We are closer than anyone to deploying 5G - Telkom

Joseph matane

First problem Telkom will deploy 5G to areas which already have ftth coverage now, no matter is vumatel or who is covering the areas with ftth. Telkom need to consider capital cities coverage within first roll out phase, so that all nine provinces may get to experience 5G benefits even if is 10 5G towers per province

Eat my shorts

Seems Telkom CEO never works, just talks to mybroadband?

Telkom your years of being "first" are over.
Fiber has surpassed you long ago before you woke up that ADSL is dead.

Swa

Honorary Master
There's no such thing as 4.5G. LTE-A is 4G. LTE can be described as 3.5G. And unless Telkom actually launches in the next 3 months they aren't "closer than anyone".

First problem Telkom will deploy 5G to areas which already have ftth coverage now, no matter is vumatel or who is covering the areas with ftth. Telkom need to consider capital cities coverage within first roll out phase, so that all nine provinces may get to experience 5G benefits even if is 10 5G towers per province
10 won't even be sufficient in a town let alone a province to give a usable 5G experience.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Telkom uses LTE. The next jump is NR radio standard, which is 5G. They do have LTE-Advance Pro, but it is not 5G. AT&T tried to pull that marketing stunt in the US and got burned.

Telkom has far more LTE spectrum (in 2300MHz) than MTN and Vodacom, who are serving more customers but on less spectrum. If they invested in LTE-Advance Pro in more areas and on more towers, they could pull ahead in the race.

ekske1

Executive Member

Swa

Honorary Master
Where I live, LTE is the fastest thing available. I'm not unhappy with 30-80Mbps, not in the slightest.
He isn't wrong. LTE is actually a 3G technology. And speeds don't come close to what they were touted. LTE-A should be >1Gbps.

https://www.huawei.com/minisite/4-5g/en/

Damn bro you better call Hauwei, looks like they were wrong with LTE-A Pro.
Go look up the definitions. There's no such thing. Thank networks for trying to blur the lines to look good.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Seems Telkom CEO never works, just talks to mybroadband?

Telkom your years of being "first" are over.
Fiber has surpassed you long ago before you woke up that ADSL is dead.
I've had Openserve fibre for quite a while now. Had it at the previous house too. Telkom isn't that bad. I just wish Openserve connections weren't almost 50% more expensive than those on the private networks.

johnhr

Where I live, in Merrivale KZN we can't even get 3G so all this means absolutely nothing to me because it won't affect me. They only worry about the people in the big cities

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Have to say , in and around Durban there is at least one new tower going up every week, a number of them are the really short towers. I think they are under 10m in height

whatwhat

Executive Member
He isn't wrong. LTE is actually a 3G technology. And speeds don't come close to what they were touted. LTE-A should be >1Gbps.

Go look up the definitions. There's no such thing. Thank networks for trying to blur the lines to look good.
https://www.3gpp.org/news-events/1745-lte-advanced_pro

You can't understand eBucks yet you claim to understand cellular networking standards?