - I have been using i-Burst for 6 weeks now and find it really a good service compared to the last broadband provider I had (been on B/B for 5 yrs - even when it was ILLEGAL!!!). I live in Claremont, Cape Town and have 100% signal strength ALL the time and minimum DL speeds of 70 -80% of max. The capping is a pain in the a#se, but still not an expensive option to purchase more. I think give the company some time to sort out the bugs and we should have a pretty decent service provider.