We’ll turn our economy around, whether people like it or not' – Ramaphosa

LaraC

Honorary Master
I really hope the turnaround doesn't mean going further backwards. :rolleyes:

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
When the people ask questions that are not in their own best interest, they should simply be told to keep their minds on their own labour and leave matters of the state to the state.

Splinter

Honorary Master
The problem that Cyril and anyone with the job faces is the backlash that they will face if they do what's necessary. Retrench thousands of Eskom employees and the unions will go ballistic for instance. It's not that the correct things to do aren't obvious, it's that the consequences will be as bad as doing the correct thing.
Absolutely. Cyril is walking a tightrope while actually trying to bring SA back off its knees.

Almost everybody outside of the ANC is saying the NHI will destroy SA, but Cyril says it is here to stay. How will that help to grow the economy? Why should anybody still believe what he says when he is contradicting himself?
Agreed that NHI is much like the nuclear deal - totally not affordable. The difference is Cyril completely taking the NHI off the table will be be political suicide for him. So he is playing the game. I very much doubt it will come into fruition for many years. If ever.

I might be wrong, but I think most of us are the opposite: patriots hoping for SA to thrive.

Problem is, CR is clearly doing f-all on that "thriving part", if one could wish things into existence then sure, but then I'd be rolling off a celebrity hottie every other night as well. The world does not work that way, would be nice if CR could at least grow the balls to say THAT outright instead of his pie-in-the-sky BS.
Like I keep on saying - Cyril is playing politics to keep himself in power over the zuptoids. If he fails, we will get the zuptoids back in power and then you will REALLY have a reason to complain.

Splinter

Honorary Master
“We are going to see some good things coming out of Eskom, that I promise you.” Cyril Ramaphosa, 11 June 2015
I don't believe Cyril was in "power" then? Having said that, at least Eskom is still the main power utility. As opposed to the trillion Rand plus Zuma was going to give Putin for nuclear reactors.

access

Executive Member
Absolutely. Cyril is walking a tightrope while actually trying to bring SA back off its knees.

Agreed that NHI is much like the nuclear deal - totally not affordable. The difference is Cyril completely taking the NHI off the table will be be political suicide for him. So he is playing the game. I very much doubt it will come into fruition for many years. If ever.

Like I keep on saying - Cyril is playing politics to keep himself in power over the zuptoids. If he fails, we will get the zuptoids back in power and then you will REALLY have a reason to complain.
and if nothing changes and it remains the same?

what do you mean by walking a tightrope? keep himself in power while letting the rest do as they please in case he upsets them. its just more time going by while the status quo remains the same, just like all before. rinse repeat.

walking a tightrope is a circus act... we've been having the circus acts for decades now. we had the ring master introduce the show at the beginning. now its basically saying its just someone else performing a new act, the clown interlude has past.

Splinter

Honorary Master
and if nothing changes and it remains the same?

what do you mean by walking a tightrope? keep himself in power while letting the rest do as they please in case he upsets them. its just more time going by while the status quo remains the same, just like all before. rinse repeat.

walking a tightrope is a circus act... we've been having the circus acts for decades now. we had the ring master introduce the show at the beginning. now its basically saying its just someone else performing a new act, the clown interlude has past.
While I appreciate your flowery circus rhetoric, you are not addressing anything I said in any meaningful way.

Milano

Honorary Master
I don't believe Cyril was in "power" then? Having said that, at least Eskom is still the main power utility. As opposed to the trillion Rand plus Zuma was going to give Putin for nuclear reactors.
Of course not (some might say neither is he in power now). It does naturally reflect poorly on his character, integrity and his reputation as to why he was making false baseless promises in his own personal capacity. It also makes me question why anyone would trust his character any more now.

Nevertheless whether the Soviet-inspired National Democratic Revolution continues under Zuma or Ramaphosa or Lenin it is still the same NDR.

Never lose sight of the truth: Zuma was supported by the same ANC and the same Ramaphosa until they were literally forced almost at gunpoint to force his resignation.

“We are saying that the integrity of the president remains intact and that this president has the ability and know-how to lead our government and South Africa going forward.” Cyril Ramaphosa, 24 March 2014 [referring to Zuma in response to the Public Protector’s Nkandla report]

"Without a revolutionary theory there cannot be a revolutionary movement." Vladimir Lenin

Paul_S

Expert Member

I disagree. If Cyril wants to turn the goverment and economy around he needs to stick his neck out and start making difficult choices NOW!

We're hanging on the last rung of the investment grade ratings, skilled people are leaving the country in droves, Eskom is on the verge of sinking our entire economy and then he goes and signs the NHI bill into law effectively ensuring that there will be no health care worth talking about in future.

"Playing the game" or "walking the tightrope" is not going to help one bit if he sits by and watches our government, economy and social cohesion go down the drain from which there may be no return.

If he sticks his neck out and gets axed from the ANC then it's a hell of a lot better than what he's doing now and he can leave with his integrity intact. At the moment he just appears to be another ANC stooge and is losing the respect of many South Africans while our country circles the drain.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
I disagree. If Cyril wants to turn the goverment and economy around he needs to stick his neck out and start making difficult choices NOW!

We're hanging on the last rung of the investment grade ratings, skilled people are leaving the country in droves, Eskom is on the verge of sinking our entire economy and then he goes and signs the NHI bill into law effectively ensuring that there will be no health care worth talking about in future.

"Playing the game" or "walking the tightrope" is not going to help one bit if he sits by and watches our government, economy and social cohesion go down the drain from which there may be no return.

If he sticks his neck out and gets axed from the ANC then it's a hell of a lot better than what he's doing now and he can leave with his integrity intact. At the moment he just appears to be another ANC stooge and is losing the respect of many South Africans while our country circles the drain.
^^^ this

the country is burning, we don't have time for CR to "play politics"

Polymathic

Honorary Master
CR has a realistic chance of getting 10% annual GDP growth in a couple years. All he needs is the economy from now to that time.