We’ll turn our economy around, whether people like it or not' – Ramaphosa

kolaval

Expert Member
Um, that strikes me as the worst possible scenario. The only way things will improve is when there is a major shift in attitude, outlook, and values in the populace. The only way that will happen is when there is literally no more money for free shyt and people are starving. Unfortunately by then, the infrastructure will be in its moer and there will be nothing to invest in except cheap labour which no one wants anymore anyway. This countries destined to be just another African basket case. Still better than a lot of bloodshed though.
I agree but I'm guessing there's more of the striking/looting population than not?
Added to that is that they are uneducated and uneducatable.

And once they start hearing "no" they will riot ever more violently. So it becomes a circle of ever increasing violence.

So they cannot lift themselves up and the next generation will be more of the same.
How does one solve 30% unemployment, where people have no skills let alone reading and writing? There's only so many jobs an unskilled labourer can do.

IMHO gov should fix the education system and enforce it. Then at least future generations have a chance.

deesef

In a perfect world , maybe the DA.
Bull. The new-look DA are useless. For example, the streetlights in many suburbs in Pretoria have been out of action for about 2 months already.

I have reported the streetlights in my suburb twice, with NO response from the Tshwane Metro. I then raised the issue with the DA Councillor in the DA led city, also getting no response from him. After my second attempt, he eventually said that "Currrently there is a problem emanating from the central procurement department and there is a shortage of day/night switches and luminaires".

There is apparently no timeline for a resolution, while the jolly criminals run amok under cover of darkness in the capital city of South Africa...

The only thing that the DA does well is raise taxes disproportionally.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
It floors me... after all that has happened with the ANC over the last 20 years... that people still believe their crap. They are not even GOOD liars.
When 30% is a pass its quite easy to BS the masses.

The ANC has the electorate exactly where they want them; retarded and dependent.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
The last time an ANC prez threatened to implement something 'whether we like it or not', we got saddled with e-tolls & corruption firmly entrenched in our democracy.

So be sceptical when a frog-boiler promises to turn the Titanic around but fails to even paddle-steer a canoe 180 degrees.

Remember e-tolls is just one province, only a few billion ronds and a handful of role players. How's he gonna turn the country around when he demonstrated inability to do anything about something simple like e-tolls?

His school rapport would say something like: better than Zuma, plays well with others but hugely overestimates it's abilities.

Last edited:

Arthur

Honorary Master
What dismays me about politicians talking about "turning round the economy" is the assumption that somehow politicians "manage" the economy.

They don't.

Even worse, our society has bought into the idea that the State is the main driver of the economy.

It isn't.

The economy is in the hands of the productive sector, not the government.

Take electricity. Of course South Africa has plenty of capable people who can very competently run a power generation businesses. But we have chosen to have a State-owned monopoly power producer under the thumb of politicians, where it's illegal to compete with the State's monopoly business. And so creative and productive people are by law prevented from starting and running a power company.

Same with airlines, postal services, manufacturing, banking, telecommunications, defence equipment, healthcare, education, housing, …. etc, etc, etc.

Every single cent the State has it takes from the productive sector. It has no money of its own.

All the State sector (ie the unproductive sector staffed by politicians and civil servants) can do is meddle, interfere, restrict, limit, curb, hamper, obstruct, handicap, retard, block, slow, and distort the productive economic relations and activities of workers and entrepreneurs.

In other words, when it comes to the economy, the State is by nature a limiter, a restricter, a reducer, a distorter. It tells other people what they may and may not do with their lives, work and money.

If politicians want to get the economy going they need to get off the backs of the productive sector, scrap the thousands of laws that limit and hinder, and ensure the optimal environment is there for peace, security, justice. Protect lives, property rights, and set the people free to do their business as they know best. It is the job of the State to protect and vindicate our right to life, liberty, and the fruits of our labour. That means just and sound laws that enable rather than limit, a powerful and professional police force, and independent courts.

The rest is up to us.

Set the people free. Get off our backs.

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
Bull. The new-look DA are useless. For example, the streetlights in many suburbs in Pretoria have been out of action for about 2 months already.

I have reported the streetlights in my suburb twice, with NO response from the Tshwane Metro. I then raised the issue with the DA Councillor in the DA led city, also getting no response from him. After my second attempt, he eventually said that "Currrently there is a problem emanating from the central procurement department and there is a shortage of day/night switches and luminaires".

There is apparently no timeline for a resolution, while the jolly criminals run amok under cover of darkness in the capital city of South Africa...

The only thing that the DA does well is raise taxes disproportionally.
Strange they aren't doing to bad in my area of Johannesburg. Reported things and it gets fixed, maybe chat to your ward councillor.

Nick333

Honorary Master
So, you have any suggestions as to anyone with a clue who would actually be able to "fix this mess"?
The problem that Cyril and anyone with the job faces is the backlash that they will face if they do what's necessary. Retrench thousands of Eskom employees and the unions will go ballistic for instance. It's not that the correct things to do aren't obvious, it's that the consequences will be as bad as doing the correct thing.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
Wow.. and Zuma promised million of jobs. More than once...

