We are grieving — it feels like losing a family member’

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
We have to much regulation. To the point were a poor builder can't just built his own home.

The government and 10 other people first want a cut.
Barring the NHBRC crap... I haven't had to pay anyone anything specific other than mandated application fees to the appropriate municipal entity. No other people wanted any cuts.

And none of the regulations I've had to deal with have been in any way shape or form onerous for a simple house build.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
There is too much regulation full stop.

The regulations are not fundamentally about safety, but about petty minded individuals with nothing better to do that think up ways they can dictate what you can and can't do. As a result many perfectly functional things are forbidden and replaced with costly alternatives for no damn good reason.

Septic tanks for example. To get poop to soakaway properly it has to decompose, once poop is decomposed it no longer poses any kind of health risk. Poop into a plastic bucket, close it up, put aside for 6 months and you have wonderful safe fertilizer, but you can't build a soak-away system anymore. You have to put in an expensive sealed tank, which requires a municipal truck to come and empty for you. Mine overflowed on Sunday because the truck didn't come when it was supposed to, but if I had not had to comply with the stupid regulations I would not have raw sewage running down my garden with all the mess and health risks attached, not to mention the inconvenience of having to be home all day every alternate Wednesday for the stupid truck to come. Plus all the noise etc that that entails.

And there is a wonderful design for a perfectly functional soak-away system using old tyres that was designed by engineers (so not a mickey mouse thing) being used in South America. Cost - next to nothing. Labour to dig the hole if you can't do it yourself. My septic tank - over R20 000 and it's tiny.

So yes, we are over bloody regulated for no good reason at all.

There are award winning designs out there for homes from recycled materials that are cheap and easy to construct - so cheap and easy your average granny can do it on their own. But you can't do it.
Sorry wait what.. you have to empty your septic system once every 2 weeks? What kind of shyte designed system do you have in place... most people with septic tanks that I'm aware of only ever have to have it done once every few years just to keep things in good order.

I have also not come across any problems using innovative systems and such, so long as I can show to the inspectorate that it does the same job as the approved stuff, or does it better... and usually the company I'm sourcing the stuff from has done that work before they market it to the public. Example being the Kaytech soakaway system to replace rainwater soakpits... to the point that eThekwini municipality prefers them over built soakpits as they are safer, cheaper and more effective.

Lupus

Honorary Master
" I was happy that the days of paying rent were over as I had my own home."
This part? I mean I have my own home, but I've got 18 years of a bond left on it, meaning I'm paying for it. It didn't just fall into my lap.

Pitbull

Verboten
The people were wrong to build where they did. When the river floods their homes will flood and then they will fall down anyway. The government was wrong to demolish them without warning and without making provision for the people to move with dignity.
What k@k mentality is this?

ILLEGAL structures. They should not have been there to begin with. The more we allow this, the more it's happening. There should however be a time frame on it. You can't have people move in there and try and remove them 2 years later... Stop them the moment they move in. It's not that hard...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
" I was happy that the days of paying rent were over as I had my own home."
This part? I mean I have my own home, but I've got 18 years of a bond left on it, meaning I'm paying for it. It didn't just fall into my lap.
That is such a western concept, it has no place here....

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Sorry wait what.. you have to empty your septic system once every 2 weeks? What kind of shyte designed system do you have in place... most people with septic tanks that I'm aware of only ever have to have it done once every few years just to keep things in good order.

I have also not come across any problems using innovative systems and such, so long as I can show to the inspectorate that it does the same job as the approved stuff, or does it better... and usually the company I'm sourcing the stuff from has done that work before they market it to the public. Example being the Kaytech soakaway system to replace rainwater soakpits... to the point that eThekwini municipality prefers them over built soakpits as they are safer, cheaper and more effective.
Clearly your municipality allows soakaways, mine doesn't. And you are probably comparing a soak-away that has filled up, to a proper closed tank, which fill up damn fast.

Mila

Honorary Master
No sympathy.
Sorry.
It was still stolen property.

Why would you spend your money on building on stolen property?
Did they build cash?
Who approved the plans?

You would have been warned.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Clearly your municipality allows soakaways, mine doesn't. And you are probably comparing a soak-away that has filled up, to a proper closed tank, which fill up damn fast.
Which municipality are you based in that the are so backwards so to be blatantly ignoring SANS 10400 - Part Q
But no, I'm not talking about SoakAways, but septic tanks....

Last edited:

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
There is too much regulation full stop.

The regulations are not fundamentally about safety, but about petty minded individuals with nothing better to do that think up ways they can dictate what you can and can't do. As a result many perfectly functional things are forbidden and replaced with costly alternatives for no damn good reason.

Septic tanks for example. To get poop to soakaway properly it has to decompose, once poop is decomposed it no longer poses any kind of health risk. Poop into a plastic bucket, close it up, put aside for 6 months and you have wonderful safe fertilizer, but you can't build a soak-away system anymore. You have to put in an expensive sealed tank, which requires a municipal truck to come and empty for you. Mine overflowed on Sunday because the truck didn't come when it was supposed to, but if I had not had to comply with the stupid regulations I would not have raw sewage running down my garden with all the mess and health risks attached, not to mention the inconvenience of having to be home all day every alternate Wednesday for the stupid truck to come. Plus all the noise etc that that entails.

And there is a wonderful design for a perfectly functional soak-away system using old tyres that was designed by engineers (so not a mickey mouse thing) being used in South America. Cost - next to nothing. Labour to dig the hole if you can't do it yourself. My septic tank - over R20 000 and it's tiny.

So yes, we are over bloody regulated for no good reason at all.

There are award winning designs out there for homes from recycled materials that are cheap and easy to construct - so cheap and easy your average granny can do it on their own. But you can't do it.

As much as I hear what you are saying about regulations and hoops for people who just want to own a home, the fact is that regulations are there for a reason.

To counter your example of the septic tanks, the problem is that you, personally, may know what you are doing on turning feces to fertilizer, but in reality it is not that simple, most people will just think that you can poop in a container, cover it with something and then in a couple of weeks you have fertilizer. What they don't know is that you will still need add some form of sugar, protein or glucose material to the feces in order to have the bacteria in the feces convert the material to nitrogen and then after that has happened you need to ensure that you cover and warm the feces/fertilizer up enough to ensure that all the living bacteria (and potential pathogens) have been killed correctly. In an area where local knowledge of health is already low, it can become quite a problem with diseases and contamination in an area which is highly populated at close quarters if someone does not do this correctly.

This is one of the reasons you have regulations about this type of thing in your above example. If someone is really sick and has been passing on pathogenic bacteria in their diarrhea and you don't handle it correctly and you allow the community to cover their lawns or grow their vegetables in the fertilizer and then sell it into the community, you could have a major health risk on your hands

Gnome

Executive Member
Property and ownership is a white concept. If you get there first and build there first then it is yours!

Back in the day people from these parts probably would have just killed each other if someone built somewhere more desirable. Now it is just about being first.

noxibox

Honorary Master
And none of the regulations I've had to deal with have been in any way shape or form onerous for a simple house build.
They're onerous when you're a shifty builder looking to put up shoddy structures for a quick profit without any repercussions. How dare anyone make regulations requiring them to do honest, quality work?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
They're onerous when you're a shifty builder looking to put up shoddy structures for a quick profit without any repercussions. How dare anyone make regulations requiring them to do honest, quality work?
Well yes of course... But if you follow them it's simple and jt doesn't require bribing people.