And yet Cyril shoot his mouth off, with no plan of action lol. Not even a hint of what they looking at to change.

O wait.. he is building Wakanda... yes that will turn our economy around.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Is he going to step in and shut this nhi garbage down? That thing will sink this economy even worse than the nuclear deal would have.

furpile

Expert Member
Sigh. You all do (not) realise that Cyril actually means what he says? And don't get the fact that the PP and the Zuma supporters are actually achieving their aim of draining and deflecting him, Gordhan and others from what they are trying to do? As in get SA back on track.

What's wrong with you folks? Are you all ex-pats actually hoping for SA to fall?

Compare:
We’ll turn our economy around, whether people like it or not' – Ramaphosa

The president said there were plans to continue raising investments to grow the country’s economy.
with:
"I would like to say the NHI is here to stay, whether people like it or not… it's going nowhere," said Ramaphosa.
Almost everybody outside of the ANC is saying the NHI will destroy SA, but Cyril says it is here to stay. How will that help to grow the economy? Why should anybody still believe what he says when he is contradicting himself?

Ponderer

Expert Member
What dismays me about politicians talking about "turning round the economy" is the assumption that somehow politicians "manage" the economy.

They don't.

Even worse, our society has bought into the idea that the State is the main driver of the economy.

It isn't.

The economy is in the hands of the productive sector, not the government.

Take electricity. Of course South Africa has plenty of capable people who can very competently run a power generation businesses. But we have chosen to have a State-owned monopoly power producer under the thumb of politicians, where it's illegal to compete with the State's monopoly business. And so creative and productive people are by law prevented from starting and running a power company.

Same with airlines, postal services, manufacturing, banking, telecommunications, defence equipment, healthcare, education, housing, …. etc, etc, etc.

Every single cent the State has it takes from the productive sector. It has no money of its own.

All the State sector (ie the unproductive sector staffed by politicians and civil servants) can do is meddle, interfere, restrict, limit, curb, hamper, obstruct, handicap, retard, block, slow, and distort the productive economic relations and activities of workers and entrepreneurs.

In other words, when it comes to the economy, the State is by nature a limiter, a restricter, a reducer, a distorter. It tells other people what they may and may not do with their lives, work and money.

If politicians want to get the economy going they need to get off the backs of the productive sector, scrap the thousands of laws that limit and hinder, and ensure the optimal environment is there for peace, security, justice. Protect lives, property rights, and set the people free to do their business as they know best. It is the job of the State to protect and vindicate our right to life, liberty, and the fruits of our labour. That means just and sound laws that enable rather than limit, a powerful and professional police force, and independent courts.

The rest is up to us.

Set the people free. Get off our backs.
Well assessed.
The State is parasitic - politicians are nothing other than parasites.
The problem is the level of greed of the current government (State) - they are over feeding, and bleeding its hosts (the citizens of the country which they feed on) dry.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
That R300bn R290bn investment he's talking about:
Investment announcements were made from companies in mining, forestry, manufacturing, telecommunications, transport, energy, agro-processing, consumer goods, pharmaceuticals, infrastructure, financial services, energy, ICT and water.

Among the investments were Sanral which pledged R9.5 billion, R40 billion was committed by NAAMSA, Aspen with R3.4 billion, Vodacom R50 billion, Acwa power R9.6 billion and R29 billion from the New Development Bank.
[...]
In a bid to further draw investments, delegates at the conference entered into breakaway sessions where a total of R10 billion was raised collectively.

During the breakaway session on energy, R1 billion worth of investment in LPG gas pledged by Bidvest.
https://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/cyril-ramaphosa-r290-billion-investment-oct-2018/
Still not sure where he gets the additional R140bn from, without taking into account those companies were going to invest that amount anyways.
If you look at e.g. Vodacom:
1565849833316.png
2019 report: http://www.vodacom-reports.co.za/integrated-reports/ir-2019/pdf/afs.pdf
If that R40bn is over say 2+ years, then that means they changed nothing besides what they were going to do anyways.

Ramaphose does not mention additional investment only, nor their time frames and whether any of the "investment capital" he's secured has actually materialized.

His target is ~$20bn/R300bn a year:
As part of his efforts to revive Africa’s most-industrialized economy, Ramaphosa hosted an investment summit in October to boost his target of attracting $100 billion of inflows into the country over five years.
https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2019-07-19-ramaphosas-south-africa-investment-goal-gets-boost-from-pepsi/
He's trying to attract 5% of our GDP ($390bn) a year in investment, I'm highly doubting he'd manage it.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Strange they aren't doing to bad in my area of Johannesburg. Reported things and it gets fixed, maybe chat to your ward councillor.
Come to Fourways and you'll find complexes that have been without water for weeks. Streetlights that don't work. Traffic lights that don't work. Potholes. Collapsing bridges. Road barriers that have been knocked over and are lying in the street. Filthy pavements. >20 people loitering with criminals every traffic intersection. Roads that haven't been completed. Illegal signage. Burst pipes. Broken and blocked stormwater drains. etc. etc.

Of the last 5 e-mails I've sent our ward councillor, he replied to 1 - by CC'ing in an extra person into the conversation. Gee, thanks.